Oil Pan and timing chain cover Gasket Install. RTV or Not?

Hey All.

quick question. does the oil pan and timing chain cover have to use RTV silicon for the gasket? I've watched videos where some use the RTV and others No RTV. the gasket just goes in by it self with out any sealant. shine some light on the subject.

I've always used the RTV sealant but when replacing... it is a pain to remove 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, paradime said:

Is it more of a PITA to clean once, or wash your driveway every month if it leaks? I always us sealer because the cost vs benefit is obvious IMO.

yes it is a PITA having to wash the driveway. but it is always just a matter of time. I guess this is a real debate. I've never install gaskets dry and this is why I just thought it would be interesting to hear what others have to say on the Matter. Thanks for your input

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Logical1 said:

If you bought a quality gasket for your oil pan, NO RTV! The timing cover I could go both ways but I have never had a problem using quality gaskets dry.

I've always use FelPro with out issues but I guess the real reason for it is that I've always use RTV. Never Dry and even then they eventually start to leak LOL 

If you don't trust your work then yes.

If you didn't bother making both surfaces absolutely clean then yes.

If you don't plan on ever prying them apart with a screwdriver then if you want.

I would put a dab in the two bottom corners where oil pan/timing cover gaskets and block meet and at the top where timing cover/head gaskets and the block meat.

The whole point of a gasket is to compress and seal any small defects. Nissan didn't use it but RTV makers like to perpetuate the illusion nothing seals without it. You can always tell a GM owner/builder by the gobs of RTV on his engines. What ever squeeze out squeezes in and this stuff does not belong in the oil pan.

Just one example of what should not be in your cooling system...

I09FWrH.jpg

Ouch!!! I've come across that kind of stuff Mike. it is not good when someone's crappy work becomes someone else's nightmare. that right there is why i came up with this post. and see if I can change my habits and quit using it. especially  where you don't really need it. and well I am tired of having to pry the parts off of the engine

On 5/28/2023 at 12:18 AM, datzenmike said:

If you don't trust your work then yes.

If you didn't bother making both surfaces absolutely clean then yes.

If you don't plan on ever prying them apart with a screwdriver then if you want.

I would put a dab in the two bottom corners where oil pan/timing cover gaskets and block meet and at the top where timing cover/head gaskets and the block meat.

The whole point of a gasket is to compress and seal any small defects. Nissan didn't use it but RTV makers like to perpetuate the illusion nothing seals without it. You can always tell on gbwa GM owner/builder by the gobs of RTV on his engines. What ever squeeze out squeezes in and this stuff does not belong in the oil pan.

Just one example of what should not be in your cooling system...

I09FWrH.jpg

Using a Sealant:

Applying a sealant, such as RTV, can help prevent leaks and create a reliable seal.
Sealants can be effective in filling small defects and providing an extra layer of protection against leaks.
Sealants are commonly used in situations where gaskets may not be available or suitable.
However, it's important to apply the sealant properly and ensure that it does not interfere with other components or contaminate the system.
Using Gaskets:

Gaskets are designed to create a tight seal between two surfaces and prevent leaks.
They are often used in automotive applications and other mechanical systems.
Gaskets can provide a reliable and durable seal when installed correctly.
Using gaskets eliminates the need for sealant application and reduces the risk of contamination or interference.
However, gaskets may not always be available for every application, and their effectiveness can depend on the specific circumstances.
Ultimately, the choice between using a sealant or gaskets depends on factors such as the nature of the application, the availability of gaskets, personal preference, and the cost-benefit analysis. It's always advisable to follow manufacturer recommendations and consider the specific requirements of the system or component you are working with.

Built many engines.......I refuse to use the timing cover and oil pan gaskets.

RTV all the way.....these engine do not have the precise machining that modern engines do........AND......

.............especially after all the hacks that have put their hands on it over the years and ground the surfaces down trying to remove what little bits of those stupid paper gaskets.

If done correctly with the right amount of silicone......the engine won't leak nor will the silicone end up in your engine.................

....and yes.....if you forgot to tighten your pick up tube.....it's a pain to remove parts and clean up....

........so before you put it on......just make sure you're done in there.......

Maybe it's just me.........but das how I do.......

😁

I also put the timing cover before the head 😁

I have always used permatex a or permatex b sealant a thin layer goes a long way helps hold gaskets firmly 

I never use sealant on head gaskets and usually don't use it on intake or exhaust 

front cover and water ports and i use it on the oil pan as wellPermatex 80016 Form-a-gasket No 2 Sealant Non-hardening 3 Oz TubePermatex 80019 Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant, 4 oz.

image.webp

• Like 1