RPM's drop when I release the clutch in first gear

As the title says, RPM's drop when I release the clutch in first gear. The car idles fine at about 1K RPM. But when taking off in first gear, as soon as I release the clutch and roll into the throttle, the car bogs and I have to rev it to accelerate with out bogging. 

The car runs great in all gears, it only happens at take off. 

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks! 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well all standards do that taking off but if yours is more pronounced maybe it has a lightened flywheel??? Maybe low intake vacuum from big cam??

Look down the carburetor with choke and engine off. Pump the gas pedal. You should see a strong squirt of fuel into the primary bore. If weak or none the accelerator pump is bad.

The weather changed, so maybe jetting? Bogging off the line could be lean, if it spits and pops, or could be rich, if it just bogs hard and then goes. Are you revving it enough to clean it out? Or is it loading up? Lots of guys make the mistake of pumping the pedal and not revving the motor enough to clear out all that fuel. The engine has to come on the cam before it will clear out. You can hear the pitch change when your engine is on the cam.

• 3 weeks later...