motor temp with electric fan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be whatever you want it to be.

Typically they run a gasoline engine from 160 degrees to over 212 degrees.

Performance street cars often are run with 180 degree thermostat. That is also the optimum temp for motor oil in most older engine designs (oil runs about 20 degrees hotter than the coolant). Less pinging on regular gasoline too.

Most emission-controlled engines are run hot, 212 degree thermostat, which requires a radiator pressure cap to prevent boiling. This also makes the radiator more efficient (can use a smaller radiator, the hotter it runs).

Fan setting I'm not sure. It probably should be set a bit higher than the thermostat but not much higher.

Edited by ggzilla
just set your switch to the temp needle. I just waited for my truck to warm up until the temp needle is in the center of the gauge then set the fan to kick on then. Hope this helps.

x2 works like a charm :thumbsup:

Temp sensor should be low in the rad or on the return to block hose. Generally, if you are moving above 20-30 MPH there will be enough air passing through the rad from vehicle speed for cooling. If the sender is too close to the engine top hose the fan will trigger all the time. Give the rad a chance to cool the water first. My switch is spliced into the middle of the lower rad hose and uses an '86 CA20 200sx sensor. All I did was cut out about 2" and gear clamp in.

yeha mine is close to the lower radiator hose. Hey datsunmike do you have yours wired through your ignition? do you think its needed?

I think it should be hot all the time. After a very hot day (110) in traffic you pull into the hot parking lot and shut her down and walk into Wall Mart. (whatever) The residual heat soaks into the coolant and sends it sky high. Pressure rises, hoses bulge, rad cap gets ready to vent. Now would be a good time for the electric fan to come on and blow some of that heat away.

I don't know if there would be enough convection circulation to reach the lower sensor or not. I know my dad's old Sundance fan will come on after shut down, but very rare and has to be very hot out.

Temp sensor should be low in the rad or on the return to block hose. Generally, if you are moving above 20-30 MPH there will be enough air passing through the rad from vehicle speed for cooling. If the sender is too close to the engine top hose the fan will trigger all the time. Give the rad a chance to cool the water first. My switch is spliced into the middle of the lower rad hose and uses an '86 CA20 200sx sensor. All I did was cut out about 2" and gear clamp in.

Mike the S12 temp switch is my trick!!!! :D