Vtec 510

510Kid

I think I read something like that in Car and Driver, but I'm not sure.

Whatever 72240z, I'm not going to argue. I came here to gather info on Datsuns, not argue about little immature bitch things.

Was your posts not mine, and I didn't argue, just asked a question and quoted you......

The f20c has the highest (or did last I checked) hp to Liter ratio of any production car under like 100k or something like that.

In japan with higher comp it pumps out like 250hp. Out of a 2.0? That's flat out crazy.

Edited by 72240z
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does someone list camera gear in their signature space, electric scooter for vehicle and top secret for location in a datsun site? Then rag on other peoples shit. I think that's a better question.

Whatever 72240z, I'm not going to argue. I came here to gather information on Datsuns, not argue about little immature bitch things.

:lol::lol::lol: A location would be nice, even if it was just Ca.

this car represents all that is jdm bad-ass-ness. it's a puristist dream. if i had the money to do this swap in my bee i would have. if the car is here in cali, imagine, smog exempt, 9000 rpm redline, 240 horse, very light weight car, dam what's not to love?

Isnt the s2000 engine one of the best with respect to hp to displacement ratios? Thought i heard that somewhere.

I can see people using that engine because it is the highest horsepower non-turbo 4-cyl available for RWD. Probably even FWD.

Where else can you get 240 crank hp stock?

Plus its the new factor. Newer engines are cool to do swaps with :D

SR20DET is old skool :blink:

this car represents all that is jdm bad-ass-ness. it's a puristist dream. if i had the money to do this swap in my bee i would have. if the car is here in cali, imagine, smog exempt, 9000 rpm redline, 240 horse, very light weight car, dam what's not to love?

You forgot to mention the sound of VTEC when it engages. One of the best sounds in the world if you ask me.

I personally don't like vtec esp compared to some other variable set ups. For a econ car sure but for performance I think its close to pointless. The engine is starved most the time with a tiny cam profile and no lift then when you hit w/e rpm its set at it switches to the wild cam profile with high lift.

I personally, have no problem running a performance cam 24/7 lol. If ever one of my cars ran a vtec motor the very 1st thing I'd do is install vtec elimination cams. I'll take the rated hp and the crazy cool sound they make ALL the time thank you very much :-).

No doubt honda has done a great job though. Even as revy as they HAVE to be to make their power they are still reliable and last a long time. That's a hard thing to achieve stock.

Isnt the s2000 engine one of the best with respect to hp to displacement ratios? Thought i heard that somewhere.

I personally don't like vtec esp compared to some other variable set ups. For a econ car sure but for performance I think its close to pointless. The engine is starved most the time with a tiny cam profile and no lift then when you hit w/e rpm its set at it switches to the wild cam profile with high lift.

I personally, have no problem running a performance cam 24/7 lol. If ever one of my cars ran a vtec motor the very 1st thing I'd do is install vtec elimination cams. I'll take the rated hp and the crazy cool sound they make ALL the time thank you very much :-).

No doubt honda has done a great job though. Even as revy as they HAVE to be to make their power they are still reliable and last a long time. That's a hard thing to achieve stock.

What about the SR16VVT N1? It made like 205 hp, thats insane for a 1.6 liter as well. Guy made an adapter to run it in a RWD configuration too!!!

I also agree about the "V-tech" or "VVT" or what ever the hell you want to call it. IMO it's for pollution, get the car to pass smog then kick in the "big guns" I would rather just have a big ass cam all day too :D NA engine's do sound nice but turbo engines are funner IMO, they are like a 2 stroke bike, there is nothing better :D

What about the SR16VVT N1? It made like 205 hp, thats insane for a 1.6 liter as well. Guy made an adapter to run it in a RWD configuration too!!!

I also agree about the "V-tech" or "VVT" or what ever the hell you want to call it. IMO it's for pollution, get the car to pass smog then kick in the "big guns" I would rather just have a big ass cam all day too :D NA engine's do sound nice but turbo engines are funner IMO, they are like a 2 stroke bike, there is nothing better :D

I think the n1 isn't in the running because such a limited number produced. Wiki says 200 produced and 200hp. I know for production rally and some other classes its 1000 to be "production". Never the less the motor is impressive as hell too. 200n/a hp out of a 1.6 lol ridiculous. I saw the adapter for rwd but it's so much work since the dizzy would be in the back and what not.

Don't get me wrong vvt and lift control is cool, it allows the ecu to keep the engine running optimally in many different conditions and loads. Sometimes less lift is better, like really low in the rpm for tq. I just don't like how vtec is an on/off situation. It just trades one power range cam for another while both have a natural optimum and drop off points. I believe the vtec i is true variable now. Like the neo an actuator driven by oil pressure lifts and lowers the entire cam to change lift coupled along with a standard timing control. All be it complex it really optimizes engine performance through out the rpm range.

I wish they would couple it with variable length intake runners and maybe direct injection. Then I bet we would be seeing some crazy shit like 300hp 2.2L's. That still prob get great mpg depending on the final ratio/driver and pass new stricter emissions.

I wish they would couple it with variable length intake runners and maybe direct injection. Then I bet we would be seeing some crazy shit like 300hp 2.2L's. That still prob get great mpg depending on the final ratio/driver and pass new stricter emissions.

Just give it a couple years. DI is the new hot ticket so I'm sure we'll be seeing it almost every soon enough.

That was my point in an earlier post but check this out....

A September 25, 2006 press release announced the launch of the Advanced VTEC engine by Honda. The new engine combines continuously variable valve lift and timing control with the continuously variable phase control of VTC (Variable Timing Control). This new system permits optimum control over intake valve lift and phase in response to driving conditions, achieving improved charging efficiency for a significant increase in torque at all engine speeds. Under low to medium load levels, the valves are set for low lift and early closure to reduce pumping losses and improve fuel economy. In comparison to the 2.4L i-VTEC these advancements claim to increase fuel efficiency by 13%. Honda also claims that new engine also meets exhaust emission standards compliant with U.S. EPA - LEV2-ULEV regulations and Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport requirements for Low-Emission Vehicles, with emission levels 75% lower than those required by the 2005 standards. Advanced VTEC engines should go into production for 2009 models.

Thats sexy

Doesn't Nissan offer something similar to that on the G37 or 370Z?

I thought I read about a camless valvetrain where all the valves were controlled by computer controled hydralic lifters. Valve lift and timing was variable throughout the entire powerband.

Ya similar, but I think nissan uses something for the exhaust side too.

I posted on hbz about csve engines like a year ago, was a decent thread. The prob is you need a 24volt system. I hear bmw, mercedes and fiat are just about ready.

Pretty sure a gm diesel maybe duritec? Has actually been using camless on the exhaust side only for years now.

It is sexy too and I believe the next logical step. I was thinking a person if inclined could do it themselves without even using a computer. You could use an extension off the dizy system or edis or w/e to open the valves just like firing the plugs.

Edited by 72240z

Instead of all that I'm just going to turn up the boost :D haha It is cool how they can do all that I just wonder what happens when it fails? I guess all we can do is wait until it comes out, then wait a couple more years, then get it at the wrecking yard, then try it.... Feeewwww It's going to be a while :D