Scammer alert

Watch out for sergio33, I got a message from him in regards to my intake manifold wanted ad. I realized quickly that it seemed fishy as he has a brand new account and the guy he referred to that apparently has an intake available doesn't exist on the forum. Here is the message he sent. "Hey, have you try asking Jason94sport about the L20b Intake he has to part out with? If not i will advise you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him, it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer. You can email him for a fast response. Bascotbills@gmail.com   Have a nice day." Apparently somebody is going around on various car forums using almost the same exact message with that fake jason94sport handle and Bascotbills@gmail.com email. Luckily I figured out this was a scam right away and didn't send any money.

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Rustbuster78 said:

Watch out for sergio33, I got a message from him in regards to my intake manifold wanted ad. I realized quickly that it seemed fishy as he has a brand new account and the guy he referred to that apparently has an intake available doesn't exist on the forum. Here is the message he sent. "Hey, have you try asking Jason94sport about the L20b Intake he has to part out with? If not i will advise you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him, it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer. You can email him for a fast response. Bascotbills@gmail.com   Have a nice day." Apparently somebody is going around on various car forums using almost the same exact message with that fake jason94sport handle and Bascotbills@gmail.com email. Luckily I figured out this was a scam right away and didn't send any money.

Thank you sir. Flag as a spammer and banned.

Also that email is not associated with any member here. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I just fell for this trap! Sent 70$ and learned a hard lesson. Its really disappointing to see this kind of stuff on this forum. I thought we were all here for the love of datsun/nissans. Glad it was only 70 bucks and not the 200 he asked for. 

I have had the same thing happen x 3 here within the past month. The classifieds are becoming useless for that reason.

Someone will respond to your ad and say they know someone and give the e-mail address of the third party.

If you write the third party you have just opened the door to PayPal fraud because you provided some of your PayPal account info (your e-mail address).

10 hours ago, sick620 said:

yeah same for me every time I have posted a wanted ad someone does it. @sTanTruck if you used paypal ask them to do a charge back, I did it and got my money back once. 

I used Venmo 😞 

I signed his email up for a service that sends subscription emails 12x/minute so I feel better. hahah 

2 hours ago, sTanTruck said:

Same guy Bascotbills@gmail.com

That email is not associated with any member. 

I am not sure how we can better protect against someone not using our forums. 
Was there a member that gave you that email? 

username gabby is a scammer. just got one of these generic scammer messages they like to send out "hello, are you still looking? you can get in contact with Samson if its still available... his mail is samson.2millard@gmail.com"

Edited by sick620
  • Like 1

There are ways to communicate with someone to help call their bluff. I always tell them to contact me through another means, either email or phone. I use a google voice number that I can burn if needed.  If they are selling something, I ask to see a pic of that part in their actual hand. That's what threw off the last guy. He immediately got defensive. That's when I said, hey, if you're not a scammer, then just show me the pic of your hand holding the part.

I always tell them I won't click on any links or even call them.

I will ask for their contact info and then I google it to see if they have a legit email address or phone number and if it's ever been used in a scam before.

I ask where they live and feel them out that way too.

I hate to use grammar as a way to spot someone, but it works. Language is important. If they can't put a sentence together without sounding like a robot, then they are probably fake.

Just the other day, I pissed off a guy who as it turns out, was legit. But I defended myself by explaining that you just can't trust anyone these days. Everyone has an angle. The ad I put up on FB marketplace was hijacked by some lady who locked me out of the ad. What was her angle? No freakin idea.

I like to think someone is real and will give them the benefit, but if I find out they are fake, they feel my wrath.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, RetroRocket said:

I hesitated to confront because I don't want to insult a valid member/ad response. But my gut meter has alerted me to several of these and I was right about the fraud.

Meanwhile, I think I'll pull my wtb ad. One less stressor I don't need.

I don't usually do the classifieds ,,  What are you looking for ??

I was in process of finally down sizing to erect a new shed before i get to old to even use the damn thing.. Then,, as it always works, i came into a ton of parts lately from a field south of here out in Rochester WA ,, mostly 720 KC and 620s  but other shit as well . 

Or link to ad if not deleted 

i'm out south of Tumwater

Edited by bananahamuck

I also got a message from username gabby.He is definitely a scammer. just got one of theses generic scammer messages they like to send out "hello, are you still looking? you can get in contact with Samson if its still available... his mail is samson.2millard@gmail.com". I asked the lowlife to take a pic of the item on any of todays newspaper. Then of course it went silent.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There are ways to communicate with someone to help call their bluff. I always tell them to contact me through another means, either email or phone. I use a google voice number that I can burn if needed.  If they are selling something, I ask to see a pic of that part in their actual hand. That's what threw off the last guy. He immediately got defensive. That's when I said, hey, if you're not a scammer, then just show me the pic of your hand holding the part.

I always tell them I won't click on any links or even call them.

I will ask for their contact info and then I google it to see if they have a legit email address or phone number and if it's ever been used in a scam before.

I ask where they live and feel them out that way too.

I hate to use grammar as a way to spot someone, but it works. Language is important. If they can't put a sentence together without sounding like a robot, then they are probably fake.

Just the other day, I pissed off a guy who as it turns out, was legit. But I defended myself by explaining that you just can't trust anyone these days. Everyone has an angle. The ad I put up on FB marketplace was hijacked by some lady who locked me out of the ad. What was her angle? No freakin idea.

I like to think someone is real and will give them the benefit, but if I find out they are fake, they feel my wrath.

Also, I did get turned over by buying outside ebay. I purchased the item through ebay and then a few hours later the seller cancelled the deal saying that the item had already sold and he hadn't got around to taking it off ebay. I then sent him a message asking if he had any more for sale or if he knew of any more for sale. He replied saying, email me, which I did. He said he had one and that it was $25 more than the one that was on ebay. Stupidly I tried sending the money via paypal and it wouldn't let me. Then he sent a money request as friends and family and I paid it. I knew immediately I'd been done. The ebay username was  kota091120102021  and the rat's email is jerseyberry@yahoo.com. His name is William Berry. Could anyone who knows this creep please let me knoe his address and any other details they might have. Cheers.

15 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

I don't usually do the classifieds ,,  What are you looking for ??

I was in process of finally down sizing to erect a new shed before i get to old to even use the damn thing.. Then,, as it always works, i came into a ton of parts lately from a field south of here out in Rochester WA ,, mostly 720 KC and 620s  but other shit as well . 

Or link to ad if not deleted 

i'm out south of Tumwater

I may have been out to your place to buy some windows for my Mobile Traveler and a front sway bar for my Dodge chassis. It would have been decades ago.

I am interested but leaving town soon on a mission

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RetroRocket said:

I may have been out to your place to buy some windows for my Mobile Traveler and a front sway bar for my Dodge chassis. It would have been decades ago.

I am interested but leaving town soon on a mission

nah,, if you bought stuff in past , I can say with much confidence it  wasn’t me selling it.  Haha  We have in fact been here 34-35 years though 

i am mostly an accumulator , not seller..

It’s just the county changed rules , increasing size of non building permit shed . So i’m  getting rid of stuff , to make room before they change it back . 

No worries ,, my crap will most likely be here when you get back 

Edited by bananahamuck