Newbie with 78 510

Hey guys,

I put this thread in here just because I am sure the 510 guys would lambaste me for calling it a 510. I bought my first Datsun back around Christmas of 2008,and had it shipped to me in Massachusetts from Texas. It is a very solid 78 Datsun 510 2-door hatchback. It isn't perfect,but is very clean,and basically all original. I have not decided what route I want to take with the car,but I bought it because both of my other classic japanese vehicles don't allow me to take my two young kids with me during the warm weather months when I use the old cars.

I have not decided what direction I am going to take the car,but for now I need to replace the struts,and shocks,rebuild the carb,replace the tires,and replace the fluids. I have bough the strut inserts,and shocks,but have yet to replace them. I may buy new Rota RB rims,and some performance tires,but I may just get some stock looking tires for the stock rims. I also bought a setup of Datsun SU carbs,and an intake,but I will need to rebuild them,and modify the linkages to accept the cable throttle linkage instead of the stock PL510 linkage.

Any suggestions on a direction I should take,or help in understanding all things Datsun(I am a Mazda rotary guy) are much appreciated.

Here are pics of my car.

http://web.mac.com/cdirado/iWeb/Diradosite/78-Datsun-510.html

Chris

78 Datsun A10 chassis 510/Stanza

78 Mazda RX-7 GS

74 Mazda REPU

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, that 510 is nice lookin :D

even for a 78. My only 510 i have owned was a 81 510 wagon. I like the REPU pickup to, it run/drive? And do you have any pics you could throw on the Non Datsun section of the repu. I used to have a courier and a mazda pickup but those repu's were different a little bit

yea man nice ride you got there...i think you should keep it simple. im guessing everyone can agree sidedrafts are nice when money is at the ready. thats a good route. or go crazy and swap to rotary! although some purist wont agree, we would like it either way.

I hadn't even thought of a rotary swap. I bet I have all the stuff to do it as well. Lets see two,or three spare 12A motors,and probably just as many spare trannies. I can't imagine it is a tough swap. I plan on keeping the L20B in it however,as I think a car this original should stay that way.

That, sir, is a gorgeous vehicle! Kudos on wanting to keep the stock engine! I wouldn't do much to it maybe just lower her and some old school 13's or 14's! I see you're a fellow JNC supporter.. have you posted pix of your car there?

I don't think have posted pics of it,but Datsunfreak who sold it to me did I believe. He is the one who put the sticker on the car,but yes I am on JNC,and I just subscribed to the magazine as well.

I have been told the car is going to be featured in JNC soon.but I am not sure when.

Chris

you got a clean looking 510, it looks to have been taken good care of.

I wouldn't do anything to it except maybe put some differant wheels on it.

Does the AC still work in it ??

On your repu, is that a tool box on the passenger side of the box..

also would like to say welcome to Ratsun and thanks for putting up pics of your 510. luv it

you got a clean looking 510, it looks to have been taken good care of.

I wouldn't do anything to it except maybe put some differant wheels on it.

Does the AC still work in it ??

On your repu, is that a tool box on the passenger side of the box..

also would like to say welcome to Ratsun and thanks for putting up pics of your 510. luv it

I believe the Ac still works,but who knows it was 20 degrees when I got the car,and now it doesn't run with the carb in a bunch of pieces. The PO told me it did work,but I don't know for sure.

The small door you see on the passenger side of the REPU bed down low is the battery box.

Thanks for the compliments.

Chris

Guest jaimesix

That is a very cool Nissan/Datsun 510, aka Nissan Stanza in South America and Australia, as well as 160J in some other countries.

It was sold with L20B engines in South America at the start, later on getting the 24 valve engine. In the countries that called it a 160J ( Europe and Africa mainly ) it was sold with the L16 engine.

Yes, the japanese are known for selling a model car under different names and in different engine configurations.

It is a very cool car, and it was , together with the Datsun Violet ( IRS version Datsun 710 as known in US ) one of the 2 all time rallye winning cars Datsun/Nissan ever produced. (Violet and the Stanza ).

In Africa, Europe, Asia and South America these 2 vehicles swept the competition.

Yours is specially nice, not many hatchbacks survive today.

Nice ride!!!!!

Jaime.___________________________________________________-

Hey guys,

I put this thread in here just because I am sure the 510 guys would lambaste me for calling it a 510. I bought my first Datsun back around Christmas of 2008,and had it shipped to me in Massachusetts from Texas. It is a very solid 78 Datsun 510 2-door hatchback. It isn't perfect,but is very clean,and basically all original. I have not decided what route I want to take with the car,but I bought it because both of my other classic japanese vehicles don't allow me to take my two young kids with me during the warm weather months when I use the old cars.

I have not decided what direction I am going to take the car,but for now I need to replace the struts,and shocks,rebuild the carb,replace the tires,and replace the fluids. I have bough the strut inserts,and shocks,but have yet to replace them. I may buy new Rota RB rims,and some performance tires,but I may just get some stock looking tires for the stock rims. I also bought a setup of Datsun SU carbs,and an intake,but I will need to rebuild them,and modify the linkages to accept the cable throttle linkage instead of the stock PL510 linkage.

Any suggestions on a direction I should take,or help in understanding all things Datsun(I am a Mazda rotary guy) are much appreciated.

Here are pics of my car.

Chris

78 Datsun A10 chassis 510/Stanza

78 Mazda RX-7 GS

74 Mazda REPU

really my monitor must need some adjustment

still your paint is nice

normal_Picture_069%7E2.jpg

Datsun paint code 110 is: Persimmon Red

Persimmons range from orange to red like a tomato. But it does say RED so have to say .... it's red. Taupe is another color open to interpretation and ranges from pink (rose) to mauve (lavender), go figure. You say persimmon I say tomato.

Sorry, regardless of any argument or discussion on what color it is... it is a beautiful color.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 months later...

Little update on the car. I am just waiting on the radiator being repaired for some pin holes in the upper tank,new tires,and wheels,tuning the SU's,and making up some air filters. I just got it insured for the princely sum of $32 for the year through Hagerty classic car insurance.

I installed new strut inserts in the front,new shocks in the rear,new rubber brake hoses all around,installed a factory tach that works even,installed a new header,and full exhaust with stainless tip,new thermostat,new hoses,and many other things I am forgetting. New pics can be seen here on the bottom of the page:

Let me know what you think.

Chris

78 A10

78 RX-7 GS

74 REPU