Adding AMR500 super charger to J1300 motor

redshotrods

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter, every application is a custom set up. First Thing is... stock hypereutectic pistons won't take much over 6-8 PSI boost, perhaps a very quick buzz to 10 but not held for any time. Eight PSI is just over one half bar so expect 50% more power from your J13. On a good day just over 65 HP so almost 100 hp. However you will have to subtract the power used to spin the turbo from this.

An SC is never going to reduce engine wear. Never going to reduce emissions specially NOX. Absolutely NEVER going to reduce fuel consumption. Now that's out of the way, should be a fun project.

How much air does it displace per revolution????? 'AMR 500 super charger'... 500? half a liter??? I'm guessing? every two turns of the J13 used 1.3 liters of displacement. The AMR500 would displace 1 liter so it's going to need to spin much faster than that.  Using a 2 to 1 ratio pulley it would displace 2 liters of air into a 1.3 liter engine. This would deliver close to 54% more air or just about 7.9 PSI. (theoretically) It should survive that. Again I'm assuming 0.5 liters displacement, could be more?

With more that this power it's going to make a lot more heat and like a nitrous engine the rings can get so hot the end gap closes and they break or break the very brittle piston.

Probably run a colder plug, retard the ignition timing and a higher octane gas. Larger rad because more heat made.

4 hours ago, redshotrods said:

I have been researching the AMR 500 super charger on Amazon, seen several instances of these being installed on stock 1600 duel port vw motors. They show a 35-40 hp increase on a stock motor. 

Has anyone installed one on a Datsun motor? 

I think I have seen it ... but maybe only once or twice actually done...

Mostly it's just talked about.....

Again IF 500cc you would need to spin it 3 to 1 on an L20B to get 50% more air and 7.5 PSI. At 6k the AMR is going 18K a bit above it's rated 14-16K .

Will a J13 Hitachi carb take forced air?

What will happen when above 3 PSI and the fuel pump can't push the fuel in?

On 11/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, datzenmike said:

No matter, every application is a custom set up. First Thing is... stock hypereutectic pistons won't take much over 6-8 PSI boost, perhaps a very quick buzz to 10 but not held for any time. Eight PSI is just over one half bar so expect 50% more power from your J13. On a good day just over 65 HP so almost 100 hp. However you will have to subtract the power used to spin the turbo from this.

An SC is never going to reduce engine wear. Never going to reduce emissions specially NOX. Absolutely NEVER going to reduce fuel consumption. Now that's out of the way, should be a fun project.

How much air does it displace per revolution????? 'AMR 500 super charger'... 500? half a liter??? I'm guessing? every two turns of the J13 used 1.3 liters of displacement. The AMR500 would displace 1 liter so it's going to need to spin much faster than that.  Using a 2 to 1 ratio pulley it would displace 2 liters of air into a 1.3 liter engine. This would deliver close to 54% more air or just about 7.9 PSI. (theoretically) It should survive that. Again I'm assuming 0.5 liters displacement, could be more?

With more that this power it's going to make a lot more heat and like a nitrous engine the rings can get so hot the end gap closes and they break or break the very brittle piston.

Probably run a colder plug, retard the ignition timing and a higher octane gas. Larger rad because more heat made.

I wonder how many people who start a custom engine build understand what the word "tuning" actually means. To tune an engine with dual carbs, there is a large community of resources. Step outside the box of convention, and you are on your own. One could spend dozens or even hundreds of hours tuning around an inexpensive mod.

FWIW - British car guys use their fair allotment of AMR superchargers. If you guys want real info on what goes into an AMR swap, check out one of the British car forums like ahexp.com or mgexp.com.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, redshotrods said:

I have been researching the AMR 500 super charger on Amazon, seen several instances of these being installed on stock 1600 duel port vw motors. They show a 35-40 hp increase on a stock motor. 

Has anyone installed one on a Datsun motor? 

@redshotrods - you wouldn't happen to be the "red" who sold me a '57 Chevy truck, would you? The red who bought my '58 Apache?

I’ve also dreamed many times of installing the ARM charger on my Datsun 1200 Ute.  Just a few more ponies would be nice.  Having done 3 turbo L motors from scratch and many many motor swaps.  I can’t help but think time and money would be better spent just swapping in a motor with more power.  But damn forced induction is the best!  Just be prepared to swap busted pistons. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

That's a problem with boost, you develop a tolerance to the thrill and then drive with it on all the time. So what to do? turn it up of course but once over 6-8 PSI the at least 50% more heat generated can't be shed fast enough by the piston, the rings expand and close the ring gap and they and/or the piston breaks. On stock pistons and ring gap keep it low.

If you want it to last and go higher you have to pay for it... 

Forged pistons.

Opening ring gap

Oil squirters

Ceramic coatings of piston tops and combustion chambers.

Water/alcohol injection.

I currently have 11 hot rods and have a pro tuner. From what I've read they only put out 3lbs of boost. Not alot but would people trip on an old ride with a small super charger. Some people take this way to seriously, I enjoy doing stuff no one thinks about. 

Enjoy life and stop being so serious!

• Like 2

I wonder if you could just dial a little static timing out and get away with it? I boosted a stock L20 with the pollution port head.  6psi and it was faster then a dual cam KA in the same car.  I’m just not sure the easiest way to do fuel?  Maybe just mount the carb on top of the super charger?  I want to see you build the setup!  You could do an intercooler also if you wanted.   

• Like 1

Pressure depends on the AMR's displacement (how much air does it displace per turn) the displacement of the engine used on and the pulley ratio.

Four stroke engines have to turn twice to fully use their total displacement. If the AMR 500 is a half liter (500cc) per turn then a 2:1 ratio pulley will see it turn 4 times for 2 turns of the J13 engine amounting to 2 liters (500 X 4) of air pushed out. That's 2,000 cc of air for a 1,300 cc engine or 53% more air than needed. Ambient sea level air pressure is 14.7 PSI and 53% of that is 7.791 PSI as soon as the pedal is floored at any RPM. Assuming you rev to 6,000 then the AMR is turning 12,000 and well within the published limit of 14,000?

NOTE

This assumes that it displaces 500cc... I don't know this.

Several car makers have run 6-8 PSI boost (Chrysler 2.2 and Ford 2.3) with turbos on hypereutectic pistons and they survived quite well.

3 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

I wonder if you could just dial a little static timing out and get away with it? I boosted a stock L20 with the pollution port head.  6psi and it was faster then a dual cam KA in the same car.  I’m just not sure the easiest way to do fuel?  Maybe just mount the carb on top of the super charger?  I want to see you build the setup!  You could do an intercooler also if you wanted.   

Draw through would be easiest. Would work on the stock fuel pump pressure. Run larger secondary jet so it's richer when floored.

Blow through more difficult but you could run inter cooler.

• Like 1

That's what I'm trying to figure out, the one I seen had a inner cooler and snorkel ontop the carb. I dont think the amr500 moves enough air for this. 

I've also seen them build a snorkel directly to the intake and stack the carb ontop. This seems to be the best method. This is also how the vw do it. 

The problem with a snorkel on the car as I understand it.  The pressure you put into the carb pushes against the incoming fuel and can cause issue.  I did the setup where you put the carb in a box.  You still need to do a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.   If the box has 10psi in it to get the 3psi to the carb you need 14psi of fuel pressure.   I’m excited to see what you do.  

https://hydemotorworks.com/shop/product/amr-500-supercharger/

Says the AMR 500 displaces 500cc per revolution. So with a 2 to 1 ratio pulley every two full turns of your J13 will jam 2,000 cc of air into 1,300cc of engine producing a boost pressure of 7.79 PSI. It'll work!!!

20 hours ago, redshotrods said:

I currently have 11 hot rods and have a pro tuner. From what I've read they only put out 3lbs of boost. Not alot but would people trip on an old ride with a small super charger. Some people take this way to seriously, I enjoy doing stuff no one thinks about. 

Enjoy life and stop being so serious!

@redshotrods - you wouldn't happen to be the "red" who sold me a '57 Chevy truck, would you? The red who bought my '58 Apache?

• 4 months later...