Odd start on 720

jagman

My truck has been running like a champ.  Several days ago it  would click  but not turn the starter occasionally.  I have checked the wiring connections- all seems to be tight.  Put a jumper on it and it fires right up.  Battery tests to 12.54 volts so the battery seems to be fully charged. What am I missing here?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most  likely solenoid.  I had that on the forklift a few years ago, took the solenoid apart and cleaned all the carbon dust  out, carefully tapped the two square head copper bolts out of the end cap, burnished them and the plunger on a wire wheel and reinstalled the bolts with the uneroded part of the head inwards.  Works like a new starter.

Jumper 12v directly from the battery to the small terminal that has the Black/Red wire on it that is the START signal from the ignition key. If it starts perfectly every time it is NOT the solenoid but a weak voltage signal from the ignition switch..

My 710 was hit or miss and the start signal was 7-8 volts. There is a fix for this weak signal

I put a jumper direct to the battery from the solenoid and got the same results. It will turn the starter about 50% of the time strongly enough to start the engine. So I would guess that the voltage from the switch is OK.  I will pull the starter/solenoid.

Alright that eliminates the ignition switch as the fault. I guess it looks like the solenoid is worn out. If you have a spare starter then this can be done with the starter in the vehicle and if not buy a new starter. Always wise to never throw old parts away. There is usually something on it of use.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Alright that eliminates the ignition switch as the fault. I guess it looks like the solenoid is worn out. If you have a spare starter then this can be done with the starter in the vehicle and if not buy a new starter. Always wise to never throw old parts away. There is usually something on it of use.

What most folks call junk, I call resources. Keep on truckin.

Gee Mike, I keep some parts in a shed others are still on the junk trucks.  I have substituted a starter with solenoid from one of the junkers. I noticed that the solenoid was at a different angle and the body of the starter larger than the original.  It fit and the solenoid easier to reach. I will test the setup today in the truck the bench test was OK.