Replacing My Starter

MinuteMilitia

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am replacing the starter because it suddenly stopped starting. Specifically it lacks power to turn over. Lights, electric etc works. New-ish battery (less than a year.) Deteriorated start quality over time generally. When describing these issues to a friend they recommended working on the starter.

The previous issues starting featured repeated attempts to start, usually 2 but it had increased to 3-4 in the last 2ish weeks to maybe a month. 

What else would you look at! I can return the starter, absolutely no problem there and am willing to work on whatever since its all learning experience for me! 

Thanks!

You could try booster cables from a known good vehicle. This would prove/disprove the battery only as the cause. Then connect cables directly to the intake and the starter lug and this proves or eliminates poor battery cables as the cause. Costs nothing to do.

If it just turns slower and slower and the battery has been eliminated as the problem then probably the starter. If the solenoid chatters before turning or the starter spins wildly but doesn't engage the engine and turn it that could be a wear start signal from the ignition switch.

Definitely keep the old one if it's an original Nissan starter, and have it professionally rebuilt. I'm expecting the replacement one will fail sooner than later. Quality is quite bad.