1971 Datsun 521

Draven521

21 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

cuts out when give gas i??

maybe  acell pump on side of carb.  Is gas squirting in when you push or cycle the pedal? If yes you see a squirt then accel pump is good.

timing could be off. OK at idle then goes out of time. Most times this can happen when somebody rebuilds the motor and puts the oil pump dist in off a tooth.  Im not there to see Im only guessing from afar. if distributor is cranked to one side to get say 10degs this could be it.

Hoses replaced ,dont mean there is junk in the tank. 521s have a habit of rusting the tank as water gets passed the fuel hose then rots the tank from inside.My 521 the prevois owner said the gas gauge would actually rise when raining. Your in San Antonio which maybe be highly unlikely but couls happen. Also the dirt builds but there also on the brake line and would ck for rust there also where fuel lfiller goes to the tank.

I had a 510 that a tiny rock block the main jet my 32/36. run at idle but give it gas would cut out. I pulled the choke on and got home that way.also a weak alternator might do this also. when a load would come on it would cut out.example heater Lights. 

also my 510 I had a capcitor that was bad and above idle that would cut out. But got rid of my points for a a Pertronix, But even that dist wore out when the bushing or springs on the weight inside the dist.

If you can idle the mixture is good for now

Yes,Vid wasnt a tear down persay but on how to do timing chains and oil pump installs as most motors are LOST right here when newer people make a first attempt.Mostly new kids getting 510s/521/ 620s

I watched that video 3 days straight 😂

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

A good battery will read about 12.6 v.

Hey Mike and hainz if you read this. Got a new battery now it’s cranking over just fine. Still no luck turning over but some things I’ve noticed was the carb poofs and throws out a white smoke and what I assume is mist of gas. My ballast resistor is reading the same voltage as my battery, don’t know if that’s normal. The positive end of my coil however is not reading that at all, it’s a lot lower. Bad coil? I’m almost certain things are wired properly to it but if yall can shine some light on the wiring to my coil just to verify 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

Hey Mike and hainz if you read this. Got a new battery now it’s cranking over just fine. Still no luck turning over but some things I’ve noticed was the carb poofs and throws out a white smoke and what I assume is mist of gas. My ballast resistor is reading the same voltage as my battery, don’t know if that’s normal. The positive end of my coil however is not reading that at all, it’s a lot lower. Bad coil? I’m almost certain things are wired properly to it but if yall can shine some light on the wiring to my coil just to verify 

Hainz explained this....

13 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

when you have a new battery and you measure your coil at the +side coil you will get only like 6-9 volts if I remember right. cause your going thru the ballast resisitor.

Measure at the Black white wire going into the ballast resisitor. this will read the battery voltage.  But right at start everything drops. there will be a bypass wire at the +coil or a jumper into the connector for 2 wires. this is the bypass during start.  I will assume you didnt fuck with it...

....I never lay on the starter more that 10 secs. If motor is timed and correct once the gas gets t the carb it should fire off.

21 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

When I crank it, engine turns than stops than turns again 

This could be the timing advanced too much but if you haven't messed with the distributor then not likely.

Poor starter connection not allowing full current to the starter. Same as low battery.

Every turn of the engine there are two compression and firing strokes. The starter should easily push through these and not slow down.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Hainz explained this....

This could be the timing advanced too much but if you haven't messed with the distributor then not likely.

Poor starter connection not allowing full current to the starter. Same as low battery.

Every turn of the engine there are two compression and firing strokes. The starter should easily push through these and not slow down.

Hey Mike, my red connector on my battery gets hot, is that a problem?

Mike he said he put another distributor in I beleve.

Draven loosen the 10mm bolt holding the dist down on the timing plate and turn left or right and see if it fires. Really you need to see if plug 1 is on TDC on firing stroke and points are opening closing. (condensor is hooked up)

Battery connection may get hot is over doing the starting.

LikeI aid before the voltage at the coil will be LESS than the battery as your going thru the ballast.  One side ballast with key on will read battery voltage the other side will be less, and same at the coil as its really hooked up together

521drawingelectrical.bmp

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Draven521 said:

Hey Mike, my red connector on my battery gets hot, is that a problem?

This can also be poor connection. Current forced through resistance generates heat. Clean posts and clamps. Some after market clamps are trash.

This type and similar are the worst...

30797.webp.c79deba0919b3f4c5a20dd02be127519.webp

These are better but should be crimped and then soldered...

2Pairs.thumb.webp.34ca808a7c01d8c96b90d43a1e2bccfa.webp

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Clarification - did it run at all before? Did you make adjustments to the timing, have the oil pump out, or the timing chain off the cam?

Ir ran for 45 minutes and cut off because I ran out of gas. After than wasn’t able to get it going again. Didn’t make any adjustments to timing. Oil pump hasn’t been removed and haven’t taken the chain off. I’ve been kind of scared to mess with that. I’ve watched hainz videos repeatedly and the only thing I’m struggling to understand is if it’s advanced or retared how do I get it back to good timing ?

20 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

r ran for 45 minutes and cut off because I ran out of gas. After than wasn’t able to get it going again. Didn’t make any adjustments to timing. Oil pump hasn’t been removed and haven’t taken the chain off. I’ve been kind of scared to mess with that.

OK that good to know. was running with this set up and just stopped.IF NOTHING WAS SWAPPED OUT  then  check for spark/fuel. again.

also you said it idle then would cut out giving it gas.

26 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

OK that good to know. was running with this set up and just stopped.IF NOTHING WAS SWAPPED OUT  then  check for spark/fuel. again.

also you said it idle then would cut out giving it gas

sooooo good news I guess lol, I was watching hainz video and he mentions the firing order for the dist. And it looks like my firing order wasn’t right. Switched the wires to the correct order and now it’s firing up. Stayed on for a few seconds than cut off so now I think we can say it’s probably fuel related. Maybe my mixture?

4 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

sooooo good news I guess lol, I was watching hainz video and he mentions the firing order for the dist. And it looks like my firing order wasn’t right. Switched the wires to the correct order and now it’s firing up. Stayed on for a few seconds than cut off so now I think we can say it’s probably fuel related. Maybe my mixture?

It turn over and a poof from the carb happens and cuts it off. Any idea what this may be? I appreciate all the help. You guys are amazing and better than a local mechanic 😭

40 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

also you said it idle then would cut out giving it gas.

It turns over almost immediately now🥹 I just need to resolve the idle and gas situation. But yes sir it would cut off when I gave it gas

9 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

turn the distributor left or right and cycle the gas to keep it running then see if it idles

sorry just wanna be sure I give details to make sure nothing else is wrong. It’s a low RPM turn over. Also no longer hear the ticking like before 

4 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

is this the newer or other distributor before you swapped it?????? was the rotor point exactly in the same spot?

to me its not timed perfectly .  take the 10mm bolt out and move it more to one side then try the other way, if good it should fire off in 3 to 5 secs.

if gas squirts in the carb  when you cycle most likely carb good

It’s a new dist. I have the original one still. The new dist is the one with the dual points. If I’m being honest I didn’t pay attention to the  original direction of the old dist and I’m sure my timing may be off. I still have to check it. As of now it is firing within the 3-5 second range and I’m assuming carb is good just needs some adjustment. It’s raining in south Texas so it’s on hold til it stops. I will keep you updated though hainz. 

9 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

is this the newer or other distributor before you swapped it?????? was the rotor point exactly in the same spot?

to me its not timed perfectly .  take the 10mm bolt out and move it more to one side then try the other way, if good it should fire off in 3 to 5 secs.

if gas squirts in the carb  when you cycle most likely carb good

I’m going to pull the dist out here in a bit to see if the oil pump thingy is at 11/28. That’s correct right 11/28? That’s what I’m understanding from watching your videos 

at TDC as photo shows.  On 521 L16 its the BIG notch

install the dist and where the rorotr points close to . that plug wire will be number 1 and go CCW fore order 1 3 4 2.

take photos before after then dist install cap ect...

I just think your off on the dist a little cause you swapped it out andmaybe you put the timing plate that goes under the dist off a little. But I said undo the 10mm bolt and turning the dist will be the same as moving the dist shaft.

oilpumpspindal.bmp

1 hour ago, Draven521 said:

I’m going to pull the dist out here in a bit to see if the oil pump thingy is at 11/28.

really you dont have to do that just put on TDC on the crank and pop th cap and see where it points ,in relation to the plug wire. is it close?

start taking photos as Im going tog give up soon

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

really you dont have to do that just put on TDC on the crank and pop th cap and see where it points ,in relation to the plug wire. is it close?

start taking photos as Im going tog give up soon

You got me pretty far, I’m doing all that you’re saying I promise. I don’t know how to upload photos on here so if you can tell me how to do that than I can share everything with y’all