I still haven't taken off the head on my 1600 motor

jerryt

In previous posts I was asking for advice if I had a blown gasket. Here are the symptoms. White sweet smelling smoke from  the exhaust pipe. Compression test shows cylinder 1 3 4 160 pounds. Cylinder 2 is 120 ponds. I have a bore scope no gouges in cylinders. Number 2 has rust on the top of piston. But here is the rub. No milk shake in oil or in the radiator. And water in the radiator has slightly oily film with what looks like rust.The engine shop I use suggested it could be a coolant leak from the gasket into the intake chamber. The car never did this after I got it running. It sat for 20 years. There is also using a vapor test that goes in the radiator fill neck. What do you all think? I know im in for some work. But im Looking for a little direction. Im also taking off draining oil and filter to check. And draining the radiator.

Thanks

Jerry

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many heat cycles have you put on it since you resurrected it? Rings can get sticky when motors sit unused for long stretches, and if #2 has rust in the bore, it may just need some more run time to clear up. Assuming it holds coolant, you're not going to hurt anything.

But, here's the bad news - rust in a cylinder almost always means that the ring rusted to the cylinder wall, and now the ring is scarred from the rust and so is the cylinder wall. Doesn't really matter where the water came from. The damage is done. Or maybe not... Run it for a while longer and find out.

Ok I only ran it for about 5 minutes at the longest. That's why im surprised my motor started spewing white smoke. When it blew smoke I only ran it for about 2 minutes. I wa s thinking dropping the oil and filter and examine what come out. And I was going to drop the water in the radiator. If idid fire it up again how long would you run the engine? And I did torque the head s again. But I also have to point out that with the front end up in the air. I did look up at the bottom of the intake manifold and noticed a few small bubbles. So it could be the intake. So I will inspect all of these things and maybe replace the intake exhaust gasket.

Thanks

Jerry

• Like 1

Yes, change out the oil and filter, check that there is coolant, or even water at this point, and run it. Let it idle for an hour in your driveway while you do some other job, but keep close attention to the coolant level. You don't want to overheat it and cause more problems. Once you have established that it can run for a while, take it out on the road and lean into it a bit to help clean out the junk inside the motor. Like I already said, if there's damage, it's already done.

Well I finally changed the oil and filter on my 1600 motor. It was half oil and gas. I stil have to dump the water in the radiator. But so far no milkshake. The fuel in the gas seems to come from the float was incorrectly put together. I put in the coat again and made sure it moved the needle up. Still haven't fired it up. I want to do a compression check again. And I tightened up the intake and exhaust bots again. How does this sound so far?

Thanks

Jerry

Sounds like you're hoping these simple things will solve your problem. Take the head off. When the head gasket is replaced the manifold gasket can be replaced also. 

Good time to clean and lap the valves and replace the valve seals. Check for valve guide wear and actually get a really good look at the cylinder walls. None of this can be done with the head on.

A blown head gasket does not always present with a milky oil.

8 hours ago, jerryt said:

Will do Mike. I was always taught blown head gasket means milk shake in the oil or radiator. I already warned the machine shop I want the heads checked since it will be off.
thanks

Kerr

You can rent or buy a tool that checks for exhaust gas in the coolant.....

You can rent from autozone and you just need to by the test fluid....

Screenshot_20240911_182439_DuckDuckGo.jpg

10 hours ago, jerryt said:

Well I finally changed the oil and filter on my 1600 motor. It was half oil and gas. I stil have to dump the water in the radiator. But so far no milkshake. The fuel in the gas seems to come from the float was incorrectly put together. I put in the coat again and made sure it moved the needle up. Still haven't fired it up. I want to do a compression check again. And I tightened up the intake and exhaust bots again. How does this sound so far?

Thanks

Jerry

Also I know you think the gas might have come from the carburetor float and it may have been the issue but another possibility is the manual fuel pump on the head..... there have been some where that was leaking gas ...