New 1984 720 4x4 flatbed

Berkybot

I’ve recently bought an 84 720 with 4x4. It has a custom flatbed. I need ideas for what I can do to make this truck cooler, I want to accentuate it’s retro feel without it looking like just another old truck. Not looking to do any powertrain swaps but could use some suggestions on good wheels, mods, etc.

5A98F985-4F94-4BBA-86DB-075AF3A40C89.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't carry any load with the flatbed as it is, hits the tires on bumps I bet too. That flat bed is sitting on the original box mounts. Throw some 4x4s across side to side and attach the bed to that to allow for suspension movements.

15 hours ago, Bleach said:

3 inch lift all around

wider wheels / larger tires

I would not recommend doing this if you want the truck to be half drivable. If you install larger and much heavier tires especially if they are wider as well, the truck will barely be able to get out of it's own way. These trucks don't have much power to spare. Best to keep the tire size close to stock.

For low budget paint the cab. Time consuming but it will look new and you could get away with one quart of paint. There isn't much cab there being standard. Next a nice stakeside arrangement to make the bed more useful and give some eye appeal. Paint white for the farm truck look. You can use cheap house paint or sand and varnish for a fancier look but it will need mainence. Even cheap pine looks good varnished but spring for oak if in the budget.

Solid axle swap with Toyota axle

34x9.50 TSLs on stock steel wheels

Headache rack

...or roof rack, full length or shorty just above the cab

Loose the wooden bed sides and install side mount tool boxes

Old school looking lights on custom front grille guard

Big rope wrapped around grille guard (like they used to do before winches)

image.png.5dd1101c4928ea2bedf3cdc674190437.png

On 2/27/2023 at 2:58 PM, bottomwatcher said:

For low budget paint the cab. Time consuming but it will look new and you could get away with one quart of paint. There isn't much cab there being standard. Next a nice stakeside arrangement to make the bed more useful and give some eye appeal. Paint white for the farm truck look. You can use cheap house paint or sand and varnish for a fancier look but it will need mainence. Even cheap pine looks good varnished but spring for oak if in the budget.

You can get red oak and white oak and various other nice hard woods from pallet reclaim. They ship heavy objects like large ac units on hardwood pallets I just finished building a frame for a 6'X3' painting face edge and trim all from a single pallet cleaned up nice though I think I ended up making 8 passes with 4 different bits on the router to make the trim and then hand worked it with a chisel and sand paper.... if you like to make something out of nothing keep an eye out around ac distributors 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...