has anyone cut out their wheel wells yet?

Llittle_Llama

I got them all cut out tonight except for the part where they attach to the sides of the bed. I needed another disc for my angle grinder to finish up cutting through the supports on the bottom also so I didn't have a way to get any leverage on them and it was getting dark, so I quit for the night. Are there spot welds I need to drill out, or is there a better way to get them off smoothly. Thanks in advance guys!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes dwn, there are 6 or so spot welds on the top arch of the fender well.

awesome, I assume there on the bottom of the bed....ish, right? I was thinking I could cut them out and leave a few inches and then drill out the welds to release the last little bit? How do you do yours?

You really couldn't figure out how to cut the wheel wells out? It is dumb questions like this that earned you your reputation.

well I could, but last time I tried to "roll" my fenders, I did it wrong, easier to ask and know than not and never learn. The only thing between intelligence and stupidity is the ability to learn. If you don't want to help or even read the question (I already got the hard part done, I obviously know how to do some of it) your post would have been moot. And last of all, I was not born when this truck was first manufactured, I was DEFINITELY not old enough to work in the factory, so how would I know how Japanese men thousands of miles away put my truck together? Either tear it up and learn or ask, seems the smart person would ask ;)

This maybe seems obvious, you do have a lot of posts...but I've found the information here http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm#wd to be REALLY helpful. I looked the 620 pdf manuals over and did not see any really good diagrams showing the weld points on the bed, but I agree that this post probably should have been in your build thread.

I've been on other boards and mis-spoke, or double posted and got flamed pretty good. I think a lot of the 'ball busting' comes from the perception that you're not doing your homework before posting. Unfortunately, my experience has been that overposting simply diminishes the amount of responses you'll receive. Sort of a 'crying wolf' thing. If it's consistent then you start getting flamed and build a 'reputation'.

I'm new here, and it does seem like you've put some thought into the bag project. From what little I've seen, it looks like you've got a decent 'plan' laid out and you've purchased some quality components. Add me to the list of waiting to see it come together.

I probably sound like your dad or something, sorry 'bout that. You seem like an alright guy to me, maybe a little 'trigger happy' on the keyboard though. :)

The only thing between intelligence and stupidity is the ability to learn.

No, the only difference between intelligence and stupidity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different outcomes (however, this does not apply to computers)...ie, creating multiple threads that ask the same question and expecting different outcomes.

I guess I am just the kind of person who prefers to figure out things on my own. Yeah, I may f$@k it up once or twice, but in the end I have learned from it. Plus, doing things the right way the first time is no fun.

and to all that say to put this in my build thread? I would but all you jackasses want to do the same thing you bitch at me for in it and pollute it and I was afraid my question would be lost among all your idle banter. Whats worse, some jackass that post every little question trying to get answers instead of trying on his own, or 10 jackasses that sit around not trying to help and posting just as much EACH complaining about it. Maybe if you guys would help every now and again I would post a little less ;)

Whats worse, some jackass that post every little question trying to get answers instead of trying on his own, or 10 jackasses that sit around not trying to help and posting just as much EACH complaining about it.

The one jackass...

Insanity, stupidity...I'm an example of both so I guess it doesn't matter to me.