Where is my brake fluid?

Tommy Dat

If it's not one thing- it's another.... right?
trying to get my 1980 720 back on the road. I have gone through the brakes and had them working fairly well. I replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes on the rear. After sitting for a few days the reservoirs in the Master Cylinder are dry but no apparent leaks/wet spots. Is it the booster/Master cylinder?
Also, are the Master Cylinder and Booster from a '79 620 interchangeable on the '80 720?
thanks
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Tommy Dat said:
If it's not one thing- it's another.... right?
trying to get my 1980 720 back on the road. I have gone through the brakes and had them working fairly well. I replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes on the rear. After sitting for a few days the reservoirs in the Master Cylinder are dry but no apparent leaks/wet spots. Is it the booster/Master cylinder?
Also, are the Master Cylinder and Booster from a '79 620 interchangeable on the '80 720?
thanks

In the booster is definitely a possibility.....

Check the firewall in the truck for wetness too....

Maybe you can pull the vacuum line off and look or smell or possibly reach in carefully... I'd Imagine it will be obvious if the brake fluid is in fact in there.....

• Like 1

Carpet may be wet.

If the brake fluid is in the booster that isn't the fault of the booster but a leaky master. Loosen the master from the booster and see if wet.

620 boosters are not the same as the '80. It may fit if everything changed as the '80 720 had basically the same braking system as the 620. Masters are the same size. Th 620 booster is smaller so may not give the same performance.

update:  thanks to All who offered suggestions,  they all were very helpful.  I did find dampness on the interior fire wall and followed it up to find a crack in the booster.  I guess I will replace the booster and Master Cylinder just to start with good components.  

thanks again

brake-booster-crack.jpg

• Like 1

I have tried AutoZone, Napa, O'Reillys, Advance, Rock Auto, and Amazon.  No one has been able to find one.  Would it be better to use a 620 model booster or will another model 720 fit?  I have read about deleting the booster but not sure how I feel about that.  thanks

The 720 brakes till '83 were the same as the '78-'79 620 except the 720 master is larger at 7/8 to the 620's 13/16. The boosters are different part numbers and the booster sits on a pedestal which may not match the 720 pedestal.

If the masters are different size almost certainly the boosters are also different. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 720 brakes till '83 were the same as the '78-'79 620 except the 720 master is larger at 7/8 to the 620's 13/16. The boosters are different part numbers and the booster sits on a pedestal which may not match the 720 pedestal.

If the masters are different size almost certainly the boosters are also different. 

thanks very much

10 hours ago, Tommy Dat said:

I have tried AutoZone, Napa, O'Reillys, Advance, Rock Auto, and Amazon.  No one has been able to find one.  Would it be better to use a 620 model booster or will another model 720 fit?  I have read about deleting the booster but not sure how I feel about that.  thanks

I found one here at Advance Auto parts for 97.99.The booster.

life time waranty.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
7 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I found one here at Advance Auto parts for 97.99.The booster.

life time waranty.

My Advance says that they are not able to order one.  What store did you find it at?  I can drive to GA and pick it up.  Thanks very much