Foreign object in cooling system

leoeotw

Hello all.

I tried to search for this info but I am not finding anything really related to my problem. I will spare you the sorted details but my problem is I have gotten a small half moon shaped piece of brass (half a dime size) down into the head through the thermostat housing. This is a 76 620 with the factory L20B engine.  I have used an inspection camera to look down into the head through the opening and have removed the water pump to look into the block, but I don't see this thing anywhere! I have flushed the system with a garden hose and have sucked out all the water I can but I still don't see it. Can I remove the head to find it or if I leave it alone would it pose a problem with cooling? I have a service manual but I have never messed with engines much so I am a little intimidated by the whole problem. I know there is no hard fast yes or no on my question because there are so many variables but I guess I am looking for the consensus of the group.

My profile background pic is the other half of the piece that is lost.

Edited by leoeotw
added more info to post.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hard to see the picture behind your name.....

Try to post a better one... just use the add files at the bottom of the replay box....

But this is my guess, from your description I think it's a piece of the thermostat... 

Screenshot_20230303-115352_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.3fcf636bda661e493dfb1c7845a0f1a0.jpg

Also if it's in the coolant system removing the head will no gain you access, they are small holes.... its probably just hanging out inside the block.... you would have to remove the freeze plugs to find it.... it shouldn't be able to make it to the water pump which would be my only concern,  since it would have to pass through the radiator....

Really the only issue is that it could find it's way to the water pump and get jammed or break an impeller, or worse, a piece of the timing cover. Doubtfull that would ever happen.

It's probably fallen into the block and could be accessible by removing the closest freeze plug. Clean the hole with a wire brush and install a new plug with a close fitting socket and hammer and a little smear of weatherstripping adhesive.

40 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Quick question,  how or why did you notice this brass piece?

Does the motor currently have a thermostat?

I inadvertently caused this problem when I tried to take out the temperature activated vacuum fitting on the side of the thermostat housing. It did have a thermostat in it but it didn't play a part in is mess.

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

It's hard to see the picture behind your name.....

Try to post a better one... just use the add files at the bottom of the replay box....

But this is my guess, from your description I think it's a piece of the thermostat... 

Screenshot_20230303-115352_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.3fcf636bda661e493dfb1c7845a0f1a0.jpg

Also if it's in the coolant system removing the head will no gain you access, they are small holes.... its probably just hanging out inside the block.... you would have to remove the freeze plugs to find it.... it shouldn't be able to make it to the water pump which would be my only concern,  since it would have to pass through the radiator....

I can't post pictures yet so that was a way to get it where it can be seen. Try this link right click and open it.

Photobucket | Gallery 

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

If it dont over heat then leave it alone. Hate for you to take Head off and induce more proplems

Take the thermostat out and maybe one day its on top side of the radiator by the cap

I looked this up in the service manual and I think you might be correct. If the water is forced up thorough the block into the head by the water pump through the thermostat into the upper part of the radiator (clockwise flow) then this piece could be pushed into the top of the radiator at some point? I was under the impression that the water flowed down through the head to the block into the water pump and up through the radiator then to the thermostat (counter clockwise flow).

Water flows out the thermostat down through the radiator and in the bottom of the water pump. This part could never get to the water pump without having to get past the heater core or the radiator. It's never going to be a problem and I seriously doubt there will ever be enough water flow to push it into the radiator.

YARN | But forget about it. I have. | The Sopranos (1999) - S06E13 Drama |  Video clips by quotes | 9927ef8f | 紗

Get a good nights sleep.

• Like 2

Crashtd420

Thanks for posting that for me.

This is a self-inflicted, head in butt problem, and I can tell you it is part of that thermal vacuum valve at the thermostat housing. They are hollow and can break easy when you are trying to get a stuck one out. And the bottom is not part of the actual part, it is like the bottom of a 55 gallon drum and will come off.  🤢 I broke off both thermostat cover bolts getting the original thermostat out, which was stuck open. I have the bolts out already and have the gaskets and parts to get it back together. 😊

After reading these responses I feel much better about putting this back together and driving it again. I appreciate all the attention you have given to my post.

• Like 1

Next time, if the engine runs, warm it up first and try loosening or drain the coolant below the sender and then heat the thermostat housing with a torch. They are known for breaking when removing.

• Like 1