1971 Datsun 521

Draven521

On 10/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

really you dont have to do that just put on TDC on the crank and pop th cap and see where it points ,in relation to the plug wire. is it close?

start taking photos as Im going tog give up soon

Hey hainz, so finally got to work on the truck after all the rain has passed. I’m definitely timed and I paid very close attention to my dist when it’s at TDC and put the spark plug wires in the correct order. Loosened up the 10mm bold on the dist and gave it a little twist to the left and now it fires over almost instantly and stays idle. Still having the issue of it cutting off when I give it gas. Any clue as to what could still be causing that? Cleaned the jets and fuel lines

Edited by Draven521
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok as I repeated before does the accell pump work? you get a nice stream of gas shooting in the main barrel from the top?  yes or no.

If yes its OK.

Now do you have a timing light?

time to motor to say 10deg BTDC   which is 2 notches left of the BIG nothch on a L16 I believe.  see if you can dial it to 10deg. then see where the dist is inside of the timing plate slot. should be close to the middle. Id its cranked to one side maybe the oil pump dist is off a tooth.

Is the choke plate open or closed? hopefully the plate is fully open if warmed up if a auto choke.

Main jet on bottom of the carb could be plugged, nbut lets rule that out for now let look at EZ stuff.

If this is a weber the 2nd barrel has a spring to keep it closed so make sure the barrel is closed .It only opens when it is like 75% mechanicallinkage pushes it open. If opens PREMATURE is causes a bog.

Pictures would help or a vid. Your close and this is a simple fix

3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

ok as I repeated before does the accell pump work? you get a nice stream of gas shooting in the main barrel from the top?  yes or no.

If yes its OK.

Now do you have a timing light?

time to motor to say 10deg BTDC   which is 2 notches left of the BIG nothch on a L16 I believe.  see if you can dial it to 10deg. then see where the dist is inside of the timing plate slot. should be close to the middle. Id its cranked to one side maybe the oil pump dist is off a tooth.

Is the choke plate open or closed? hopefully the plate is fully open if warmed up if a auto choke.

Main jet on bottom of the carb could be plugged, nbut lets rule that out for now let look at EZ stuff.

If this is a weber the 2nd barrel has a spring to keep it closed so make sure the barrel is closed .It only opens when it is like 75% mechanicallinkage pushes it open. If opens PREMATURE is causes a bog.

Pictures would help or a vid. Your close and this is a simple fix

Yes it works! I can hear the squirt happening. I purchased a timing light just haven’t put it to use. I’ll put all that into play after work. I’ll also take some pictures and videos for you so you can see what’s going on. I believe with the carb the flap over the second barrel moves with the first. Now if that’s not supposed to be happening than I’ll check to see what’s going on there I appreciate all the help and will get pictures and videos up asap 

36 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

second barrel moves

the 2nd barrel should not move just by tapping on the gas.  You can see the linakge in the back or hold it closed with your finger and cyccle the linake and see if it cuts out.

But use timing light and have vid if possible with all possible issue in one  1 min vid. after too many pages we all reapeat outselves and loose intrest