OEM Oil filter for 86 Z24

matrophy

Decided to buy an oil filter from my friendly Nissan dealer. After what seemed like way too long of hunting and pecking on their computer, they found one and brought it to me. I paid for it and left and in the back of my mind something was telling me to check that this is the correct filter for my 5/1985 720 with a carbureted Z24 given their body language and avoidance of eye contact.

The part number of the one they gave me is 1520855Y0A. Neither the outside of the package or google confirm that this is the correct oil filter but I guess it's possible that it would be correct.

Anyone have a cross-reference that confirms or not that this is the correct filter?

I'm thinking that it's supposed to be 15208W1106 based on what google says.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked it up at a Nissan site and that filter is wrong .You can go to a Nissan site and type in part number and it will say not for 85 Nissan 720.2.4The part number 15208-W1106 in

is the Nissan part for it.Go get a Wix .I use Wix's.You have to watch the Nissan Dealerships,some will jack there price way up.The Dealer here has took there web page down so you will come in and they will over charge you.The best Nissan site with the cheapest shipping is Coutresy Nissan.They are in Texas.I buy a lot from them.They have low prices.Also stay away from Fram.,Be careful and not mess up the fitting that goes to the oil sending unit.It is next to the oil filter.I always disconnect my battery cause of the alternator connections.I touched it with the filter wrench before and it sparked.I also turn the wheels out so I can get in their and get the spilt oil from the oil filter.It will get on top of the oil pan.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Tommy I don't know what 15206 is. All my filters are 15208-

15208-W1103 will work as will....

15208-80W00

15208-W1111

15208-W1116.... also fits Z22/Z20 and L series.

On my L20B a Ford 4.9 inline six, 318 Dodge and SBC filter will fit. Billions of these were made so cheaper sometimes even larger.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Tommy I don't know what 15206 is. All my filters are 15208-

15208-W1103 will work as will....

15208-80W00

15208-W1111

15208-W1116.... also fits Z22/Z20 and L series.

On my L20B a Ford 4.9 inline six, 318 Dodge and SBC filter will fit. Billions of these were made so cheaper sometimes even larger.

I wrote the wrong number but I fixed it.

It amazes me that a guy at a Nissan dealership couldn't get the right filter. That job is baby simple. I should know, I did it for 30-35 years.

15208-55Y0A fits "A", "E" motors and some others (this # used to end H8903).

15208-W1106, W1103, etc. fits practically all "L' motors.

I almost feel like I should move to OR, find what store this person works at, get hired as the manager just so I can fire him.

Most if not all Nissan catalogs are set up so that you can put in the model (720), and the base of the part # (15208) hit search and it will give you the options.

FFS.

Back then there were perhaps only 2 of oil filter bases. The screw threads are all the same but the flat rubber washers were different. I took an old filter in and went through the boxes of filters looking at the most common ones. The most common are often the cheapest and sometimes larger.  Same with air filters. I found some GM air filter that would fit the Datsun housing and it was half the price.

6 hours ago, KELMO said:

It amazes me that a guy at a Nissan dealership couldn't get the right filter. That job is baby simple. I should know, I did it for 30-35 years.

15208-55Y0A fits "A", "E" motors and some others (this # used to end H8903).

15208-W1106, W1103, etc. fits practically all "L' motors.

I almost feel like I should move to OR, find what store this person works at, get hired as the manager just so I can fire him.

Most if not all Nissan catalogs are set up so that you can put in the model (720), and the base of the part # (15208) hit search and it will give you the options.

FFS.

Haha. Kiefer (aka Queefer) Nissan, Corvallis, OR. 

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Back then there were perhaps only 2 of oil filter bases.

I started working at a Nissan dealer in '86. For all of the models in the line up for that year, this is a true statement.