Windshield Leak repair

IZRL

Windshield has some gaps in the gasket where it's leaking. I've done some research on leak repair and they recommend not using any kind of silicon to instead use seam sealer. But they don't specify which one. I'm going to reseal the sunroof using a roll of butyl sealing tape and was thinking of using some of that to fill in the gasket gaps on the windshield. But I've never worked with butyl and don't know if this is the best way to go about it. Any ideas on how to go about fixing these leaks? Thanks

Nuwwhyo.jpgXWIiNMP.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a little on mine.Did it 5 years ago.Works great.You can't even tell it.Don't leak.I replaced my windshield seal over 20 years ago at a Window shop.Still looks like new.My back seal is about 3 years old.Body shop that painted my truck put a new one in.Sealant works.That is a minor repair.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

I went with option B. I paid to have a shop replace the gasket. I thought about it, and I know that it was gonna bug me not knowing if moisture was still getting in after patching it myself. Was $180 including gasket and labor. Which wasn't cheap for me, but worth it for the piece of mind.

pnEOBXu.jpg

9 hours ago, IZRL said:

pnEOBXu.jpg

Believe it or not this is the new gasket, it just looks a bit dry hahaha. If you compare this pic to the pics in my initial post. You'll notice the 2 big breaks in the gasket. This one's, one single piece.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, powderfinger said:

Good luck, I had a shop replace the windshield on a 720 I used to own and the windshield never leaked until they put the new windshield and gasket on lol.

Thankfully I had the work done at a big established shop that looks to have a contract for repairing windows on city vehicles. One of the reasons i didn't go with the auto glass businesses that work out of their van. Believe me if the there are any leaks I'm taking it back to the shop stat. I have a top passenger side corner chrome trim piece that was already missing before the gasket swap, they said that if I find one, to just take the truck in and they would install it.

P.S. If anybody is looking to part ways with the passenger side top corner trim piece for the glass, let me know.