WANTED: Block + Head

Hey guys, so for the last 2 years I've had my car, I've been trying to decide whether to Vintage race it with VARA or build a mean stroker. Originally I wanted to stroke it, then I discovered VARA and they said I could run with them, just in a modified class. I don't think the car will be living up to its full potential doing milder mods to stay vintage legal so now comes the fun part... building my new motor.

I'm looking for an f54 block and N42 head. Something local (in Cali, north or south) for the block and the head, doesn't matter as long as you are willing to ship it.

I'd like to turbo it also, however I'd want the P90a head for that... and dished pistons, and I'm not sure which turbo set up I would use. However since it is a 280 and I still have to smog... I think hearing the turbo would be an attention grabber for the po po. The car is already pretty loud, and catches a lot of eyes.

Let me know if you have motor you're looking to get rid of, as long as the block is solid, I'll take it. If you have any suggestions with the turbo, or head choice, I'd appreciate it also! :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got a spare f54 block, it's stripped bare, and the main caps too. So it's ready for machine work or the caliber of a build you might want to do.

I'm in Corona, so not too far. Would be cheaper to pick it up rather than ship this, these blocks are heavy.

$25 and get this thing outta my garage hehe.

**EDIT** you can have it for free, just come pick it up.

Edited by 280zForce

Yeah, why the P90a? The hydraulic lifters are virtually impossible to get nowadays, and if you do find them they're generally super spendy. Hell some people even debate the f54 block being "the best", and sware by the n42.

I may have an N42 head, but I'll have to check.

Thanks for all the responses guys. 280zForce you have a PM :D

For the head choice, I'm used to working with hydrolic lifters, and I thought the P90a flowed a little better then the P90. I woke up 10 minutes ago so I'm probably mixed up, but yeah. You do have a point that the lifters would be hard to find.

For now I'm going to use the N42 head and try to keep the motor NA. When I get bored with the HP (because you all know we do) I could throw a turbo on it.

This car is meant to be a track car, and I really didn't think I would be registering it again this year. My plans were to have it registered as an off road vehicle, and strict track car by now. Until then I'll try to keep in NA seeing how its still supposed to be smoged.

most of the time the hydraulic lifters are scrapped and replaced with solid lifters, the flow should be the same since there really the same head just different lifters (to my knowledge some early P90As, altho marked with the A, came with solid lifters to)

Braap, HughDogZ, and 280Zforce could probably add some good info to that as well

Iv got a bare E88 laying around here to

Edited by Skib

and the N42/F54 differnace is the F54 has siamesed cylinder walls, makes em tough but hurts coolant flow (hugh has a nice fix for that on his head, check out his build page) on the 6 and 5 cyl. the N42 is a suitable block for a turbo as long as you have the dished pistons ect. for lower compression and avoiding detonation.

I meant the N42 head. Am I mixing something up?

no, not at all... there's a n42 block as well. that's what he's referring too.

but definitely stay away from the hydraulic lifters, hard to find, more expensive, plus their noisy. idk about you but I'd rather here other types of engine noise rather than lifters.

Yeah I thought there was both, lol just wanted to make sure. But yeah I'll for sure stay away from the lifters, thanks for pointing that out to me :D

I researched this more about a year ago when I decided on the stroker, but which is the best flowing head for an NA motor. I thought I narrowed it down to the N42, but now cant really remember why. I think on my Z right now I've got an E88 (too lazy to go look because I'm at work) and its got those silly little cones in the exhaust ports for smog. I think they are round ports also. Does anyone know what the closest head to mine is? I think I'm talking about the one that came on 75-76 280z's without the exhaust cone things, and its square port. I heard that one was good as well.

A chart of early Z heads and flow rates would be so useful, but I can't seem to find one. :blink:

Yeah I thought there was both, lol just wanted to make sure. But yeah I'll for sure stay away from the lifters, thanks for pointing that out to me :D

I researched this more about a year ago when I decided on the stroker, but which is the best flowing head for an NA motor. I thought I narrowed it down to the N42, but now cant really remember why. I think on my Z right now I've got an E88 (too lazy to go look because I'm at work) and its got those silly little cones in the exhaust ports for smog. I think they are round ports also. Does anyone know what the closest head to mine is? I think I'm talking about the one that came on 75-76 280z's without the exhaust cone things, and its square port. I heard that one was good as well.

A chart of early Z heads and flow rates would be so useful, but I can't seem to find one. :blink:

well for block you can use either n42 or f54, both work nicely for the stroker.

and as far as your stroker plans... it all depends on what you plan, efi? triple webers? dual su? 4 barrel? ITBs? There's tons of options.

If you've got an e88 head, you're most likely running a p30 block, but who knows if a PO switched something around.

as far as your head choice for an efi setup go with the p90 or n42, either way carb'd or efi the key to unlocking hp outta the Z is head work and selecting the right cam. So be prepared to do that.

now if you're doing a carb stroker, then consider the e31 head (but might be hard to find), otherwise stick with a p90 or n42 head.

I'm running a fully built stroker engine... but it's turbo hehe. 3.0L efi ITBs stroker turbo, should be fun, aiming for around 600 whp. Engine is already built, waiting for my ITBs to come back from ceramic coating, I've also got a 7 quart Nissan Comp racing oil pan on it (trap doors and crank scraper). I really need to start a build thread some day.

Edited by 280zForce

Did you buy a kit for your motor and assemble it yourself? or just collected all the parts and then went at it, bought it a stroker and modded it from there?

I was looking at cams a while back and Schneider looked to be the best ones. I think Isky makes them also. What cam did you go with?

3.0L efi ITBs stroker turbo, should be fun, aiming for around 600 whp. Engine is already built, waiting for my ITBs to come back from ceramic coating, I've also got a 7 quart Nissan Comp racing oil pan on it (trap doors and crank scraper).

sooo ... whats your adress and what time do you go to work ;)

well for block you can use either n42 or f54, both work nicely for the stroker.

and as far as your stroker plans... it all depends on what you plan, efi? triple webers? dual su? 4 barrel? ITBs? There's tons of options.

If you've got an e88 head, you're most likely running a p30 block, but who knows if a PO switched something around.

as far as your head choice for an efi setup go with the p90 or n42, either way carb'd or efi the key to unlocking hp outta the Z is head work and selecting the right cam. So be prepared to do that.

now if you're doing a carb stroker, then consider the e31 head (but might be hard to find), otherwise stick with a p90 or n42 head.

I'm running a fully built stroker engine... but it's turbo hehe. 3.0L efi ITBs stroker turbo, should be fun, aiming for around 600 whp. Engine is already built, waiting for my ITBs to come back from ceramic coating, I've also got a 7 quart Nissan Comp racing oil pan on it (trap doors and crank scraper). I really need to start a build thread some day.

i think this guy needs a freakin build thread..

Did you buy a kit for your motor and assemble it yourself? or just collected all the parts and then went at it, bought it a stroker and modded it from there?

I was looking at cams a while back and Schneider looked to be the best ones. I think Isky makes them also. What cam did you go with?

I had bought parts on the side at 1st, then when I was ready for a build I had a shop, which I highly recommend in Azusa, Ca (called JMS Racing) bore my block, do my head work, and assemble and balance the engine. I could've built it myself, but with my hp goals I wanted to make sure it was built professionally and with a warranty in case something goes wrong with the engine.

Then the manifolds and all I looked around for and put things together. As far as cams, go with Isky hands down. I got a custom grind from them.

sooo ... whats your adress and what time do you go to work ;)

I work from home and good luck tryin to get that Z outta here, it's a stripped down shell right now while I work on it :lol:

:D I am going to assemble it myself and I have a friend here in town with a machine shop who just builds hot rods all day :) so I was going to have him to my machine work. Thanks for the referance though!

I'm so excited, I've wanted to start this motor since last year before I got in an accident with the Z :( now that I'm finally getting a block its starting to feel real, and who would have known I found this forum by accident :)

I'll put together a build thread after I have more... built :lol:

Well to be perfectly honest with all of you, I have taught myself everything i know on cars, picked up things here and there, but there isnt like... one person teaching me or classes or anything. I have not worked with turbos or superchargers. In theory I know how they work, but I am completely clueless when it comes to whats actually going to work, or how to build a turbo setup. So maybe this is where I'll learn :)

I know how to build an NA motor just how I want it, I dont know why but yeah... turbos are like a different language for the time being. I know the head I use really depends on if I want to keep it NA, which to be honest, I dont. Just scared of trying to tackle a turbo setup on my first built engine, leaving there more room for error on my part.

If you can educate me on turbos, and put up with whatever stupid questions I think up, then yeah I would love to have it turboed.

on a turbo, lower compression (like the stock engine has) and higher boost is possible. 250-350whp

higher compression gives you far less turbo lag and a lot more power per PSI. Because the fuel system (even Z31 ecu) and head design are older you run into detonation earlier in the boost range. I'm tentatively planning to run a non turbo block in my car, stock T3 turbo and no more than 12 psi on premium fuel. 1988 300ZX turbo ECU.

It should be torquey and have great response for my usual street driving. But for the most part, 12 psi is about the limit. I would have to drop my compression to go further.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.