any suggestion where to find an L16-L18-L20B engine?

Ken75

Hello everyone,

looking for an L16-L18-L20B engine, condition does not matter will rebuild anyway.

Anybody any lead or suggestion? Seems to be harder to find then I anticipated.

Other engine types will not work for me, the car needs to have the original engine to pass MOT (narrow-minded Belgium).

Thanks,

Ken

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Datzenmike,

2 cars:

- 510 ('68 - 4 door), 1.6L on paper, came with an L18 when I bought it -> L16 would be ideal

- 510 ('72 - 2 door), 2.0L on paper, came with an SR20 when I bought it -> L20 would be ideal

I may get away with putting the L18 in the '72 car, and have an L16 for the '68.

Thanks,

Ken

All 510s came with L16s.

You can put anything you want in them. I prefer the larger displacement L20B myself. Visually the L16/18 are exactly the same. The L20B is the same as the L16/18 but the very top of the block is 2cm taller. Almost impossible to tell apart with a quick look but if they check the engine ID the jig is up. It's right behind the oil dip stick.

fb9yF51.jpg

On 12/20/2023 at 4:32 PM, Ken75 said:

Hello everyone,

looking for an L16-L18-L20B engine, condition does not matter will rebuild anyway.

Anybody any lead or suggestion? Seems to be harder to find then I anticipated.

Other engine types will not work for me, the car needs to have the original engine to pass MOT (narrow-minded Belgium).

Thanks,

Ken

Hey Ken.

When looking for complete engines or other major parts, I always try car-part.com first. It's a database of wrecking yards across the US. This may not work for you with freight costs, but it's worth a shot.

I was in Antwerp in June. Lovely! 

if exporting, the west coast of the USA is a good source. Oregon and Washington will be generally cheaper than California. I’m not sure where you’ll find them in Europe. South Africa would have some. 

On 12/28/2023 at 10:10 AM, Draker said:

I was in Antwerp in June. Lovely! 

if exporting, the west coast of the USA is a good source. Oregon and Washington will be generally cheaper than California. I’m not sure where you’ll find them in Europe. South Africa would have some. 

Hope you had a great time here in Antwerp - I live in the city myself at 15min walking distance from the cathedral. Anything closer was too expensive LOL

Thanks for the suggestions

Ken

On 1/3/2024 at 6:50 PM, iceman510 said:

I  have some L16s I would give you if interested.  When and where is the container shipping?

Hi Iceman,

brilliant if you would have 2 spare engines! condition not that important, will rebuild anyway.

I'd be glad and insist to pay for them 🙂

Container would leave end of February at earliest, but flexible to delay if that allows extra parts to be loaded.

Port will be Jacksonville, car and parts will be centralised in Lake Worth (FL) prior to shipping.

Will PM you ASAP

Thanks,

Ken

I visited Belgium many decades ago.  I don't recall stopping at Antwerp but did pass through going from  Brussels to Amsterdam.  I loved Flanders and spent some good times in Bruges.   I recall mussels in Brussels (and a very officious police officer at one of the tram stations).  

Replied to your pm.

Edited by iceman510
  • 1 month later...
On 1/3/2024 at 11:50 AM, iceman510 said:

I  have some L16s I would give you if interested.  When and where is the container shipping?

You don’t still happen to have any l16 s lying around? Maybe a 4speed manual transmission too? 

I just picked up a 1969 521 for cheap and found out it has a v6 Chevy in it lol. Kinda wanna go original ish with the build.