Pork's 521

porkchop

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bagged 521 owner myself so I am lookign forward to the build up of this truck. I dont get on the forum much other than to find the answers that are specific to Datsuns that the average enthusiast wont know and the guys (and girls) on this forum have been very helpful.

I also respect all vehicles from stock to off the wall customs. I just respect the hard work that people put into their vehicles to make it the one they want. I, like you, prefer mine "in the dirt" as well. I will be putting mine on the rockers within the next couple of weeks after I get it put back driveable and will probably make my own thread for the re-build as well. Good luck with the truck!

I am a bagged 521 owner myself so I am lookign forward to the build up of this truck. I dont get on the forum much other than to find the answers that are specific to Datsuns that the average enthusiast wont know and the guys (and girls) on this forum have been very helpful.

I also respect all vehicles from stock to off the wall customs. I just respect the hard work that people put into their vehicles to make it the one they want. I, like you, prefer mine "in the dirt" as well. I will be putting mine on the rockers within the next couple of weeks after I get it put back driveable and will probably make my own thread for the re-build as well. Good luck with the truck!

Please do post up a thread and thanks!

nice lil truck, see was that sooo hard? heh

:D

Aight, I did a quick search yesterday and came up with nothing. Can the Datsun Gurus tell me if a 520 front clip is a bolt on conversion for my 521? If I decide not to do a 520 conversion, does anyone relatively close have a 521 hood and driver's side door and fender they wanna unload? ;)

You can get the factory manuals at http://www.olddatsuns.com on the tech page. I'm pretty sure they have the body diagrams and maybe the measurements. The 520 nose is shorter. I'm nearly positve the frames are the same. The real question is whether or not it moves the core support towards the firewall. Crabbyone has a 520 with a Z20(I think) in it.....so I'm guessing it doesn't.

As for bolt on....no...all the inner structure under the fenders is welded to the firewall. But.....in your case, I'd consider it quite doable....just tedious drilling out all the spot welds. I'm not a fan of the 520 nose, but that would be a really cool project. Get a 520 cab......hhhmmm.....once you have that you might as well just swap the cab. Anyway....you might be able to just swap the core support onto the inner fender supports if they're the same length. 520 parts are some of the hardest to find....so if you're just looking for another option to replace the fender/door, you might be making more grief for yourself. If you love the nose on the 520.....do it and take lots of pics :)

Yup, a Z20/dogleg in my 520. It's a tight fit....I've had a 521 in the past, and I am quite sure the 520/521 frames are darned near identical dimensionally. The 520 loses an inch or two from core support to firewall, because of the shape I would guess.. I could not use a 521 radiator for my swap, no clearance for the water pump and fan, and the engines are the same size. I would look for a 520 cab to swap if that's the look you want. Or find a complete 520 and use the 521 as a parts truck. There are differences between the two in the door hardware, also. The hood/nose drops down on the 520 more than on the 521. I like the "bulldog" stance of the 520, but to each his own....

Thanks for the replies. I think at this point, it is kind of a wash. I like the 520 nose, but I don't know if I like it enough to be taking that kind of time to track it down, and do the swap. The 521 is still cool and sounds like it is more available. Cost is also a big factor in this build as I am building a budget rocker dragger. Thanks again, guys!

• 1 month later...

Aight, I dug this up for an update.....which isn't much of an update. I am putting this on the back burner for now to finish the '64 Bug I have in the garage. I am hoping to have the bug done by fall so I can make this the winter project. Anyways, I know I'm gonna hear it, so lay it on me!!!! :lol:

nice truck, Nice welcome too. I'd say welcome but i tooo was ostercized at first on this forum. Theres lots of useful info on this forum but be careful some people can be very, my opinion is the only opinion, Maybe we can have a build off... i started a 69 then found a 71 on craigslist that was pretty minty for a 521, much better than the brownie.......Me also, needs to find the time to work on mine....i am now putting the rebuilt motor outta brownie into the green monster and gettin it all tightened up before I bag it. tryin to get it runnin by the golden gardens meet at the end of the month but work and other things keep gettin in the way! Im got some phone pics of both but having a hard time loading onto pc. Good luck and even though i hate import cars you integra was beefy! So did that can get crushed, My buddy had a civic that we made suck a tire and you could drive a nail in a 2x4 withthe cylinders he was runnin.......looked funny withthe tire banging in and out of the wheel well. Keep on truckin and drag it till it don't drag no more.....:eek:

nice truck, Nice welcome too. I'd say welcome but i tooo was ostercized at first on this forum. Theres lots of useful info on this forum but be careful some people can be very, my opinion is the only opinion, Maybe we can have a build off... i started a 69 then found a 71 on craigslist that was pretty minty for a 521, much better than the brownie.......Me also, needs to find the time to work on mine....i am now putting the rebuilt motor outta brownie into the green monster and gettin it all tightened up before I bag it. tryin to get it runnin by the golden gardens meet at the end of the month but work and other things keep gettin in the way! Im got some phone pics of both but having a hard time loading onto pc. Good luck and even though i hate import cars you integra was beefy! So did that can get crushed, My buddy had a civic that we made suck a tire and you could drive a nail in a 2x4 withthe cylinders he was runnin.......looked funny withthe tire banging in and out of the wheel well. Keep on truckin and drag it till it don't drag no more.....:eek:

Thanks bro! I am sure I crushed the can as I had a habit of doing that. I never ran nitrogen on it, just compressed air, but the cylinders were WAY quick even on air. I was never a big fan of imports either but my Ranger had just been totaled, I needed a car, and my buddy made me a smoking deal on this one so I figured I would try something different. One of my old ST buddies had video of me rolling three wheel down the freeway at 65-70 mph on the way to Oregon for a show. Is that your Escalade clipped dually in your avatar that looks like it's sitting on Alcoas?

Edited by porkchop

CHA'LAXs Porkchops,pic's would be nice.and remember it's a Datsun not a VW,Dodge,Ford,Chevy,Toyota.I came to this fourm for the simple reason that i do not know datsun and have been getting the info i need.But i did not do a 3rd fuck you post:blink:

Know one is better than the next,They just know more than you.

CHA'LAXs Porkchops,pic's would be nice.and remember it's a Datsun not a VW,Dodge,Ford,Chevy,Toyota.I came to this fourm for the simple reason that i do not know datsun and have been getting the info i need.But i did not do a 3rd fuck you post:blink:

Know one is better than the next,They just know more than you.

Hey Andy. The vibe I am getting from this post is that you are referring to the beginning of this thread and saying i just need to chill and relax. Oh, and a request for pics, too.

I am under the impression that the misunderstanding/miscommunication at the beginning of my thread is squashed and I am most definitely "cha'laxed", bro. As far as pics, I have slapped all kinds of pics up of my Datsun and previous rides. As far as this 3rd "f*** you post" that you refer to, I'm apparently not picking up what you're putting down.