How do you support your 510?

zerow

I am planning to do a full rear suspension rebuild with new bushings, etc. as well as do the rear disc brake conversion. Time is my enemy, as I have only one day off to tackle projects like this.

My question: How do you support the back of the car when you drop the entire rear cross member? Don't tell me that you use the jacking points because I would say that would be rocker panel assisted suicide. I want to know that if I have to leave it until the following weekend that I won't have the fear of the car falling off. :confused:

Any suggestions will be welcomed, and pics of the points where you have the jackstands or whatever bear on would be great, too!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, use the pinch welds on the rocker panels just before the rear wheels. If your rockers are severely corroded, put a long piece of 1x1 board lengthwise on it to insulate it from the jackstand and spread out the force.

If your rockers are REALLY REALLY corroded, tip the car on it's side, but take off the rear down side wheel first. :D

Here's a picture of how on the background of this page:

http://www.mattalbertson.net/datsuntech.htm

I just put a small junk of 2x4 across the floor right where it goes up to the seat ledge, you know the seam I'm talking about...

P1010031.JPG

This shot kinda shows where I put them... It's the best one I could find...

I just put a small junk of 2x4 across the floor right where it goes up to the seat ledge, you know the seam I'm talking about...

P1010031.JPG

This shot kinda shows where I put them... It's the best one I could find...

Thanks Icehouse. I was thinking 4x4, just to make sure the car was well supported. The pinchwelds are fine, just want to keep them that way after this bodywork was done. I have plenty enough problem with how low she is, going to remedy that soon...

Thanks for the replies!!!