Oil pan

edekalil

I believe I have this right from my way back reading. When using a L20b in a 510 you replace the L20b oil pan with a L16 oil pan, is there anything else like the oil pickup tube that needs to be switched as well?

This is a pick of what I believe is the oli pan off the L20b

Compress_20230604_135108_8845.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

L16 oil pan, L16 oil pick up tube. 

There are two L16 pans..........one has the oil drain at the rear, the other has the oil drain on the side like the pic.  One is simply early, one is late.  These interchange.

The key is that you need a "big notch" across the back of the sump, to clear the steering center link rod.  Your pic looks correct to me, but I can't say for sure!  I have an L20B pan that I just pulled off of a 1977 620 L20B..............the back of the sump is FLAT or square, no "notch", so no clearance for the 510 steering linkage center link rod.

7 minutes ago, yenpit said:

There are two L16 pans..........one has the oil drain at the rear, the other has the oil drain on the side like the pic.  One is simply early, one is late.  These interchange.

The key is that you need a "big notch" across the back of the sump, to clear the steering center link rod.  Your pic looks correct to me, but I can't say for sure!  I have an L20B pan that I just pulled off of a 1977 620 L20B..............the back of the sump is FLAT or square, no "notch", so no clearance for the 510 steering linkage center link rod.

Thanks I just did a search and I need a L16 oil pan and oil pickup tube. I believe the pan in my pic cam off the L20b I have it looks different then the ones on my 510's. I have two motors on the floor out of cars but I hate to use there parts cause they ran when I took them out . I guess I'll be in the market for a L16 oil pan and pickup tube. I guess I should have thought it this 26 years ago when I started this and my guitar plaing buddy's junkyard was like a old Datsun heaven to go to.

Mine look like this one on the Goon.

Compress_20230604_141644_4371.jpg

Edited by edekalil

Interesting subject as I was just looking at some of mine over the weekend. 

Ed- do you know what the L20B came from?  That pan looks like it might work on a 510.  It seems the front end of that pan bottom surface is a little rounder.  I have one that looks like that (it is definitely different on the inside) that I bought being told it was a 510 pan, but it is definitely different from my known L16 pans.

TJ- thanks for the comments on the drain plug orientation.  I have a couple pans of each version and was wondering of they are all interchangeable (rest of the pans do seem the same).  Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure the rounded (assuming L20B)oil pan should still work on a 510. The white 510 I bought came with an L20B and it had that pan on it. I don’t recall any drag link interference issues. But still yes every pan has to match the correct sump as well. 

• Like 1
On 6/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, iceman510 said:

Interesting subject as I was just looking at some of mine over the weekend. 

Ed- do you know what the L20B came from?  That pan looks like it might work on a 510.  It seems the front end of that pan bottom surface is a little rounder.  I have one that looks like that (it is definitely different on the inside) that I bought being told it was a 510 pan, but it is definitely different from my known L16 pans.

TJ- thanks for the comments on the drain plug orientation.  I have a couple pans of each version and was wondering of they are all interchangeable (rest of the pans do seem the same).  Thanks for clearing that up.

You know I looked at the picks that yenpit sent and I thought the same. The pan I have may have been on the l20b but I went ahead and got the pan he had with a oli pickup tub just in case. I looked all over the building and didn't find another pan. More than likely I did get a pan and oil pickup tube way way back but I'm sure I'll find it and the pickup tube I probably do have in a couple of years when I get my building cleaned up then I'll just put it up for sale then. I just want to have it when I need to finish the motor that I need to get back on.

Edited by edekalil
  • 5 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 2:10 AM, yenpit said:

geometry dash lite

I searched the entire building, but I couldn't find another pan. I think I did get an oil pickup tube and pan a long time ago, but I'm sure I'll find them, and in a few years I probably will have the pickup tube. 

• Haha 1