The Numbers Are In!!!!

lynchfourtwenty

welll its kind of what i was afraid of..

this was done when the engine was still at operating temp..

compression test:

#1 120

#2 127

#3 125

#4 131

fairly even, but still low.. i will be doing a cheap rebuild, bearings, piston rings, maybe valve seals if i can get the tool thing.. that will be here pretty soon, prolly after i get the ve in the se-r.. she doesnt smoke, all the spark plugs are clean as hell.. barely any valve train noise.. shes just starting to develope that damn blow by.. :(

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say it eats a half quart every few months of daily driving hard

and ya i think i might just buy the tool, harbor frieght has great prices, cylinder hone is $15.99, ring pliers $5.99, ring compressor $7.99 valve spring compressor $6.99

that kinda stuff i can offord, plus i'll learn something, plus rings an bearings are prretty cheap, i know my pistons rods an crank arent damaged so i see no reason to replace those..

well unless its like 25 cents or something its not really worth it, for less then $10 a tool i'd rather just buy it an keep it.. i have other motors to work on also, not jus the l20, plus im tryin to get as many auto tools as i can since im always workin on something.. it would cost like $40ish after tax to get all those tools an i would put them to good use so thats a great price :)

auto zones "Rents" them out

meaning you pay their high price for it, and when your done you can bring it back and get a full refund, not sure about the other parts stores. if there is a harbor freight near you just buy em and save yourself the second trip to the store ;)

compression test:

#1 120

#2 127

#3 125

#4 131

..... she doesnt smoke, all the spark plugs are clean as hell.. barely any valve train noise.. shes just starting to develope that damn blow by.. :(

i'd say it eats a half quart every few months of daily driving hard

My 300,000 km L20B had 120 across the board, NO smoke, No oil burning, plugs clean, ran fine, started on first turn every time. As long as the compression is even it will run smooth. What more do you want? If you can afford a re-build then fine but the only thing that will change is maybe a bit more power. 1/2 quart every few months is nothing to worry about.

THOSE NUMBERS ARE FINE

Unless you have any oil burning out the exhaust pipe, don't waste your time and money trying to "fix" a non-problem.

My craftsman gauge always reads around 120 on any good engine. Remember the books, and instructions with gauges, say to look for close even numbers, not any specific actual number.

auto zones "Rents" them out

meaning you pay their high price for it, and when your done you can bring it back and get a full refund, not sure about the other parts stores. if there is a harbor freight near you just buy em and save yourself the second trip to the store ;)

thats not how it was at the one i worked at....

I've always been taught that as long as the engine isn't burning oil or a real dog in power, it's better to have lower numbers that are relatively even than higher numbers with more than 10% or so variance between cylinders. My 175000 mile L20B was around 140 for all cylinders, but that was also without it being warmed up. I had to check it that way because the battery was just low enough for it not to start, and I was using the compression test as a diagnostic tool before I actually had the battery tested. I'm not sure if those numbers would go up or down after warm up...I'll have to try it after I replace the headgasket :lol:

As for the tool rental, can't you really "rent" tools at all the parts stores by using them and taking them back :) .. That being said, some of the specialty tools like the brake piston tool always has a waiting list for "rental" at Autozone..

Isn't cheap rebuild an oxymoron? :D

by cheap rebuild i meant that i wasnt going to have any crank work done, or rods or pistons.. just the basics.. hone the cylinders replace valve seals... replace rings and bearings.. simple stuff.. all of which i was going to do my self compared to a "shop" it would be "cheaper" my timing set has less then 5000 miles on it so i'd reuse that..