Starter motor/solenoid

Shane nakaya

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First thing is pull the small Black/Yellow stripe wire off the starter.

Make a jumper wire from the battery positive terminal or use a remote start switch. Make sure engine is out of gear and hands clear of the fan. Touch jumper to the terminal on the starter solenoid and starter should engage and turn engine.

Starter engages every time...... the start signal from the ignition is weak.*

If multiple clicks without turning it's probably the solenoid. Pull one off an old starter, it's cheaper than a crappy new rebuilt one.

* You could replace the ignition switch or make a hot start relay that uses the weak signal to operate a relay that sends a 12v signal to the starter...

Utilizing Relays | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum 

• Like 2

I have found that rebuilt starters bought at any auto parts store have garbage solenoids likely made in China, they either click or make no noise at all, and they do not last long in my experience, I finally gave up and I put a starter type relay(made for high loads) on my firewall, I connected one end to the battery, and the other end to the power supply post to the starter motor, I then installed a button to a keyed power source, when I hit the key if it does not start turning over I press the button and it starts turning over every time.

This is my solution to the crap solenoid problems I have had on my SD25 diesel engine starter issues, the motors on them are fine, the solenoids are crap.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:46 PM, datzenmike said:

First thing is pull the small Black/Yellow stripe wire off the starter.

Make a jumper wire from the battery positive terminal or use a remote start switch. Make sure engine is out of gear and hands clear of the fan. Touch jumper to the terminal on the starter solenoid and starter should engage and turn engine.

Starter engages every time...... the start signal from the ignition is weak.*

If multiple clicks without turning it's probably the solenoid. Pull one off an old starter, it's cheaper than a crappy new rebuilt one.

* You could replace the ignition switch or make a hot start relay that uses the weak signal to operate a relay that sends a 12v signal to the starter...

Utilizing Relays | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum 

Thanks for the info. my goal would be for the engine to turn over and crank every time just by the key. Currently when I turn the key it will either crank or it will just click. When you say pull an old starter off of another motor, would you be able to get one off of any car or is there specific cars I should be looking for?

I said pull the solenoid off an old starter but if you don't have a spare laying around try a wrecking yard. (never throw old parts away) The thing is, is that I suspect a low start signal voltage so check that first with a meter as a brand new $tarter will do the same and not fix the problem.

shane

take a kinda thick wire.

go from the +side battery  remove the wire that goes to the selinoid(the flat blade connector)

put gear in Nuetral.

Now take the 12volt wire from the battery and put it on the starter where the wire you just removed it it cranks over everytime then the keyswitch has a low voltage issue. the way to fix it is add a relay as mike has mentioned.

starter relay.png

I'd have the original repaired. I just did a quick google search for "boise ID alternator repair" and found a couple shops in your area that will rebuild starters and alternators.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=boise+idaho+alternator+rebuild+service

On 6/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

shane

take a kinda thick wire.

go from the +side battery  remove the wire that goes to the selinoid(the flat blade connector)

put gear in Nuetral.

Now take the 12volt wire from the battery and put it on the starter where the wire you just removed it it cranks over everytime then the keyswitch has a low voltage issue. the way to fix it is add a relay as mike has mentioned.

starter relay.png

I tested voltage on starter and it is fluctuating from as low as 3 volts all the way to around 12 volts. Is this what you mean by a low voltage issue?

Yup a combination of old ignition contacts, old small gauge wiring and connectors. If you want you can replace the ignition switch but it could still be the wiring. Doesn't take much voltage to work a relay. Touching a grounded test lamp will trigger them. Both my 620 and the 710 I have now suffered from intermittent starter engagements. I had a pile of old original starters so I just changed it. Problem didn't go away so I looked at the start signal. 

The relays from '80s Nissan vehicles are easy to get from wrecking yards, cut the wires long. There are even screw on clips to mount to the body and hold them in place. The wiring is stamped into the outside plastic cover and there are 3 or 4 different styles. DPDT, DPST, SPDT..... or you can buy them from NAPA etc.

GM2WrIz.jpg

eU6ivAs.jpg

Looks like blue is the one you want...

A5g3958.jpg

1 to start signal from ignition, 2 to ground

3 to battery positive (best to use a fuse in line, and 5 to starter solenoid.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yup a combination of old ignition contacts, old small gauge wiring and connectors. If you want you can replace the ignition switch but it could still be the wiring. Doesn't take much voltage to work a relay. Touching a grounded test lamp will trigger them. Both my 620 and the 710 I have now suffered from intermittent starter engagements. I had a pile of old original starters so I just changed it. Problem didn't go away so I looked at the start signal. 

The relays from '80s Nissan vehicles are easy to get from wrecking yards, cut the wires long. There are even screw on clips to mount to the body and hold them in place. The wiring is stamped into the outside plastic cover and there are 3 or 4 different styles. DPDT, DPST, SPDT..... or you can buy them from NAPA etc.

GM2WrIz.jpg

eU6ivAs.jpg

Looks like blue is the one you want...

A5g3958.jpg

1 to start signal from ignition, 2 to ground

3 to battery positive (best to use a fuse in line, and 5 to starter solenoid.

Sweet thanks for info!