720 Brake Light / Stop Light Switch

I noticed my brake lights were staying on after parking and walking away.

I jiggled the pedal and they went out. Looked around and found the correct switch from a good maker,........

But when I get under there to swap in the new switch there is an issue.

I took pictures but more than one are blurry from too short a distance.

It's like this,.... the switch is a plunger type, open when compressed, closed when released.

The brake pedal has a little plate welded on it's arm, (up high), that plate, when the brake pedal is at rest,

compresses the plunger of the switch. When the brakes are applied the plate moves away and the plunger

of the switch extends making the connection for the brake lights.

Problem was, instead of a simple plain, flat, plate,.... This one at least has a hole drilled in it.

The little plunger was catching just a bit of the edge of the hole, and sometimes slipping into the hole making

the lights go on and stay on.

All I could think was there was probably some kind of plug and it was missing.

I made a small nylon plug, pressed it in, and adjusted the gap, (.012" - .039"), everything works fine.

Here are some pictures for what their worth.

This ugly hole in the black plate, is what the switch was coming in contact with.

Stop Light Switch

To figure out the size of the hole I used a pin set. 

The hole size in this case was, .362" / .363"

20240708_232915

I had to pass through the mounting hole for the switch to check for hole size.

t4wy777

Nyon

20240708_230709

Plug

20240708_231135

I pressed it in with my thumb, it was snug.

20240708_231620

With the switch installed and adjusted.

20240708_232228

Stop Light Switch

20240708_232238

Has anyone else come across this problem?

MM

Edited by MachineMan
  • Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I believe there is supposed to be a rubber dome shaped bumper there, right?

Stoff, there isn't much room for anything except something thin.

Like Michael said, "a penny"

I'm thinking there may have been a "Black plastic plug" in there.

Has anyone seen a parts book, that covers the brake pedal assembly, indicating a plug for that hole?

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Son of a gun,..... looking at that part one has to think, "how do you set the 012" to .039" gap specified in the manual?"

I was thinking that a member may have threaded the hole and plugged it with a flat face set screw, lock nut on the back.

MM

Hi,back in December 2,2023,I posted on here when I changed my brake light switch.I have done it long ago too.I did take one picture.It is the switch with a nut that is needed to adjust the length of the switch to work.When you buy the switch it only comes with one nut.The other nut is a lock nut.The switch goes in a hole with the nut on one side and lock nut on the other.The plastic stopper on mine dry rotted long ago.So I just put a bolt in the hole as a stopper and it works perfect.I pushed the brake pedal in with my hand and wedged a 2x4 in there to hold brake pedal in to remove and replace the switch.The clutch switch uses the same switch.I have replaced that one also and use a bolt there as a stopper.Get switch from Auto Zone,life time warranty.So save your nut off the old switch.Here is a picture of my switch and my saved nut.Also pictures from my Haynes manual.The picture showing the 2 nuts  there's a plate with a hole that switch goes in.

20231202_133805.thumb.jpg.70194bc8d67de0190e366fecae0e26e1.jpg

17205627957621057855119076540276.jpg

17205632451295749995962405702479.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2

I believe in the picture where it says pedal bracket to the right is where the swich goes and behind that I'd the bracket that holds it.In this picture,looks as the stopper is gone. Look under switch,stopper gone,plastic was dumb on Nissan's part.These pics here are from Ebay,someone selling this.

17205639962676991826141178126268.jpg

17205640174022317281638141567029.jpg

17205640671663066434316198976228.jpg

17205641585134332755222950852399.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Yeah ,rubber wears out.Put a bolt in the stopper hole,also can put a nut on it.Believe me I been using this bolt for over 20 years.Nissan went brain dead on this, how many times do you push the brake and clutch pedal in and out

The rubber wears out.The bolt will out live both of us and everyone  has one in there bucket can.As you seen it in the picture ,plastic is gone and guy said ,where this come from.The switch  will stop at the bolt. Cant come out.Use stainless steel.Try it and see.You can go 4x4ing and bolt won't come out,don't need a nut on the end.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The stopper is there so you don't hear a clunk when you quickly release the pedal.

Some cushion,..... that makes sense.

MM

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Use this.

T316 stainless hex bolt WM-100x100.jpg

If you tap the hole in that plate,.........

Better to not be using a coarse thread fastener.

A "fine" pitch fastener will give a reasonable amount of threads to be reasonable.

Also reduce the thickness of the head of the bolt, (face it off on a lathe, grind it down, etc)

To keep things in about the same position, a bolt head thickness of roughly 3/32", (.090") would be fine.

Lock nut from behind because it's Brake related,...... and all is good with the world.

MM

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

20231202_133805.thumb.jpg.70194bc8d67de0190e366fecae0e26e1.jpg

Same exact part I bought.

There were a few to choose from.

I chose the one made in Italy

Prices ranged from $8.99 ~ $24.99

I paid $18 and some change for the one I bought.

MM

Edited by MachineMan
Spelling
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Yeah ,rubber wears out.Put a bolt in the stopper hole,also can put a nut on it.Believe me I been using this bolt for over 20 years.Nissan went brain dead on this, how many times do you push the brake and clutch pedal in and out

The rubber wears out.The bolt will out live both of us and everyone  has one in there bucket can.As you seen it in the picture ,plastic is gone and guy said ,where this come from.The switch  will stop at the bolt. Cant come out.Use stainless steel.Try it and see.You can go 4x4ing and bolt won't come out,don't need a nut on the end.

It may wear out, but it takes 15 years and then you buy a new one from McMaster-Carr for a few bucks.