pertronix to points conversion LOL

Lozer

Ok guys my pertronix fried on me. Well im waiting for my new unit to arive in the mail i thought i would go back to points so i can still drive it. (L20B)

i installed the points and adjusted them to .020 on the lobe of the dizzy cam.

the car will start run like crap and die. now if i adjust the points to say .12 or so the car runs ok but seems to cook the points in 2 days.

I installed a blaster 2 coil but the problem is the same with the original also.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok so i have to much voltage running to the points right? so whats the correct amount of voltage that i need to have going to the points. and whats the correct amount of voltage i should have going to a set of pertronix from the coil? the old set may have died of old age they looked to be quite dated. but i would like to check everything before installing the new set to avoid immidiate failure and loss of money.

Totally agree. Datsun did it right the first time, there's little room for improvement.

When you switched back to points did you switch back to the points coil?? It has a dropping resistor to lower the voltage across the points. Without it the points will fry in 50-200 miles.

Maybe the blaster coil fried the Pertronics because of low impedance too. Where's Hainz the Pertronics guru?

sweet i had a sneaking suspision i had to much voltage. when i get the pertronix ill call the company and find out what the optimum voltage is for that set up and post the info.

oh and for the record i put the blaster on after the pertronix died.

Edited by Lozer

Pertronix are very reliable.

Iam a big fan of them if you still have good single point Distributors

But there are made to used the stock coil and stock ballast resisitor as like points where still in there.

But they do sell a 3 ohm coil then you dont have to run the ballst and stock coil. this is a all in one sytem then.

So put the Pertroinix back in and the stock resitance coil 1.6 ohms and the stock ballast and hook the stock wireing. Remeber the hot start wire?

also the MSD coil is .7 ohms so you just added more current by putting a less ohm coil in there. Points do not like more current. Points systems run on 6-9 volts. They only get 12volt during the START position. So thats why your points dont last.

Could your post the Pertronix instructions for US?Maybe make a vedio of you reading it to us. Then you could anwser your own question.

also for added infor this also happens to Unitlite point conversions. people think they can pull out the ballast resisitor. Then they blow up those 100$ modules.

hope this Helps

here are 3 drawings.

If you want to use your MSD coil (.7 ohms) youll need to find your stock ballast resisitor 1.6 ohms and finda another balst of about .6-.9 ohms and that should keep the current low enough to run this system.

a Pertronx wants under 4 amps current. 12volt/3 ohms =4amps

My super coil is .7+stock ballst of 1.6+.85another ballast resisitor = 3.15ohms

12/3.15ohms=3.80amps

ballast510_thumb.jpg

pertronixstockcoilsetup_thumb.JPG

pertronixsupercoilsetup_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Ok, now that you guys think im a complete idiot that dosent read directions i would like to point out that i bought this car a month ago and it came with the pertronix running on a stock coil with no resistor in line. i drove the car fine up till last friday at which point it decided to completely die on me.

Not having a original points setup in the car or an easily accessable diagram with voltages of the proper wiring and components i decided to ask on this forum im sorry i asked but thanks for the info.

Now to ask a simple question and get ripped and heckled from multiple different sources while still giving the information is helpfull but GOD DAMN annoying. Assuming someone is an idiot reflects on your oversized ego and tiny view of the vistors and lurkers to this forum. and remember the first part of assumtion is ASS dont be one! i hope never to disturb the great and mighty smart asses on this forum again

and yea my grammer F***in sucks so what.

seems to cook the points in 2 days.

I installed a blaster 2 coil but the problem is the same with the original also.

that was a proplem you added to already a bad situation. But if you get a matchbox dizzy set up this will be fine.as its made to run on straight 12volts

No big dealabout ranking on you,

But it just helps if we know the basic information before hand cause we are not mind readers what was on the car. I will alway assume its stock unless you otherwise tell me.

I dont get spark, I dont get this, then I forgot to mention a added a tach then the thread turns in a 3 page article.

you have enough infor to get you by.

This is a simple fix.

PS I love my Pertronix and had them for over 8 years, Only part really to worry about is make sure the tape holding th magnets dont get bad. But you can get new magnet rings also 17413 is the part#

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Ok, now that you guys think im a complete idiot that dosent read directions i would like to point out that i bought this car a month ago and it came with the pertronix running on a stock coil with no resistor in line. i drove the car fine up till last friday at which point it decided to completely die on me.

Not having a original points setup in the car or an easily accessable diagram with voltages of the proper wiring and components i decided to ask on this forum im sorry i asked but thanks for the info.

Now to ask a simple question and get ripped and heckled from multiple different sources while still giving the information is helpfull but GOD DAMN annoying. Assuming someone is an idiot reflects on your oversized ego and tiny view of the vistors and lurkers to this forum. and remember the first part of assumtion is ASS dont be one! i hope never to disturb the great and mighty smart asses on this forum again

and yea my grammer F***in sucks so what.

Had you explained this from the beginning you probably would have gotten a different response, don't you think? Being a smartass in return doesn't gain you any respect... Besides all that you got the answers didn't you? Still complaining? What more do you want? For us to hold you hand and pat you on the fanny, tell you better luck next time?