Removing Interior Door Panel HELP

Thanks to Tom, I got the window crank and the glass for my drivers door.

Just in time for the "cold wave" here in Los Angeles. Its only 50 degrees and Im dying with the noisy rattling window that keeps falling down inside the door!

Anyways, my body shop that always lets me use their tools is too busy right now to let me hang out and work on my door.

I went out and tried to estimate the difficulty of me doing this myself and it became too overwhelming so i went back inside. I noticed the entire interior door is one huge piece. SIGH.

anybody done this before?

is this too much for me? on a scale of retardation i am a solid 6 out of 10.

if youve got suggestions, let me know! thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First you remove the door and window handles. There's a special tool that supposedly makes removing the retaining ring easy (this one's from Summit):

wmr-w80646_w.jpg

I picked up one from Schucks for $4, but the Winter Blast hit before I had a chance to try it. There's also a number of other ways to get at those clips using screwdrivers, home-made devices, a rag, etc.

Once the handles are off, the panel itself is held by...hmmmm...what -DO- you call those things? Anyways, best way is to work a stiff putty knife between the panel and the door to pop the panel loose. Just pulling on the panel can mangle it.

A bent table knife, you know, one that got the end burnt black from the 70's will also work.

Another method I haven't tried is a strip of cloth looped over the handle tight against the door panel behind the plastic spacer. Pull down on it and seesaw it back and forth. The ends of the clips will catch on the cloth and be pulled down and back.

A dull table knife can be used to carefully pry the plastic clips arould the edges out.

Edited by datzenmike

a sawzall makes it difficult to roll the window back up when your done. :lol:

there is hardware for the regulator (3 screws???) i have not put a regulator back on, just removed them. came out easy.

youll see a cotter pin on the forward section of the window, you need to remove it. then you rotate it and pull the window of the pin and it should come out the top.

i got the door panel off a while ago, i mean taking the entire inside of the door off to install the new lifter and glass. sorry i was unclear. you guys must think im lame, i know how to take off panels. haha.

anyone taken apart the door?

It does not come apart. Everything was installed that way at the factory. I've had all the internal window crank stuff out before. Your window is off, or out of the window channel???

there r 3 bolts that hold regulator on, 2 bolts that hold extra slider on, 3 bolts that hold window on regulator slide.. remove glass first, roll glass up or down to position to access 3 bolts 10 mm, then slant glass towards front of truck to take out of channels,then unbolt 2 bolts holding extra slider, then unbolt regulator, they r all 10 mm bolts, then fanangle the regulator out thru the middle hole in door, it is the easiest to get it out thru, u may have to roll regulator up or down to align it straight in order to remove thru hole in door, repeat same process to reinstall, make sure nylon extension at front of glass is in window channel so glass will roll up, and down properly.if u have not operated the new regulator i sent u make sure your old one lines up like the one i sent u, that will be the easiest way to get in and out.:D if any questions call me 602-323-4422 tom:)

My datsun has a single machine screw holding the window winder on -- none of the GM type stuff needing that special tool.

Which car do you have? Most Datsuns (and most older american too) just need a flat screwdriver stuck between door panel and door -- at the right spot -- and pop the clip out. Probably half dozen clips around the panel.

...this thread before. You probably got it sorted out by now. Here is a series of pics that I was going to post in the how to section but I never got around to it.

One of the problems I had trying to get the interior door panels off this parts truck was that it had been sitting in the rain and the fiber board was wet, so the plastic fasteners ripped through the fiber board backing right off the bat, rendering other wise useable, cherry panels useless. I didn't feel like making new ones out of Masonite and re-gluing the vinyl. Plus, now I can unscrew them at any time and service the door locks, glass, window regulators, etc. Easy to clean, mar resistant and fits my color scheme. They were $25 altogether.

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/figbuck/datdoors/