Stock 521 rim width

Socalman

I think it seems to be 6” but I don’t have the right tools to get an accurate measurement short of taking tire off and measuring. I can fit the stock 14” wheel with the front disk brake conversion but turning the wheel around gets me close the the offset I’m going to need short of knowing rim width. Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• datzenmike changed the title to Stock 521 rim width

I have a wheel in my garage without a tire that I can measure later. It’s definitely more narrow than 6”. 

I don’t know how wide your flares are, but an 8” rim with a -19 offset would probably fit almost exactly how you want them.

Edited by mainer311
42 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I have a wheel in my garage without a tire that I can measure later. It’s definitely more narrow than 6”. 

I don’t know how wide your flares are, but an 8” rim with a -19 offset would probably fit almost exactly how you want them.

Thing is that picture there is with a 2" spacer, which I would need to run to clear calipers with anything less that a 16" wheel. I want to run a 15" wheel, so I assume the 8" with -19 is based on a stock brake setup? I appreciate you checking on that width later. 

brakes 521.jpg

20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Should be same as the early 620. It says 4" and later 4.5".... but that seems kind of narrow to me.

This is because I didn't run the stock rims for long and ran 6 bolt Ford or Chev rims that were 6" or 7" wide. They looked fine with 33s on them.

2 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

If you're looking to run stock rims, my brake kit is the only one. I have two left....more info on my site.... bluehandfab.com

More info on the stock rims.....

I don't need another brake kit, I have one installed already, that I want to run with 15" wheels. I just want to get offset right and find out how to check if they will clear the calipers I have and look good with the bodykit I have with fender flares, I now know the 14" do  not clear calipers. I am however interested in the MC rod and adj tension rod, site says it is not setup for payments. 

Where are they not clearing? Grinding the caliper is an option if only small amount. 2" spacer??? insane amount. Not enough homework done before buying brake kit. Too late now but make the brakes fit the truck, not the truck fit the brakes.

D184C3A6-0EA7-4DAA-B1FE-CD0671AB6B3F.jpeg

Tires should be inside fender or flair. Eventually you'll hit something unforeseen and the body will come down on that flare and wreck it. Not to mention dirt flung up by the extended tire.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Where are they not clearing? Grinding the caliper is an option if only small amount. 2" spacer??? insane amount. Not enough homework done before buying brake kit. Too late now but make the brakes fit the truck, not the truck fit the brakes.

D184C3A6-0EA7-4DAA-B1FE-CD0671AB6B3F.jpeg

Tires should be inside fender or flair. Eventually you'll hit something unforeseen and the body will come down on that flare and wreck it. Not to mention dirt flung up by the extended tire.

The brakes fit the truck! lol. I have the brakes that I wanted on the truck, Now I'm doing my homework on the best wheel fit with the flares and brake kit. That picture there is just the stock wheel flipped around for measurement purposes, therefore the reason for asking its width....the brake kit requirements called for......16 inch wheels Minimum. 16 inch steel sunraisers were tested by a customer and did not fit without wheel spacer. Diameter of 16 inch is fine. The shape of the face of the wheel will be the deciding factor if it will rub the caliper or not. Any 16 will work with a 1 inch wheel spacer. Or get a 17 inch wheel and have no spacer. 2006 Nissan Titan stock oem wheels will fit without spacer. BUT, HERES THE BIG BUT, THEY HAVE A PICTURE OF A CUSTOMER WHOM INSTALLED THIS KIT AND USED A 15" WHEEL, they couldn't give me any info on it when I asked if they knew what spacer or backspacing was used, only that it was a Rota wheel.... 

wildwood 1.jpg

wildwood 2.jpg

• Like 1

The brakes fit the truck but don't fit the rims, thus they don't really fit the truck. These couldn't have been for a 521.

Well again, where is it rubbing on the caliper? If on top you may be able to grind some metal away for clearance. If on the face a rim with more negative off set would space it away from the caliper.

13 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Those Rotas (RB’s) are 5 lug, so either they went the Tanker route and changed hubs, or they (more likely) used 6 to 5 lug adapters, thus spacing the 15” wheels away from the calipers.

correct, either way I know its at least 1" spacer, that's way I have 2" spacers that I can always have machined to less if needed. offset is what I'm still working on to get close to the look I need/want. I'm leaning towards 4" BS with 8" wide rim or 3" BS with 7"

I've been looking at wheels from Japan lately, and there are usually a couple good offsets. (Better than what I have now.) They're 15x8 +0, and 15x7 -13. The area to watch out for on these trucks is the inset on the wheel, because too much inset will allow the tires to contact the tension rods in the front. 

t2ZqCzP.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, Socalman said:

correct, either way I know its at least 1" spacer, that's way I have 2" spacers that I can always have machined to less if needed. offset is what I'm still working on to get close to the look I need/want. I'm leaning towards 4" BS with 8" wide rim or 3" BS with 7"

Simple spacers can be machined, but spacers with studs in them can not be machined. Machining them would weaken them. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, for future reference, anyone running or wanting to run the silvermine motors WILWOOD FRONT BRAKE UPGRADE KIT, it will require a minimum of a 15" wheel with a 1" spacer, I am running the rocket bunny body kit so my wheel are going to be 15"x8" with a -22 to tuck into fender flares. I'll update pictures once I have tires them. 

wheels4.jpg

wheels3.jpg

wheels.jpg

wheels2.jpg

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

By selecting the proper off set you should be able to eliminate the 1" spacer and longer lugs.

The issue is that the front face of the caliper sticks out too far in relation to the front mounting face of the rotor.

• Like 1