Exhaust manifolds!

Hi! I know all A series manifolds are interchangeable,

(except for something chassis-specific like the Tomei B310 setup [4-1 fat collector really close to the bulkhead]),

but I was perusing around online and noticed the LD20 4-pot exhaust manifold.

It looks strikingly similar to an A series GX-style manifold (4-2 setup w/ 2-1 in the downpipe)

This is mostly a random crapshoot because it seems really hard to find an affordable aftermarket solution.

Looking forward to hear more!

TYIA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My main goal is to get a replacement manifold that won't have a carb stove (in favor of the twin Weber setup I'd like to run some day) and preferably some manner of equal lengths for better flow. 

Yeah, I could just do some sort of block-off deal with it, but I'd prefer to clean up that side of the engine bay as much as possible and potentially improve exhaust gas extraction from my lil A14 with a nice header (or equivalent) setup.

Long story short, does anyone have a 4-pot L series manifold gasket I could compare to my A series one? (I may just get a gasket off rockauto to compare them myself but I'd wager someone else has done this before)

That LD20 manifold (I looked at one on ebay) does look a lot like the gas L-series engine version.  No personal idea what commonality the gas and diesel versions share though.  I don't have much experience with A series engines myself, but have a friend who has many.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 9:03 AM, ToastyBass said:

Hi! I know all A series manifolds are interchangeable,

(except for something chassis-specific like the Tomei B310 setup [4-1 fat collector really close to the bulkhead]),

but I was perusing around online and noticed the LD20 4-pot exhaust manifold.

It looks strikingly similar to an A series GX-style manifold (4-2 setup w/ 2-1 in the downpipe)

This is mostly a random crapshoot because it seems really hard to find an affordable aftermarket solution.

Looking forward to hear more!

TYIA

Some have joined intake/exhaust, some don't including many of the later 210 style exhaust manifolds (think post '81). 

Whether the center is merged or not is also variable as they came in both formats.

25593.jpg

Nothing L or LD series is even close in size.

However, short of racing, any kind of aftermarket header is not really going to be better than the stock cast iron A series manifold and will have several downsides.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Exhaust_Manifold#A12_GX

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Intake_Manifold

Note: Not all A series INTAKE manifolds are interchangeable.

Not even close actually. A12 manifolds use a completely different bolt pattern than A13/A14/A15/A12A.

Also, some later 210 era A14s (and some other variants) have a wet intake manifold with water passages in the intake whereas most are dry.

982.jpg

Edited by Dguy210

Noted, thanks Dguy!

I've been up and down the same article on Datsun1200 about exhaust, my main goal was to see if I could remove the carb stove system in favor of a twin DCOE setup..

Adding a 4-2 manifold would've been an added bonus.

It might work as a nice place to mount an anti-vibration support later on. (The Weber Bible brings up mounting to the block, I believe)

Can you weld? Build a header! The two hard parts of building a header are making the flanges and fitting the tubes together at the collector. Other than that, it's a time honored method of getting rid of cast manifolds.

I built this one for my race car last fall.

20230826_090558.jpg?width=960&height=720

Sprite_Racer_11_Small_070.jpg?width=960&

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
On 4/5/2024 at 3:16 PM, ToastyBass said:

Noted, thanks Dguy!

I've been up and down the same article on Datsun1200 about exhaust, my main goal was to see if I could remove the carb stove system in favor of a twin DCOE setup..

Adding a 4-2 manifold would've been an added bonus.

It might work as a nice place to mount an anti-vibration support later on. (The Weber Bible brings up mounting to the block, I believe)

The non-carb stove that are available are mostly 310/vanette stuff, about $200 on ebay but all the ones I saw where merged center. Headers for an A series run about $250 out of AUS. 

I'm a bit of a cheap bastard so I'd probably just use the stove one and block it off as it is unlikely to really affect performance.