Replace 82 720 LZ22 with 84 720 LZ24

madddogg

I have had my 82 Kingcab 4x4 for 40 years and 580,000 miles. Did an off the frame restoration, painted frame, urethane suspension parts, new fuel and brake lines and then put a 1961 Falcon stationwagon body on it. Named it "Falconstein" It needs a little more power and I want to replace the z22 with a z24, not interested in building a frankenmotor or ka24e swap with all the related issues of that swap. I found a thread about this swap that used the word "closest" when describing a direct drop in fit. My question is, will an 84 720 z24 bolt "directly" in, meaning will it bolt directly to the 5 speed tranny and use the same flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, starter and motor mounts? I would like it to be as easy as pull one out and put the other in. I do all my own work but am getting old now and want it to be easy. I have access to a z24 but dont want to buy it and find out the hard way that it won't just "swap" without a fight. Thanks for any info on this.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it would be the very definition of a 'Drop In" swap.

The Z24 uses a 240mm flywheel/clutch and pressure plate while the Z22 is 225mm. The flywheels are the same just different bolt patterns for the different size pressure plates. Either will work but the release bearing collar or holder is intimately related to each clutch. If you use the Z22 flywheel then no worries BUT if you use the flywheel on the Z24 you will need the collar that was on the Z24 transmission.

Unless the Z24 is from a 4x4 you will need to put the Z22 oil pan and pick up tube on the Z24 so it clears the front differential.

The Z24 block is 2cm or 3/4" taller than the Z22". Otherwise identical. There may be a difference in the engine brackets to let the Z24 sit a little lower... maybe not.

The same transmission was used on the Z22 and the Z24 so no worries there. 

The Z24 is not a barn burner but it has LOTS of grunt and low speed torque. Perfect for a 4x4.

Thanks for the info datzen mike and love the breaking bad quote. Mine is a 82 720 4x4 and the donor engine is in an 84 720 4x4, both king cab so oil pan and pick up tube is probably not a concern and, if I'm reading this right, I can just bolt my Z22 flywheel to the Z24 engine and all is good.

My body was getting pretty rusty from being in Reno snow and road chemicals so I found a 1961 Falcon Station Wagon, same wheel base dimension, left the gas tank where it is and had to add another gas door, from Mitsubishi eclipse with chevy suburban filler neck, that was shaped perfect, with one rubber connection. Datsun steering column with 6" extension bolted right into falcon dash, and instrument cluster, added 7" extension on gear shifter, used whole wiring harness, spliced right to most of ford lights and 88 Nissan e-brake lever, no room for 720 e-brake lever, used Falcon clutch and brake pedals, near perfect fit with different hole position to hook up with datsun clutch master and brake booster/master set up and datsun gas pedal bolted right to Falcon firewall.

Had to get creative with body mounts but just added to the original datsun ones, the ford unibody frame slid right down between two front bed towers with 1/8 clearance on each side, put 1" rubber underneath and 1/8" rubber on each side and back was lined up perfectly, used datsun oem rubber on front mounts with little creative metal to attach the front, creative metal work on several other body points and 4 years down the road and no issues.

Porshe 911 seats and few other odd parts from couple other vehicles, thank god for pick n pull. Hence the name Falconstein. Hope I am not pissing off some of the hardcore Datsun guys by chopping up (bastardizing) my old King Cab but the bed was badly rusted and the cab was not that bad but I also wanted more weatherproof space. It is my hunting fishing rig and works well for sleeping in when its raining to hard for a tent. It is a great daily driver also but would benefit greatly from a little more power, slightly heavier now. Thanks Again for the Knowledge you impart.