Head + L16 Block

dreamers_vault

Im just wondering...can i fit another L series ( L18, L20B ) head on the L16 block?

ie :

L16 Block + L18 / L20B head ?

or

L16 Block + L16 Head + L18/L20B cam?

if possible...if...which will be the best setup? im not sure about the water jacket or the inlet/outlet size...will it fit?

sorry if this a noob question...i really dont know...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you have performance in mind.

The original 219 SSS head would give pretty much the biggest cam, intake port size and valves plus it is a closed chamber head.

Alternatively, any closed chamber A-87 head could be converted over into it equivalent, by opening the intake ports out to a larger size.

Because you are in Malaysia, and closer to Japan you may be able to acquire a domestic only W-53 closed chamber head and port out the intakes as above.

The W-58 from the later L20Bs, was also available with closed chamber (I had one from a '78-'79 200sx) and can be 'converted' like the two above heads. This will involve more work as the exhaust ports have steel liners in them that can or should be removed. The exhaust ports are also round and are not a perfect match to the square exhaust manifold. (but they will work) IF you were to run this head you might also run a round port header to match. The W-58 is considered a smog head, but can easily be de-smogged.

Now the reason for the closed chamber head, is to preserve the compression on the smaller L16 motor. An L16 with a closed chamber head will have a compression of 8.39 which is fine. An open chamber head will be 7.8 compression. In both cases the head could be shaved to raise the compression but why not start out in the right spot to begin with.

As for a cam, the L20B cam is very close to the L16 SSS cam. I don't know what cam is in the A-87 or W-53 heads, but an L20B cam could be swapped into them.

• 1 month later...
i've opened up my 510 head...it has the a87 head...is there any way that i can identify the cam model?

Not really, unless you are good with a micrometer and math. lol

The head in the picture you posted has a W58 on it...that is off of an L20b and if unmolested has an L20 cam in it. I ran a L20 cam in my L16 and notice a bit of improvement. :D

If that is a w58 in the picture then it is a closed chamber version which is great. I believe that if you use the stock square port exhaust then you should leave the liners in place as they should help to guide the air into the runners since the actual opening size is slightly beyond the edge of the square port walls. I have ran a w58 with square mani a few times and it works wonderfully.

everyone is getting confused...hehe..the picture above is not mine..its on sale while ago that i intended to buy but didnt...

so after opened up my L16 head...there is a mark saying A87..:D

hmm...there is few mark n words on the cam..but i cant really understand it,,:lol:

The A87 is a good head for an L16. It was used on larger motors so should breath fine on an L16. Just below and behind the #1 plug is the casting number for the head type.

Can you see if yours is like the picture with small kidney shaped combustion chambers??? Called a p-nut head this is preferable to keep the compression up on a smaller L16 motor.

Several cam types were used on the L18. However an L20B cam is almost the equivalent of the L16 SSS cam with very similar lift and duration. L20B cams usually have this double casting bump in the center if you find one. There's no wrighting on it but a U60 may be cast in it.

IMAGE_047.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
Image052-15.jpg

Has a Nissan combination oil pressure gauge and low oil pressure (red dash light) sender. Can't see very well. Looks like an L20B cam, stock fuel pump.

What tranny is that?? Got pix of it?

My L16 had a U20 cam in it with cam bosses and everything....but it was an L16 stock cam. Wierd! :D

its a 5 speed tranny..came stock with it...its quite impossible if its from Z tranny..as Z is a very20x rare here..

most probably the tranny is from the 510 itself or PA10 or 910...most of it is a 5 speed.

L20b cam? hmm...will try to get a better picture..

Take a picture of the tranny, I may be able to tell you what it ISN'T at least.

My L16 had a U20 cam in it with cam bosses and everything....but it was an L16 stock cam. Wierd! :D

After almost 40 years things get swapped around a lot. The L20B would be a 'poor man's' L16SSS cam.

Edited by datzenmike

U20 is just the base camshaft casting. I've seen plenty of L16s with stock U20 casting cams, and L18s, and L20Bs. Hardly unusual. Tells nothing of the grind. They all started out the same. Early L16 cams were different castings.

The transmission is a common F4W63 4-speed. You can tell by the square bottom cover and the waffled external ribs, plus the shifter linkage.