FS: VQ510- 1972 2door VQ35DE swapped 510

Hey fellow Datsun enthusiasts. I haven't been on this forum as much as I should've so I don't know many of you (other than those that also hang out on "the510realm"). I'm having to sell my unique VQ swapped 510 & know that if someone from this site purchases it, it will be treated well & completed as it should (bodywork) or jut plain enjoyed like I have been.

This is a One-of-a-kind 1972 2-Door Datsun 510 with a VQ35DE Engine Swap. That’s right a 287 hp V6 from a 2006 G35/350z. I want to start a business (since I'm being laid-off) & need to drum up some capital, so my 510 has got to go for now. Hopefully, if the business is successful I will be able to buy another one of these classics & do a similar swap (then I guess this one won’t be one-of-a-kind anymore, but still a first-of-its-kind). I have put close to $25,000 into this car, not to mention countless hours working on it. I don’t expect to sell it for that but the closer I can get to that the better of course. I’m going to ask $20,000 obo.

carfrontun8.jpg

Video:

This car has the renowned handling & styling of a 510 & the award winning engine of a 350z in a vehicle that is around 1000lbs. lighter than a Z33. This makes for a very fun & responsive streetcar (or race car) that I’m going to miss greatly. Even my wife doesn't want me to sell it which is rare when if comes to my "toys".

Engine:

VQ35DE from a 2006 G35 (same engine as the 287hp 350z engine)

6 Spd transmission (CD008)

Vqswap shifter relocator (moves the shifter 4” forward, where it needs to be)

Custom Engine Mount brackets (uses stock rubber mounts, the engine is amazingly completely motionless under load, no twisting)

XTD Chromoly lightweight Flywheel

OEM clutch & pressure plate

Braided Stainless Steel clutch line

Modified Intake manifold/Upper plenum to have a larger neck & support a Performance Products 85mm Throttle-body (stock is 70mm) 4” intake piping

AEM EMS tuned

AAM Angled Plenum Spacer (good for 5-10hp)

Rewired with a 240sx fuse box

Reversed front crossmember

Relocated Battery (behind passenger seat)

Fuel System:

RCI 15 gallon Fuel Cell

Custom Surge Tank

Walbro 240lph high pressure pump

Mallory 90gph low pressure pump

8AN fuel filters

8AN & 6AN stainless steel braided Fuel lines with Earls, Russel, & Aeroquip fittings

Injected Performance Fuel Rails

SX adjustable fuel pressure regulator with pressure gauge

Cooling:

Oil Cooler with Greddy Sandwich Adapter with thermostat

Steel Braided 10an oil lines

Afco Sirrocco style dual pass aluminum radiator

Exhaust:

Modified OEM exhaust manifolds (all stainless steel)

2 1/4” stainless piping to 3” aluminized steel pipe

3” resonator & 3” Magnaflow muffler (no catalytic converters)

The car sounds great, with the definitive VQ exhaust note

Drivetrain:

Custom Driveshaft (good for 500 whp)

3.7 ratio R200 Differential with Z32 finned cover & new bearings

MadDat R200 conversion Mustache bar

OBX Helical LSD (the LSD design faults & weaknesses have been fixed)

Shortened Z31 Turbo CV axles (also very strong)

Modern Motorpsorts Billet Companion Flanges

280z Stub Axles (known for strength) new bearings as well

Interior:

F1-spec Mugen Style Fiberglass seats

Custom carbon fiber dash with Autometer gauges

Tach & Speedometer are Ultra-lite series

The remaining are Lunar series (fuel level, oil pressure, water temp, voltage)

AEM wideband sensor with gauge

RCI seat harnesses

Door panels & rear seats are in good shape (though not perfect)

Headliner is in awesome shape compared to the typical 510

Dash Pad is near perfect (replaced it recently)

Momo Steering wheel hub

Sprint racing steering wheel (I may replace this with a Sparco)

Exterior:

Advan SA3R wheels, 16x7’s up front with 16x8’s In the rear

BF Goodrich G-Force KDW T/A tires (nearly new) 205front, 225rear

Hella/BMW headlight conversion with relays

Hood shocks

Carbon Fiber rear view mirrors

Suspension/Steering:

Koni Yellow’s in the rear with Ground Control Springs (approx. 950lbs.)

Koni Red’s in front with 325lb Ground Control Springs, spare 275lb set

200sx V6 front struts

Techno Toy Tuning tension rods

Penultimate Rear crossmember

Cusco Camber Plates

Bumpsteer Spacers

Techno Toy Tuning Spring perches with bearings up front

Modified Rear LCA’s for added rear wheel clearance

Custom Rack & pinion steering rack using a BMW manual rack (very nice/tight steering feel with no noticeable bump steer)

Rolled fenders with a professional rolling tool

Front Sway Bar (this is one thing that can/should be replaced with an aftermarket one designed to go in front of the oil pan)

Brakes:

Z32 4 piston Calipers in front with 11.5” vented rotor

Z32 2 piston Calipers in rear

Most of the Brake hardlines are new

Stainless steel braided flexible lines

Wilwood brake bias adjuster (in cabin)

280zx 15/16 Brake Master Cylinder

Security:

Python Pager Car Alarm

JDM Removable Steering Wheel hub

EXTRAS:

2 heads from a “Rev-Up” VQ35DE (1mm more lift on the cams & stiffer valve springs)

Spare BMW/Hella headlights

Spare BMW manual steering rack

Replacement ignition switch & spare key blank

Royal Purple Trans fluid (enough for oil change)

Spare bolts & parts from the engine

Handbrake, cables, & Wilwood spot calipers (for E-brake conversion)

Spare C pillar vents

Additional spare parts that your typical 510 owner has

As you can see, I have done about all of the performance, handling, drivetrain, & electronic modifications that you can dream of to this car. The only thing that remains to make this car perfect is body-work. The car is a good candidate for bodywork (not a rusted out shell) or you can transfer all of these parts onto an already done chassis.

The body is fairly solid with dings here & there on the exterior, some holes in the floor pans (mainly Driver’s side, that can be spot repaired, does not need complete replacement), & a dented rocker on the driver’s side. The trunk is solid (not rusted out) & the rear tail light panel was replaced with fiberglass. The front passenger side fender was recently replaced & rattle-canned white to match the car for now, awaiting my future plans to paint the car. With some body work & some wire tucking this will be even more of eye turner than it already is.

Buy this car, do the bodywork how you want it, and make it yours.

The car is located in Salt Lake City, Utah & local pick-up is certainly welcome. I will also work with a shipping company arranged by the purchaser.

$20,000 obo

cardsiderl1.jpg

engbaynk5.jpg

axlespto8.jpg

fuelsyses1.jpg

wheelfrontko6.jpg

dashkj5.jpg

carintseatssc1.jpg

rockerdentga9.jpg

Edited by xlr8r
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a couple things that made it a little tricky to fit, but for the most part it fits nicely. I will also offer to give the buyer any help & info needed that they may have over the course of ownership.

The car is groundbreaking with a unique swap & has the mods needed to support this kind of torque & more should someone decide to boost it.

It is obo though so make an offer if interested.

jrbd10 & I exchanged pm's & I'm not interested in straight exchanges (need the $) but may consider a vehicle plus $. The majority of the exchange being cash though. Cars I'm interested in include: 510's, 93-01 AWD Impreza wagons, several other wagons or hatchbacks by different makes.

Edit:

Other items included with the 510-

Front bumper

Spare door hinges with new pins/bushings

Some Braided steel lines & fittings

Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley

Fat Mat Sound deadening

Set of 15" wheels

etc.

Edited by xlr8r
  • 2 weeks later...

nice car but even at $18,500, body not that clean and to be honest with you your luck to get back even 50% of what you put in. I've had over 32 car in my lifetime and made money on cars that I hardly did anything just got it running. Hope you don't think that we are bursting your bubble but give Ebay a try.

I take no offense & understand where you're coming from. I'm still seeing what the market value is & if it's too low I won't be selling it. I'm still torn, but we could use the $. If we don't get enough $ for it, it won't justify me selling my pride & joy.

510er

As far as side pic of the front rim is posted above, but maybe you meant of the car so here's one in case. This pic is from when it had 16x7's front & rear though, not the 16x8's currently in the back.

car2mv8.jpg

Nice 510. My advice is to spend a weekend and a grand to give it a decent paint job. It would ebay for your asking price.

Call them crazy but most people have a prob dropping close to 20k on a car that looks like that. I'm not one of them but I ask don't buy, I build so moot point.

Best of luck in any event.

I may do that in a few weeks when work slows back down again.

I've always had the $5000+ paint job stuck in my mind (get it back down to the metal & paint it a new color inside & out) but I guess I can smooth it over & throw another coat of white on just the outside of it.

I take no offense & understand where you're coming from. I'm still seeing what the market value is & if it's too low I won't be selling it. I'm still torn, but we could use the $. If we don't get enough $ for it, it won't justify me selling my pride & joy.

510er

As far as side pic of the front rim is posted above, but maybe you meant of the car so here's one in case. This pic is from when it had 16x7's front & rear though, not the 16x8's currently in the back.

car2mv8.jpg

Bro, find another way try not to sell. Seems like your project is almost done, maybe just paint. It looks like you done a lot of work.

I'm only asking this question here because I feel I can get an unbiased opinion. As I've had the car listed for sale I've received many compliments & suggestions to do whatever I can to keep it. The more I think about it the more I want to keep it because I will probably never again put so much effort into a car, nor have a car that I enjoy as much. So last night I thought of this:

Holding a raffle, $1 a ticket (probably pay via paypal) for each dollar sent, I send the person an e-mail with their number/s. Every $10 gets an extra ticket. Probably do it for a 2 week duration.

What's the prize?

I take the car over to the winners place & let them see & experience the car firsthand by taking the winner & some friends cruising. It would also be possible to fly the winner & friends to Utah for the experience if they'd rather visit Utah as well.

What to the proceeds accomplish?

Me keeping & completing the car!!! :) The money raised will go towards me completing the bodywork on the car. I will create a website & post up progress pics etc. on the site. I'll also post up video of the winner going for a ride in the car. Yes, some money will go towards paying some of the bills that I intended to pay by selling the car.

So here's the question. Do you think it's a good idea & is it something that you feel people would want to participate in? Or does it seem like me asking for a handout that most people will lift their nose up at?

Edit:

Or do you think the only way the raffle would really be successful is if the prize is the car?

Edited by xlr8r

I would totally be okay with just giving you 5 bucks. IMO you are the creator of this car, you will be the only person to ever fully appreciate it. So again IMO you should be the one to keep it and if my 5 bucks can help that then so be it

So the winner of the raffle gets a ride in the car , its one hell of a car ,you did a great job with the modifications, and I sure would like to go for a ride ...., but I am not sure this will work, you pay for a ticket to get a ride, I think times are too tough , everybody i think are struggling just to make ends meet, 5 houses on every block for sale , its just not good timeing, I would like to see you keep it as well but raffles are for winning something big,and usally have some kind of charity affiliated with them, that way some of the money goes to you + some goes to charity, ,people buck up when it comes down to a good cause,Maybe a ad in Hemmings motor news and a call to like Victory Junction gang or Hole in the wall + join up with them and Raffle your car, Winner gets the car, you get your $20,000 ( hopefully ) + the rest goes to charity, you pay your bills and build another car . This is just my opinion, ( I know very little, i usally have to sell all my toys and lose money doing it, but the raffle idea is a good one )

Yeah, as I've been giving it more thought I've realized a raffle for a ride in the car, BIG WHOOP. I'm sure a number of people would participate to help me keep the car, but not enough to really make a dent or cover travel costs. Raffling the car is risky, since it may not raise much, but could raise a ton of $.

The main concern is legal issues, since it may be considered gambling & Utah would crack down on the that. That's probably why most car raffles are connected to a charity because that may be the only way for it to be legal.

At this point I've dropped my asking price to $16,500

That is the rock bottom price for me. Any less & I'm not selling it.

I'm also considering selling my Engine/EMS/Drivetrain to a local doing a similar swap in to a 280z. This would put $ in my pocket to cover bills for a little while, then I'll focus on body work on the Dime, then when times are better I'll buy another engine & drop it in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.