valve cover

Guest Rick-rat

Guest Rick-rat

My valve cover bolts on my L 16 keep coming loose, took all the bolts out tonight without a need for a wrench, tigtened them down with socket last time when it was cold and retightened the bolts when it was was warm.

Has anyone else had this happen? Should I put a little locktite on the bolts when I put it back on?

thanks Rick-rat

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe try a little rtv on the ends of the bolts?
For that though why not lock tight/thread lock w/e? I mean rtv would prob work by why not use the proper thing.

Have you tried retorquing them prior to them loosing up substantially again? Some cars require it but after the retorquing they hold.

For the valve cover bolts? All cars I've had, Datsun, Chrysler, Ford or GM, requires periodic re-tightening. Except for engines with a one-piece bead seal.

Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Ya me too but in my experience over time that gasket gives way when you do that. I had some weeping on my d21 and when I retorqued the gasket got all cracked up. Just an example of what I mean.

Cork prob holds up way better but still constant required retorquing is unacceptable to me.

Some of my past cars like the bimmer called for a 1 time re tq.

Guest DatsuNoob
For that though why not lock tight/thread lock w/e? I mean rtv would prob work by why not use the proper thing.

Have you tried retorquing them prior to them loosing up substantially again? Some cars require it but after the retorquing they hold.

You may want to be able to get them off some day, right? I've found that using rtv on bolt ends works well, without the super aggresive bond like loctite. Everyone knows how easy Datsun bolts shear off I'm sure.

You may want to be able to get them off some day, right? I've found that using rtv on bolt ends works well, without the super aggresive bond like loctite. Everyone knows how easy Datsun bolts shear off I'm sure.

Actually I never had a problem getting bolts out with anti seize on so I didn't think of it that way.

I wouldn't argue with you about ti but I honestly think if that a prob just a little dab would be fine. No?