Help with Front Rotors/Hubs

Ladies and Gents..

76 B210 Sedan Coupe here and I’m having an issue with the front hub. Took it all apart and now I can’t get the rotor to separate from the hub. The rear mounted bolts came off easy enough, but its the damn thing almost appears as though it’s 1 piece. Thoughts? 

dIOLtZr.jpgob2UlHC.jpgvhbR21M.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ob2UlHC.jpg

Yes it does come apart. Clamp the hub in a vice and tap around the circumference of the rotor forcing it off to the right. If keeping the rotor avoid damaging the pad surface. Round and round and it will slowly work it's way off.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:26 AM, Signal12 said:

Ladies and Gents..

76 B210 Sedan Coupe here and I’m having an issue with the front hub. Took it all apart and now I can’t get the rotor to separate from the hub. The rear mounted bolts came off easy enough, but its the damn thing almost appears as though it’s 1 piece. Thoughts? 

dIOLtZr.jpgob2UlHC.jpgvhbR21M.jpg

Over time, rust and corrosion can cause the rotor to stick to the hub. Try using a penetrating oil or rust penetrant spray around the edges of the rotor where it meets the hub. Allow it to sit for a while to help loosen the bond. Applying gentle heat to the area where the rotor meets the hub can help expand the metal slightly, making it easier to separate the two. Be cautious not to overheat the components, as excessive heat can cause damage.

I have used two wedges between the rotor and hub to separate them. gentle tapping on the wedges will normally put enough pressure on them to get them apart.

Use penetrating oil to soak, as Nikkil suggested.  Then heat around the inner area of the ROTOR with map gas (yellow bottle, hotter than blue bottle propane).  Be careful to NOT breathe the fumes of the burning penetrating oil, as they are caustic!   Try NOT to focus flame on the hub...........you want to heat the rotor to expand it ever so slightly.  I prefer to PRESS the hub out, as beating it with a hammer CAN damage the lip of the hub.  As datzenmike suggested, use a BRASS hammer!  I have seen MANY 510 hubs beat to snot on that lip, a few damaged so badly it was scrap metal to me!

• 2 weeks later...