new lights now fuses blow out

I got new octane lights and they worked for a little bit then never came on a gain. the dash lights worked and the side lights but no low beam or headlights. I took the break light fuse and replaced the blown out fuse and they worked for just about 5 minutes and then it blew out too. Do I need a higher amperage? or is it some other wiring issue, thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to put in dedicated new headlight wiring with relays to give the new lights power directly from the battery/alternator.  The stock 521 wiring can not handle much draw over stock, especially considering all the current goes through the headlight switch.  Use the existing wiring to trigger relays which will connect the new lights directly to the battery.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, thisismatt said:

You need to put in dedicated new headlight wiring with relays to give the new lights power directly from the battery/alternator.  The stock 521 wiring can not handle much draw over stock, especially considering all the current goes through the headlight switch.  Use the existing wiring to trigger relays which will connect the new lights directly to the battery.

THIS.

I assume they are halogen? They draw more current than the stock tungsten filament lamps. Dedicated wiring with proper fuses will allow them to run at full brilliance. The last think you want are the lamps shutting off while driving. 

• Like 1

put  stock 521  headlamps back in. does blow fuse???? NO.     then go to H4 harness with your new lamps

if higher wattage youll need a H4 wire harness. it hooks up to the stock outer plug where the lamp is and triggers the new harness

I forget if the harness will nedd to be switchable power or ground.the later datsuns were switchable ground

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1