"Wet" Strut pistons/inserts - anyone interested?

I pulled my 71 pl510 from a barn a few years ago - she sat there 16 years. The really great news is that she was completely stock - including the original factory "wet" strut pistons.

I put Tokico HP inserts on the car when I restored her.

I am wondering if anyone is interested in these? Are they just junk or are there some real purist out there who might be interested? If you are, they're free to you except for any shipping charges!:)

I can send you a pic if you want to see them

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those actually work quite well if you clean them out and re oil them with a heavier weight oil. For any springs under 125lbs I like the 20W and I currently run 30W on the wagon with 225lb springs. I would like to go to 40W on the wagon, but, they don't seem to make one that stout. Use the motorcycle fork oil if you're going to do it as it has anti foaming additives in it....

• 3 weeks later...
Those actually work quite well if you clean them out and re oil them with a heavier weight oil. For any springs under 125lbs I like the 20W and I currently run 30W on the wagon with 225lb springs. I would like to go to 40W on the wagon, but, they don't seem to make one that stout. Use the motorcycle fork oil if you're going to do it as it has anti foaming additives in it....

Jason, my '80 has these - how hard is it to drain and refill them?

They are called 'wet' because the strut tube is filled with oil. The strut 'is' the shock. The replacements are like drop-in shock absorbers (inserts). You are supposed to put a little of the oil back in when fitting the inserts. What a-Joe is offering is basically the shock valve bodies, as the oil can be purchased anywhere. When you fit inserts the valve bodies are (usually) discarded, but they were designed to be re-used.

Aside from racing, the originals work better than most aftermarkets. This past summer I bought genuine Nissan inserts, they are specially valved for the specific Datsun, not generic (like Monroe inserts) made for several cars that weigh more and have different spring rates. Tokico HP or Koni Adjustables (non-gas) are good but expensive.