Y44 v8

Adam Garrison

I have a 1978 280Z someone put a late 60's early 70's y44 V8 out of a boat in it. Is there a market for the engine here I'm having trouble finding parts for it. It runs has a timing issue I'm working on. I've been thinking about letting it go and putting an LS in the car for dependability.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Adam Garrison said:

I have a 1978 280Z someone put a late 60's early 70's y44 V8 out of a boat in it. Is there a market for the engine here I'm having trouble finding parts for it. It runs has a timing issue I'm working on. I've been thinking about letting it go and putting an LS in the car for dependability.

I think you answered your own question..... you already have room for a v8 why not make it reliable with an LS..... I wouldn't even debate it personally..... 

This is the Y44 from Nissan??? I noticed a LOT of similarities between the Nissan Y44 and the old Ford Y blocks, like cylinder spacing crankshaft journal sizes, rod lengths and such. My suspicion is that Nissan bought the Y block from Ford in the '60s but can't find any info on this. IIRC Ford stopped production just as Nissan began. Have a look at Ford for parts.

The Paul Newman 280ZX racing car used this engine, though I suspect they used a Ford instead of an actual Nissan unit. I've been dying to find one of these motors to use in a vintage race car myself.

There was the "Prince" limo V8 that is very similar, and people get them confused. Come to think of it, maybe that's what Electramotive installed in the 280ZX. Now I'm confused...

The best person to ask would be Adam Carolla. I think he owns that car.

• Like 1