Crusty320

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Crusty320 said:

Having trouble removing the brake drum on my L320 it will spin but will not move when trying to take it off I have tried soaking in penetrating oil and a pry bar but it won’t budge. Any help is welcome.

-crusty 

Its probably rusted to the hub....

Are you trying to save the drum and reuse it?

Some heat might help....

On my 521 I actually had to cut the drum off.... 

3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Actually does it move in and out at all when trying to remove?

The other thing could be a ridge on the drum trapping the pads behind it... 

Did you back off the adjusters to loosen the pads?

it doesn’t move at all and I haven’t loosed the pads I am trying to reuse the drum I just need to get in there to replace the cylinder 

5 minutes ago, Crusty320 said:

it doesn’t move at all and I haven’t loosed the pads I am trying to reuse the drum I just need to get in there to replace the cylinder 

Well first thinks first is loosen the pads.... back the adjusters off as far as you can and see what happens...

Sometimes some heavy strikes with a hammer on the face, kind of to the outside edge, can loosen things ....

Maybe some heat to start, then hit with penetrating oil in the center... sometimes the heat helps draw it into places....

I have never had good luck using the bolts to get it off.... I wouldn't recommend if trying to reuse the drum.

Yes, I believe there are two threaded holes in the drum. Put some bolts in there to help free it from the hub/axle flange.

If it's really stuck, you will need to heat it good. Just around the inner bore, where it's seated against the flange. Heat it up and give it a try. If it doesn't budge, heat it again and squirt it down with some WD40 and walk away. The lube will get into the mating surfaces as it cools.

And yes, don't forget to back off the shoe adjusters. This will help remove the drum once it is free from the flange.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well first thinks first is loosen the pads.... back the adjusters off as far as you can and see what happens...

Sometimes some heavy strikes with a hammer on the face, kind of to the outside edge, can loosen things ....

Maybe some heat to start, then hit with penetrating oil in the center... sometimes the heat helps draw it into places....

I have never had good luck using the bolts to get it off.... I wouldn't recommend if trying to reuse the drum.

So how would one find where to loosen pads