Any other motorcycle enthusiasts here?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

So the machine shop I have been using lately has the second built Captain America chopper. Anyone here know that story? Or even know of the bike?

I have pics. I'll upload them later.

There's one over here in Norway too, or at least they claim it to be a genuine one. Been for sale multiple times for an whole lot of money but has never been sold...

Anyways... Here's my bike project if anyones interested:

It's a 1977 GS750 with a gsx1100 engine, stiffened/reinforced frame, sv1000s front end, bandit 1200 rear end.

100hp, 200kg. Decent ripper 😄

IMG_20211031_163446698_PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Spiff said:

There's one over here in Norway too, or at least they claim it to be a genuine one. Been for sale multiple times for an whole lot of money but has never been sold...

Anyways... Here's my bike project if anyones interested:

It's a 1977 GS750 with a gsx1100 engine, stiffened/reinforced frame, sv1000s front end, bandit 1200 rear end.

100hp, 200kg. Decent ripper 😄

IMG_20211031_163446698_PORTRAIT.jpg

Pretty dang cool.

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was never a Harley guy, but I wouldn't mind having a classic Harley

Same here, but after doing some research on the Street 750, this might be my first one. It is the most un-Harley Harley ever sold, except for maybe the Livewire...  😁

2a96f25c5f2c7d013f30a01ed43694d5.jpg

483def67fad75d7b96bfe1ce1ee06eda.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
34 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Same here, but after doing some research on the Street 750, this might be my first one. It is the most un-Harley Harley ever sold, except for maybe the Livewire...  😁

I've always wanted a Harley XR750. I mean ALWAYS, since I was young, but that isn't really a Harley either. Imagine making one of these street legal!

image.png.6878da334231e4aed0bf1d8c42f51710.png

• Like 2

Shame they didn't do more with the 750 platform, that could have been their ticket to success in Europe I think. Smaller, cheaper bikes that cater to a younger audience. I mean, I'm not a Harley guy, never been, but the street 750 and the bronx(had they ever released it) could have turned me.

• Like 2
On 8/13/2024 at 10:22 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

So the machine shop I have been using lately has the second built Captain America chopper. Anyone here know that story? Or even know of the bike?

Peter Fonda’s bike in the movie Easy Rider.
Lot of controversy around the bike. Who built them, were there two originally made for the movie or four?

They sell for huge money.
I always liked Billy’s (Dennis Hopper) bike. Much better handling with more traditional chopper lines. 
Captain America had 16” over front forks and raked triple trees. You can see some of the ill handling trates if you watch closely in the movie. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Spiff said:

Shame they didn't do more with the 750 platform, that could have been their ticket to success in Europe I think. Smaller, cheaper bikes that cater to a younger audience.

I think they are hoping that since the Street 500/750 (and Street Rod) didn't do that, that the new X440 will do it. I have my doubts, espeically since they have no plans to sell the X440 in the US, only everywhere else...

2023_harley_davidson_X440_25_2.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, RLJ said:

Peter Fonda’s bike in the movie Easy Rider.
Lot of controversy around the bike. Who built them, were there two originally made for the movie or four?

They sell for huge money.
I always liked Billy’s (Dennis Hopper) bike. Much better handling with more traditional chopper lines. 
Captain America had 16” over front forks and raked triple trees. You can see some of the ill handling trates if you watch closely in the movie. 

Not to mention, no front brake.

There are three or four stories as to what happened to the movie bikes. All of them claim to be accurate tellings, and all of them are different.

The guy in Grass Valley, with the machine shop, has a legit story to back up his claim of "second built". Something to the effect of it being a back-up and was never used in the filming...

Did you guys ever hear the story of the two Jag E-Type lightweights with the same serial number? One went to auction and rumors of another one started to circulate. The owner of the other one appeared crying "FAKE". The case eventually went to court where it was discovered that the car being offered for sale was the continuation car, the one that continued to race, while the other car was built from original parts that were changed out and discarded, then collected and restored into the "original" car. Even the judge in the case could not decide. What happened? The one guy bought the other car so he owned both of them. Putting the matter to rest.

There is a good article written by a lawyer who has handled many of these cases - https://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns/legal-files/dual-identity-cars

So which is the real Captain America? I'm sure the original is out there somewhere, even though it was stolen, someone has to have found it by now.

• Like 1

That’s interesting. The Riebes in Placerville has a collection of old Rupp and Bonanza mini bikes. Ones with suspension and bigger wheels. Don’t remember seeing any with the Hodaka motorcycle engine. That one was my dream mini bike as a kid. 

On 8/18/2024 at 5:57 PM, RLJ said:

That’s interesting. The Riebes in Placerville has a collection of old Rupp and Bonanza mini bikes. Ones with suspension and bigger wheels. Don’t remember seeing any with the Hodaka motorcycle engine. That one was my dream mini bike as a kid. 

Bart Riebe, the founder, stocks his stores with his collection of go-karts, dirt bikes, Whizzers, Evinrude boat motors, dirt trackers. He has some really cool stuff.

On 8/14/2024 at 10:11 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Speaking of Harleys, ok this one isn't really a Harley, but it sold for $11 million - https://www.hotcars.com/neiman-marcus-limited-edition-fighter-facts/

image.png.4473945d0f7fd10271d775e04f7667c9.png

I normally don't comment too much on stuff like this, but the seller obviously found someone (like maybe a Saudi oil sheik) that has more money then they know what to do with.  That bike is really cool. but 11 million cool?

• Like 2
On 8/13/2024 at 10:22 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I just saw this headline earlier in the week.  Apparently, a documented original bike used in the movie was restored and going up for sale or auction.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/easy-rider-chopper-sale/

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I normally don't comment too much on stuff like this, but the seller obviously found someone (like maybe a Saudi oil sheik) that has more money then they know what to do with.  That bike is really cool. but 11 million cool?

Not even a million cool. Maybe $250k...

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Forward controls and clip-ons? My back is sore just looking at this thing...  😄

It didn't dawn on me originally. but it looks like it's setup is for a drag racing..

Regardless of ergonomics, I think it looks pretty damn cool.  

Considering you and I are bigger guys, I know we both still like Datsun 1200's.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Considering you and I are bigger guys, I know we both still like Datsun 1200's.  🙂

It's funny, all of the bike riders I work with have asked "you are 6'3", why did you buy such a 'small' bike?" But I really dig it. And I don't think of it as small. It's not like it's a Honda Grom...

Of course they said the same shit about my 1200 Coupe, so... 

Weight is the enemy of fun. Remember that. 😁

• Like 1