TheBirdistheWord

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, TheBirdistheWord said:

Machine shop that is working my z22 removed these to clean the block.  Is there a source for these or should I take his recommendation to tap and plug it with something more available?

Also, the bypass (bearing?) On the oil filter location was removed.  Source for these?

PXL_20230810_200443809.jpg

PXL_20230810_200526065.jpg

The plugs should be easily available....

Or you can do as they said tap and install npt plugs but that can be a little trick .... you'll have to drill the hole bigger and make sure they are flush or a little below the surface.....

As for the oil filter location not sure what you mean....

No bearing there....

You do need the pressure relief valve and threaded nipple for the filter....

Try searching here.....

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1982-nissan-720_pickup/engine_mechanical/cylinder_block_oil_pan.html?diagram=110_N01

These are probably what you need for the oil filter location....

Screenshot_20230906-090036_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.5843dbbb74d1d7745890ad2cb3d7b5d8.jpg

The plugs I'm not 100% sure which one you need.... so please verify the numbers before ordering.... but they have them listed.... I think this is the one you need but again not positive...

Screenshot_20230906-091225_DuckDuckGo.jpg

That's the main oil gallery plug in the front and back. I tapped and pipe plugged them both.

0oGRI1z.jpg

30zfKAq.jpg

The pressure relief ball behind the oil filter is a device to allow unfiltered oil into the engine if the filter should clog up. An extremely rare almost impossible event. Race engines remove and pipe plug it. 15241-73400 about $5

You don't actually need to drill them to get the NPT tap in. The tap will make its own larger hole. To make tapping easier, you could get a "quick tap" which is missing every other cutting tooth. They glide in and out and have less chance of galling a thread.

The bypass in the oil filter boss can also be tapped and plugged. If you're really worried about having a bypass (which you shouldn't be) you can find an oil filter with an internal bypass.

On tapping the holes - just don't go too deep. If you go too deep on the bypass hole, you run the risk of the plug falling into the main galley.