Radiator question for KA-DE into 510

Creepy Cruiser

Im in the middle of a ka swap into a 510 and I've been looking at rads. I see most people just run oem VW style ones and they must cool just fine since just about evrybody runs them.

My question is, can any of you guys direct me to something a little nicer looking. I'm looking for an all aluminum one I can polish and I've been looking for weeks and have turned up nothing. That's not totally true, the guy in the Australia does make them for like $500 + shipping, lol. I'm looking for something in the $250 ish range. I can mod it if I have too, and tig up new mounts if needed, but I haven't been able to locate anything close to start with.

Here are a couple examples:

I assume both of these are from Mario at TSR, (but we all know how hard he is to get a hold of, lol) Anyone know what he starts with? **This is the seup I'm looking for, fans and all.**

IMG_5001.jpg

And I'm sure anyone who has ever done a KA swap knows of Project KA. On there he mentions VR6, but I haven't been able to find one for that either.

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

Now it doesn't have to be that exact one just something close. I've found so much great info on here (Thanks btw!), I figured if anyone would know you guys would, lol.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see now, so he's just using the core and making the tanks from scratch, that makes sense why I couldn't find it anywhere, lol.

Is there anything else out there that's all aluminum that's even close?

I suppose I could just tig up an aluminum cover that slides over the oem VR6 rad to make to look cooler.

Do you know what year VR6 rad fits the best?

PM ray, I forget his sig but he's one of the dudes in the "look what I welded" thread. He is the dude that builds the bad ass exhaust, I know he has used some sweet rads but can't remember the brand.

Here is a VW style one that Griffin makes.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRI-2-28185-X&N=700+4294924500+4294839040+400030+4294810996+4294867690+115&autoview=sku

Also, this is the one that I used for my KA swap. The inlet is on the wrong side so you have to cross over the front of the engine but its a very nice radiator for a good price.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HRE-342AA&N=700+4294924500+4294839040+400309+115&autoview=sku

Thanks for the info.

I actually ordered the little Scirocco one, but it looked to small in there and the inlet and outlet ran into the intake and alt, lol.

I looked through your build tread before and that one does look real nice in there. At 16.5" tall, do you have it sitting on a lower rubber mount or anything?

I wounder if I could cut the right side tank in the middle and turn it in to a double pass style and move the upper to the pass side, hmmmm.

I had another quicky queston for you. I did the single cam KA thermostat housing and the 720 lower mount for the alt, but my hose will now run right into the plugs for the TPS, did you run a little spacer on the housing to get yours to clear?

Nevermind, I forgot your not running the stock intake, lol. Do you know anybody else that has done it that I can ask?

Edited by Creepy Cruiser

Mario doesn't purchase VR6 cores and build the tanks. He designed the radiator off of a Ron Davis dual aluminum core and now Ron builds them to Mario's specs, and will in fact refer you to Mario if you request a "510" radiator. The radiator pictured for "Project KA" from the Dime Quarterly is also one of Mario's.

At $800 for Mario's (with fans, I think?) though, either radiator that Duke suggested will be easier on the wallet. As far as function, probably not $500 in difference there either. The one that Duke used would probably be great upgrade for stock with an L or on an SR swap.

I'm just going to be running a mild KA twin cam (no boost) so I'm guessing just about anything will work, lol. I was more going for a killer look, but it's not worth that much money to me.

So is there any drawbacks to running a rabbit style one, other then looks?

BTW, Datson510, your engine bay is killer.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Good to know.

I was actually looking at one of the larger ones without the cap. (think it was like 26" wide instead of 21" and it was taller). Maybe for a newer beetle I think. I'll keep looking. I'm just trying to find something in my budget of $100-$250 and still thin enough to still fit the fans on the engine side.

Thanks for your input.

Here is a picture of mine.I bought it like 5yrs ago from VW.I think it was like a 2002 VR6. It cost me like $150.00 and I had some one do all the aluminium work.Have never had any heating problems. :D

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/72nismo/IMG_0979-1.jpg

Do you have a buildup thread on your car? What kind of HP are you getting out of that KA-T?