WANTED: Block + Head

As far as cams, go with Isky hands down.

X2

:D I am going to assemble it myself and I have a friend here in town with a machine shop who just builds hot rods all day :) so I was going to have him to my machine work.

and who would have known I found this forum by accident :)

there are no 'accidents' ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing i like about ratsun is i get answers to all my questions with no flack, its a great community with various different ways about doing things, i mean theres people here running all sorts of turbo setups/na setups an some of us just have stockers that we try to just keep on the road.

i showed my girlfriend your intro thread, She is very impressed! makes her wanna get her own little project.. which i think is awesome cause she likes drivin cars but has never been into workin on them, when i did my tranny swap on my truck the only help i got was her lightin a cig for me an handin it to me under the truck lol!! im sure many guys here feel the same way, to see a youthful girl with such a nice car and knowlege of it is great, kinda gives me hope my daughter will be into cars like i am, hell she's already playin with hotwheels! lol

so anyways i think you will find any help you need here.

the thing i like about ratsun is i get answers to all my questions with no flack, its a great community with various different ways about doing things, i mean theres people here running all sorts of turbo setups/na setups an some of us just have stockers that we try to just keep on the road.

i showed my girlfriend your intro thread, She is very impressed! makes her wanna get her own little project.. which i think is awesome cause she likes drivin cars but has never been into workin on them, when i did my tranny swap on my truck the only help i got was her lightin a cig for me an handin it to me under the truck lol!! im sure many guys here feel the same way, to see a youthful girl with such a nice car and knowlege of it is great, kinda gives me hope my daughter will be into cars like i am, hell she's already playin with hotwheels! lol

X10 man :fu:

im sure many guys here feel the same way, to see a youthful girl with such a nice car and knowlege of it is great, kinda gives me hope my daughter will be into cars like i am, hell she's already playin with hotwheels! lol

Same here, my daughter is going to be 2 here soon and she loves hot wheels. Always saying, "Daddy, Daddy, vroom vroom." Then my son is 6 and he always wants to ride in the Z that hasn't been on the road for almost 2 years now.

All the Z answers and questions will definitely be found easily here or mostly on HybridZ, no offense to ratsun of course, but always good to have multiple sources to check and verify :thumbsup:

yea, i kinda figured she'd be there already tho, its kinda hard to navigate that forum lol.

to bad bout that pinks episode tho :(

you think so? I find it really easy, but then again I live on that forum and do a lot of things for them.

that Pinks episode was a bummer, but then again those guys represented HBZ kinda poorly with how they built that car. It was pretty half assed and it was a bunch of hoopla with some young kids building that Z, it was no way affiliated with any HBZ mods/admin. they were banned forever shortly after that was whole incident for foul play on the forum and trying to run a scam selling parts off that car in a rigged raffle. Good thing the admin was tracking their every move though and busted them.

Plus the race was against a car we weren't supposed to race, that was a full raced out el camino, we were supposed to run something more street oriented v8 car but it crashed the day before the race in a practice run.

Hmm I'll keep that in mind :) Ugh I'm so stuck on what to do though.

Can anyone tell me why exactly 8.1 is the ideal ratio for a turbo? I know its probably simple and I've never gotten stuck on understanding something about cars, I dont know what it is with turbos, but they are like witchcraft to me lol, why exactly is a lower compression better for a turbo set up.

You can push so much more through the motor which a high compression/longer strokes/higher flowing head. I got into a debate with my auto teacher last night (seems to know alot about new cars, but old cars just real basic stuff) and he like couldnt explain it, he said that it would just take more enforcement from the rest of the motor and a higher octane gas, which Yeah i understand it would be harder on the motor, but when people talk about a turbo setup, they arent asking any other details about the motor as far as beefyness goes, its just ideal to have 8:1 cr.

This is probably a stupid question, I'm a hands on and visual learner but I've found if I ask a question over and over, eventually someone explains it in my language. Or if anyone wants to draw a little diagram on a sticky and mail it to me :lol:.

Hmm I'll keep that in mind :) Ugh I'm so stuck on what to do though. Can anyone tell me why exactly 8.1 is the ideal ratio for a turbo? I know its probably simple and I've never gotten stuck on understanding something about cars, I dont know what it is with turbos, but they are like witchcraft to me lol, why exactly is a lower compression better for a turbo set up. You can push so much more through the motor which a high compression/longer strokes/higher flowing head. I got into a debate with my auto teacher last night (seems to know alot about new cars, but old cars just real basic stuff) and he like couldnt explain it, he said that it would just take more enforcement from the rest of the motor and a higher octane gas, which Yeah i understand it would be harder on the motor, but when people talk about a turbo setup, they arent asking any other details about the motor as far as beefyness goes, its just ideal to have 8:1 cr. This is probably a stupid question, I'm a hands on and visual learner but I've found if I ask a question over and over, eventually someone explains it in my language. Or if anyone wants to draw a little diagram on a sticky and mail it to me :lol:.

I am going for N/A myself, as overall simplicity is greater(once the carbs are set up) compared to a computerized F/I system. Nothing beats the look of a set of sidedraft triples anyways. Plus, I firmly believe in the KISS principal. Keep It Simple, Stupid! I like the idea of, if my car isn't running, does it have spark and fuel? Easy to diagnose and fix(with a screwdriver 90% of the time) versus, is this module working(One of 5), or this sensor(One of 20), or a bad ground(one of 20), Wiring good(out of a few miles worth), do I have a laptop, or a way to read codes(which could be one of ten things wrong).

Turbos, Nitrous, and Superchargers all do the same thing. Make an engine behave like a much larger engine that what it really is. N/A engines rely on the weight of several miles thickness of air atmospheric pressure to fill the cylinders, @ 14 psi at sea level. An engine can only draw so much air into the cylinders, esp. at high RPM's. Forced induction shoves more air into the cylinders. Using 8-1 C/R reduces the possibility of Detonation, as compressed air is hot. Hot air can cause the fuel to explode before TDC/actual ignition events.

These L6 Z engines are uber tough. Factory forged crank, con rods, high nickle block, like most nissan motors. Built correctly, they can be made to withstand 400 HP reliably, but I have heard over and over that in the 240Z chassis, anything more than 350HP is very hard to control.

Edited by agentalpha
why exactly is a lower compression better for a turbo set up.

When I asked that question on Hybridz. org I got this answer

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233336371&sr=8-1

I have not read the book but it just seems that you can only compress air so much. You can fit 20psi in that cylinder but every little bit you try to compress it more, raises the temp up to a point closer to spontainious combustion... or something like that.

Like the Z31. 7.8:1 compression and 6.7psi = 200hp up though 1987

then 8.3:1 compression and 4.3 psi(?) = 205hp 88-89. You get more power for your boost pressure but you just have to be more accurate on your head design, ignition timing, and fuel ratios at that point.

Read the book or just don't worry about getting an exact answer.

18psi and low compression (lag) or 10psi and high compression. No lag but a little less power. :)

Turbos, Nitrous, and Superchargers all do the same thing. Make an engine behave like a much larger engine that what it really is. N/A engines rely on the weight of several miles thickness of air atmospheric pressure to fill the cylinders, @ 14 psi at sea level. An engine can only draw so much air into the cylinders, esp. at high RPM's. Forced induction shoves more air into the cylinders. Using 8-1 C/R reduces the possibility of Detonation, as compressed air is hot. Hot air can cause the fuel to explode before TDC/actual ignition events.

let me translate :D your compression ratio being higher or lower changes the volume of air in the cylinder at the end of the stroke... for instance hen your piston is at the bottom of the stroke there is 1000cc of air in the cylinder, or almost 33 ounces ( 2 3/4 corona beers :D) as the piston comes into the up stroke it compresses the air/corona until it reaches the full length of the stroke, lets say that it compresses it to 100cc. So your motor is mechanically squeezing 2 3/4 coronas into the space of 1/4 corona (3 ounces). that gives you a compression ratio of 10:1.

Now it gets complicated :D

Chemistry: you have fuel and air in your cylinders that is being compressed 100 times its original volume (putting 33oz of liquid into a 3 ounce container) When the fuel and air are in the cylinder being compressed the molecules are also being compressed closer and closer together causing your fuel to mix more and more, which is good because it makes your fuel more efficient which means more power!!!. BUT it is also "bad" because it can prematurely detonate before the piston has reached its full up stroke causing mechanical damage.

Okay okay now to the turbo thing, lets take the same scenario of 10:1 compression, We can agree that it takes more fuel to have more power so that is what you are doing when you up the compression you are getting more fuel squeezed into the same space as before so you in turn get more power once you reach a certain point you are just running your car to rich and its not doing anything more for you thats where forced induction (turbo or supercharger comes into it.

The turbo or supercharger forces more air into the cylinder to lean out the fuel. So if you are running super rich because of a high compression it means that you dont have enough air. The reason that turbos will detonate a high compression engine is because of what i said earlier about the fuel detonating prior to the piston reaching the top of its stroke. If you added the right ammount of air (maybe 2 or 3 PSI of boost) to the high compression motor yes it would create lots of power and then shortly there after it would more than likely detonate because of premature detonation.

So insted of running 2 or 3 psi at 10:1 compression and risking detonation reduce then compression to 8:1 and run 12- 13 psi, you are getting roughly the same air/fuel mixture so creating the same HP as the other motor, but you can now feel safer because the air fuel mix has the right size chamber (cylinder) to mix in.....

How was that for crayon on table?

These L6 Z engines are uber tough. Factory forged crank, con rods, high nickle block, like most nissan motors. Built correctly, they can be made to withstand 400 HP reliably, but I have heard over and over that in the 240Z chassis, anything more than 350HP is very hard to control.

John K is at 454 and TimZ(?) is at 600.

L's are tanks hands down, build em right and they can take a beating to no end

EDIT: footage i shot of john at woodburn drag strip last year

John K is at 454 and TimZ(?) is at 600.

L's are tanks hands down, build em right and they can take a beating to no end

EDIT: footage i shot of john at woodburn drag strip last year

But how many miles are on those motors? And are they streetable?

More power can be squeezed out of any motor, but as I'm sure you know, longevity and streetability trade off for that extra power past a certain point.

And sorry if I didn't explain in terms that were easy to understand. I did rather skim over some possible elaborations. I was assuming(BAD agent!) you understood a few basic principals of how a 4 cycle internal combustion engine motor works...Here's a Harley Davidson 2 cyl.:

2CMotor2DRunning2D650K2D360w-1.gif

Here's how a turbo works:

turbo-plumbing.gif

To confuse you, here's a nice gif of a Wankel Rotary(MAzda RX-7, RX-3) doing it's thing:

rotaryani.gif

Hope the responses clarified things for you.

Edited by agentalpha

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.