Mikuni Carburetors

I am wondering if someone out there can help with my dilemma. I road race a '69 510 that has dual Mikuni carburetors. I have had nothing but problems trying to dial these two carbs in. Does anyone know of a company or person that works on Mikuni carbs in the greater Seattle/Everett area? Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo at mikuni carbs lol. I would stay away from troy ermish. He "tuned" my mikunis with the previous owner and screwed all sorts of stuff up

norcal dime,

Key words are; "previous owner". If I remeber right he also told you to come on down and he would fix it FREE if it was his fault... No offense, but unless you delt with him directly you shouldn't say anything. Besides being a great friend of mine he has also built all my engines and tuned the carbs by ear for the base tune until I can get them on the dyno and never had any issues. With that said, I am not trying to start a pissing match but there are far to many people that think they know how to tune Mikuni or weber carbs and do more harm than good. Double checking things time to time goes along way too. I had my intake vibrate loose a little causing a vaccum leak, or the emulsion tubes also tend to vibrate loose causing the car to run like ass.

He never told me to come down and he would look at it for free.

And the emulsion tubes were unable to screw into the jet block becuse the blocks are totally stripped. So i dont know if that was from troy or the PO... but i cleaned up the threads and got it to screw in and the car ran worse, making me think that it was tuned with them sitting on top of the blocks

Ive had a few people PM me before when i was asking about were to get work done and his name came up and i was told to stay clear of him, so obviously something must be up.

But he could be a good guy and im just getting the wrong info, from a few different people.

So forget what i said Original poster

Edited by NorCalDime

Like I said, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I was at Troys shop and could have sworn he was talking to you by the way that the car was described. And whom ever he was talking to weather it was you or the previous owner he told them he would take care of it, if it was his fault. You might want to try calling him, he makes good on his word.

- Clayton

I personally like to learn or know what my car is doing. I would try to learn about the carbs and tune on your own. I invested in some tools and learned a lot and am still learning. Rebello built my motor and set up the carbs but he was nice to show me things to look for. ever since I have been learning a lot. I guess try to find out the specs of the carbs as to size and venturis and what jets you have currently and then go from there. you should know where your timing is and condition of plugs and engine and ignition set up. you have to isolate issues and establish a base point and then go from there. I am not a road racer but I am sure you are getting a lot of vibration so check the jets to see if they are loose as I have run into that and also I am wondering would hard turns make the carbs starve when turning left?

as for Troy Ermish. each individual would have to meet him and make their own judgement. I personally have not had a good experience with him.

Good luck

I have had a car with dual Mikunis(Toyota 2T-G) and a 76 BMW 2002 with dual Webers. They arent that hard to work on or tune. I always tuned by ear and by driving the car until it ran the best. I even rebuilt the Mikunis on the Toyota. Get a manual if you can find one and read up on them then try messing with them.

Mikunis are by far the favorite carbs for Datsuns in Japan even now. Almost every modded Datsun engine has them, rarely do I see webers in the magazines or web sites. And of course these were the carbs sold by Datsun Competition back in the day.

For the most part they are tuned just like a weber -- itt takes time and patience (even if you have a dyno or wideband sensor).

Of course, 30 year old Mikunis may be worn out. Same with any brand of carburetor.