1973 620 brake booster

My brake booster finally started hissing and fooling with the manifold pressure at idle. I went to Napa and Advanced Auto Parts, which is Shucks O'Reilly same distribution. Not available. Online. Rockauto, NA.

I want to get a new brake booster. Maybe send my unit to Cardone to be rebuilt for a spare or reinstall. It's worked for 51 years. Works on my 4 wheel Hitachi dics setup.

I have heard mid 1980s 720 truck boosters work. I am running a '79 L20b, but I think I would like too keep the smaller booster body. I searched for like an '85 with the smaller and it came up available. 

Has anybody swapped out a different Nissan booster?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleary! how are you?

You're sure it's not a split in the vacuum hose?

The 720 booster is gigantic. It's so big around it would hit the clutch master and the steering column below it. It would need a foot long pedestal to clear and then it would hit the intake or the air filter.

The early 620 booster is 4.5" later it was 6"

Both the 610 and 710 boosters are 6"...

Send it out for rebuild and run it. If rebuilt it will last another 51 years and you can do it again.

On 5/17/2024 at 11:02 AM, Figbuck said:

My brake booster finally started hissing and fooling with the manifold pressure at idle. I went to Napa and Advanced Auto Parts, which is Shucks O'Reilly same distribution. Not available. Online. Rockauto, NA.

I want to get a new brake booster. Maybe send my unit to Cardone to be rebuilt for a spare or reinstall. It's worked for 51 years. Works on my 4 wheel Hitachi dics setup.

I have heard mid 1980s 720 truck boosters work. I am running a '79 L20b, but I think I would like too keep the smaller booster body. I searched for like an '85 with the smaller and it came up available. 

Has anybody swapped out a different Nissan booster?

Do not send it to Cardone. They do crap rebuilds.

Send it to Power Brake Sales in Sacramento. They do good work (paint sucks, but you can ask them not to paint it) and the cost is usually around $120.

That is ten times better!  I kin see Sac from here! Haha, not really. Texas? Shit. Ain't that like South of Bakersfield, somewhere in hell an gone?

I'm looking for a used core or working one to send off. It's not easy to thrash on the old Datsun in service as daily driver. Haha. 

• Like 1