Cartech turbo kit

obrut

What would a used Cartech turbo kit be worth for a L16 or L20b?  Lets say its complete or at least all the main stuff is there, turbo, intake, exhaust manifold etc.  I would like to try a turbo L20b at some point in my 510 and I think the cartech one would be the way I would go.  Saying that, I know I can build a manifold, I know engine swaps to newer engines can make more power, and I've read all the turbo Tom and Jason Gray stuff.  I have a few pictures saved of a few 510s with a DIY turbo kit most look similar to the layout Jason used.  I like the cartech manifolds and with a L20b it looks right... what you would have seen back in the day.

I search every once in a while but honestly I wouldn't know what to pay for one.

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A vintage period correct turbo setup would be really cool. Didn't the Cartech turbo use an SU carb? If so, you could swap an SU copy EFI throttle body onto it.

Is this it?

image.png.7fba6840bea88425dc5438e17f6ac6f4.png

I've seen them with what looks like a weber 32/36, 2bl holley and a single SU.  I think that picture was a DIY setup from the Jason Gray article.

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

A terrible idea. Quickest way to blow up an engine with old out dated turbo.  

Just the turbo, that could be changed or are you referring to the entire setup?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, obrut said:

I've seen them with what looks like a weber 32/36, 2bl holley and a single SU.  I think that picture was a DIY setup from the Jason Gray article.

Just the turbo, that could be changed or are you referring to the entire setup?

Turbo is fine.  It's the fuel and timing that will kill it.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Icehouse said:

isn't there a video of that truck where a big chunk of the piston lands next to a dude?  

The dodge? I didn't hear about the piston, but there are videos of that explosion. Here's one showing three different angles. Check out the passenger's exit.

• Like 1