M.I.G. welder

Time for a MIG welder. Have seen other's projects and can go only so far with a stick. My requirements are ...

Must be able to weld sheet metal. Body metal, oil pans and exhaust pipe etc.

Would like to weld aluminum.

I have a 220 volt/amp stick for really thick stuff.

Is the flux core as bad as they say, would I rather have the gas bottle? I assume a 220 would be better than 120volt unit?

Any suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the ability to go 220, do it. It's worth every extra penny. Plus, you'll need minimum 180 amps to be able to do any heavy gauge aluminum effectively.

For the money, I'd run either the MillerMatic 210 (or the new 212 model) or, if there's ever a question about being able to run 110 or 220, run the DVI (Dual Voltage Input...that's what I've got) Both units will weld 22g to 3/8 in a single pass. And definately run gas with solid cor if you can...flux core is fine, but it's just a mess to clean up, and it also burns hotter than solid wire, so it's a bit of a pain on thinner sheet metal..

Good to know, thanks. I was looking at a 180 amp 220 volt but did not know if I could get away with less. So a 220 volt, gas, 180 amp would be a minimum starting point you think, without going overboard?

I think that's definately a good place to start. I've found that the worst thing you can do when buying a welder is going for the smallest unit you think you'll need. You will inevitably out grow it...the need for a higher duty cycle and heavier material capaicity always rears it's ugly head..lol. Buy the biggest welder you can the first time, and you'll probably never need to buy another one..

DONT BUY MILLERS ALUMINUM SPOOL GUN!!!! It sucks very bad and is super finicky. I also cant stand mig welding aluminum even with the better spool gun we bought. Its way too bright and it makes a ton more noise than anything I have ever welded. Like everyone else here has said though the miller matic 210 or 250 are the way to go and gas ONLY fluxcore will only frustrate you with how hideous it looks. peace.

Again, thanks for anticipating my next question. Is there an exchange policy on the bottles? or is it $80 + $8 each time?

Most places in Washington you do an owner exchange setup. I run 80cu. ft bottles of Argon for the TIG unit and 75/25 for the MIG. It ran me 130 or so for the first bottle and initial fill, but now it's about 36 to swap out an empty for a full bottle....so not too bad

I finally got to the same place where I needed to have the ability to weld or I was just wasting my time. It took me the best part of a year to read library books about how to weld and many web searches to various kinds of sites with info and forums, etc. I looked on craigslist for ever for what I thought I wanted. Some good deals but not exactly what I was looking for.

I finally bit the bullit a month or so ago and bought a new machine from a welding supply place that was close and has everything. I have thousands of dollars worth of woodworking equipment in my shop, that is what I do. I never cheap out on tools because I just get frustrated. What low_blazer said is where I'm coming from too. I got the Millermatic DVI with a medium size bottle that will let me weld for about four hours.

I have done a lot of all kinds of soldering, some gas welding and a little bit of stick. I watched the video that came with the tool, read the user manual and was up and running in an hour. I didn't even practice. I just started to weld my stuff up. It became obvious really fast what direction to go to stay in the gas shield and how much heat a particular thickness of work will take befor it burns through. You start to get good when you have to fix your mistakes. The welds are hard as hell to grind, so the better your beads are the less work it is. I'm getting there. Most of it looks pretty good and this machine is a pleasure to work with.

All the stuff that I have read is now starting to make sense. It would have been great to have somebody show me this stuff, but that is how I learn, by doing. My neighbor at the shop, has a little harbor freight 110 unit that he uses all the time. The sheilded wire is so nasty that we won't let him stank the place up when we are around. This guy is crazy, that flux stuff is going to kill him. Oh well, he smokes cigarettes, so maybe he gets a good hit off it!

My whole set up with some wire, optional 220 plug configuration, gas bottle and a Miller standard black self darkening helmet was about $1600. I have built and fixed so many things I just going nuts. Why didn't get this all together about fifteen years ago? The Miller helmet was $280 and worth evey penny.

I'm generally not a tool junkie. If I ain't going to make money with it I don't buy it. But, sometimes you just have to spend some money on quality stuff so you don't end up chasin' your tail. I have lots of Harbor Frieght tools that do the job, but I bough them knowing that if it did the job and was wasted, it was worth it. It the tools live, then great. Lots of them are cheap but take a licking and keep on ticking. I didn't really feel like rollin' the dice with a welding set up.

I have been taking lots of pics of my progress on the 620. At some point I will edit them and figure out how to post them. I have to try not to get too carried away now that I can weld. Good luck!

In keeping with what Figbuck (nice user name :D) was saying. An auto-darkening helmet should be part of your welding system. I have one from harbor freight. It is night and day difference in the ability to make a quality weld over a regular helmet. Easily worth the extra expense (not that the harbor freight model was that spendy)

Picked up my welder last night. Spent my bonus on it, but at least I have something to show for it now. Lots of projects don't get started or even considered because of stick welding limitations. Tonight I'll have to watch the CD and unpack it.

Wow, I'll have to put it to work to justify the expense. (gulp)