Testing a pertronix set up

1lo620

On 10/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, 1lo620 said:

It may seem simple for you all but I am not a mechanic. I have explained this to Steve.and Hainz. I don't have a timing light I am struggling to statuc time it. As steve has shown me...I enjoy the custom aspect and the style of the 620s. But unfortunately I really have nit learned to work on them. I have had friends and shops do the work over the years.  So if I can't get this figured out. More than likely it will need to go to a shop. You all are mechanics and the 5he how toos and enjoy it...I do not

That being said,, the coil had no ballist resistor .. if I need to put one on how is that done. And I don't know how to adjust the pertronix distributor plate 

If you have the right coil, you don't need a ballast resistor. Buy a Pertronix coil and be done with that.

There comes a point where things simply need to be checked and verified. Guessing can and will cause damage. Ignition timing is one of those things. If you set it by ear, it could be off and cause broken piston rings or even cracked pistons.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David

If you put the pertronix in the distributor with out pulling it out of the truck that means nothing really changed just turn the dist left or right and it should be close to starting and runing

I ASSUME this is the same distributor that was in there. But most L20 point dist hav that RING BOSS above the point Lobes where the Pertronix magnet ring wont fit over it. You got to be more precise on what you did and maybe photos.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • 1 month later...

So I was thinking about the issue I'm having with getting my truck started with the pertronix. And I decided that I was going to put the original distributor back in. Since I had swapped it out with a distributor that had the pertronics already in it from another truck. So I pulled out the distributor that was in the truck right now. And then I realized that the two Distributors are different. So I pulled the pertronics off of the one went to put it on the original distributor out of the truck. And I realized it would not fit onto the distributor. The part that the rotor goes on to is too big for the magnetic part of the pertronics to fit over. So I added some pictures the blue distributor is the original distributor that had the points that I've had on that truck for over 20 years. And of course the silver one is the one that came off the old engine off another truck and I just put it into my current 620 that we're having problems starting. So now I'm at a loss again.

received_832044925068115.jpeg

received_6516388721820882.jpeg

received_905305383913486.jpeg

received_690325339725200.jpeg

• Like 1

(1)You said you had spark with the Pertronix set up I believe. so it means it works.

so its got to be timing. to the right spot.

if the pretonix dont match the screw holes to go into then your done on that dist.

the top photo with the Pertronix installed. this will work but youll hsave to pull the dist shaft off and have that ring machine off.

I dont know why (1) would not have worked  if you said you had spark