85 720 wheel cylinder leaking.

Today on the way to work,my brake light came on and went off all the way  there.I Knew that my clutch master cylinder was low and the wheel cylinder was leaking.I bummed some brake fluid at work.When I got home, the fluid was not at full and I got under it and the driver side tire was drenched with brake fluid.I put a set on it over 25 years ago,got from Auto Zone,I called them, a dude said,they will be in Monday.So I called Orielly's and they said tomorrow.So I will buy 2 for 18.99 each,then Monday,I will take my other one's to Auto Zone and get the free one's.Last time the brake fluid cracked the brake shoes.Got hot.Only one is leaking but I will change both.I will take pics.My top to the brake master cylinder has the plunger and electrical wire to it to let you know when your brake fluid is low.Not from Auto Zone.Got it from Napa.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wheel cylinders came in today from O'Reilly's.I filled the brake reservoir up yesterday.I just got home from work and shopping.I opened the hood and reservoir is full.I crawled under the truck and rear driver tire is bone dry.I am fixing to get the stain off the tire.Now it is a mystery to me. Shows sign of something been on the tire and dried.Nothing in the area is wet.No rain here in a very long time.I have stopped using my emergency brake every since I filled up the reservoir yesterday.I thought I saw it dripping yesterday at the rear tire.I am fixing to go out there and pull my emergency brake and see if it will cause the wheel cylinder to leak.What is everybody's take on this?

• Like 1

My bad.I just rubbed my finger under the bottom of the brake backing.Yes the wheel cylinder is leaking.I will start getting the rear hubs off I will probably  order some new brake shoes.No local Auto part stores have any 720 parts in stock.Oh well.I will show what I find when I get the hub off.

19 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Bottom line - new rubber sucks.

Unless OEM, it's a crap shoot.

I just went thru 2 sets of Nabco’s . Both sets leaked . Very unusual - but it happened . 

Here is the dust cover on the brake back plate.I took off and used a flat head screw driver and pushed the star tensioner down to release brakes from hub.Here are the screws that I used to screw in holes in hub to push it out.It is a phillips head.I had in my screw bucket.Came out so easy.Time to order new brake shoes.I replaced these hubs years ago.

17255781660807518562954159075266.jpg

1725578182910108798329681673489.jpg

17255783442952803727089113320952.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

It is raining here.But anyway,I went out there in to put the wheel cylinder on so all the brake fluid would not leak out.The O'Rielly's part is not good.The  bleeder valve stem is not a 5/16,it is a 10mm.I had to take the bleeder valve stem off to get in opening.The bleeder valve stem is longer than the one I took off.Just like the O'Reilly's water pump,don't buy.The long bolts on that are not on it where it won't come off.Auto Zone's parts fit way better.This part I put on says made in China.Auto Zone may also be made there.I just hope it works.Hope the brake shoes fit.