1979 datsun 810 two door

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an L24 EFI but definitely not a 240z engine. Crank and rods I think were slightly different and the head was a different casting. The '78-'80 810 and the '81-'84 Maximas had them.

I think they would work very well in a z car but that's about all that they will fit.

If it’s cheap ,,,, and If it’s a hatchback even cheaper . 

If you like it buy it … If buying to flip , they still aren’t worth that much even in really nice condition. Hatchbacks are very hard to resale . 

but it’s weird though,,,, cuz for the life of me I can’t get your pictures to show on my phone. 

Edited by bananahamuck

My son does too,,, but he’s literally dating an illegal immigrant right now so I’m thinking his judgment is suspect . 

Although .  When he brought her over for Christmas.. His mother and I were happy that at least she was a she and didn’t end up having a wiener  

. millennials 

am I right ? 

• Haha 1
  • datzenmike changed the title to 1979 datsun a10 two door
16 hours ago, 2002jm said:

Sorry guys; it is an 810 2 door. have a full gauge cluster; looking like a 240z interior. It was raining so hard I could not get good pictures so I will go back and see what I can get next week. thanks, jm

I merged the A10 post into this one.

So you are looking for a six cylinder engine for a 240z????? The L24 in the 810 has the oil pick up tube mounted far to the front of the block than the pick up in the L24 that was more central on the block in the 240z. The 240z pan would probably fit but the pickup tube would need to be modified to reach to the back.

The 810 interior and dash look nothing like the 240z. They are about 8 years apart and a different model car. They are built on a similar platform length for a six cylinder and IRS. If thinking of grafting an 810 dash into a 240z go for it.

I'm reading that he found an 810 2dr & is considering buying it..............??  That's a rare bird, but unfortunately that does not make it valuable............kinda like the 1974 260Z being a one year model, but it does not add value.  That said, body parts, trim & interior are gonna be VERY hard to find parts, that are 2dr specific.  My guess is that there were much more 4dr's produced.  If the car has already been hacked up, I would suggest walking away, because in order to UN-hack it, would be difficult, cuz of lack of parts!

As datzenmike mentions, it should have an L24 similar to the carbureted 240Z L24, but fuel injected in the 810.  Keep in mind that that fuel injection system is old technology.........not much horsepower to be found!  If it is a nice clean car & you want to modify it, I bet an L28 would swap right in (the 810 L24 oil pan & pick up tube would swap right over), then a set of the 240Z dual SU Hitachi carbs, or better yet, a set of triple Webers/Mikuni's would likely work nicely (carburetors do not require an electrical system to operate, like fuel injection) or one of the triple Jenvey throttle body set ups for the Z cars...........??  I highly doubt that you could find a tubular exhaust header to fit that chassis, but you can make one OR perhaps a Z car header would fit.......??  A MANUAL pedal set might be out there for the 810 chassis, but I bet you would be buying from another country.  A 5 speed trans would bolt up to any of the L series engines, but you would either have to fabricate mounts etc or again, maybe buy parts that bolt in from another country..........??

I love restomod stuff on unique cars, so keep us updated! 😎 

Wow, cool find!  Well, I NEVER outwardly just make an offer on ANY car.  You could offer way more than the seller thought or you could insult them to the point where they kick you out!  It truly is not a valuable car, but it is unique!  It is worth what you are willing to invest...............but if I was to consider that car, I would be under $1000.  I ALWAYS ask a seller to put a number on it, then go from there!

One of my favorite responses to a seller that says "Well how much will you give me for it?", comes from Mike Wolfe on American Pickers.........."Come on, I can't sell it & buy it too!!"

Had a local guy call, said he had a 1977 280Z in his garage for 20++ years, hadn't touched it in last 5 years, were we interested?  "Yes, what do you want for it?"  "Well, why don't you come look at it, make an offer?"  The problem here is that our time is valuable.  If we got out there & he said he wanted $10k, it would not be for us, thus a waste of time.  I explained, said "Why don't you sleep on it, let me know what you want for it?"  Now, that too is dangerous, cuz many will jump on internet & assume their car is a gold mine.  He called me back the next morning, gave me a number.  I RAN to my boss, said get yer truck, let's get the trailer, we have a 280Z to buy!  We spent 2minutes looking at the car, I told my boss "Get the money out NOW!"  We paid him, and he said "Great, now let's get the boxes of NEW & USED parts out of the garage!".  That was one of the best purchases we have made!  That car is now 95% restomod'd & beautiful!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yenpit said:

I bet an L28 would swap right in (the 810 L24 oil pan & pick up tube would swap right over),

TJ I think where the pick up tube mounts to the block on the 810/Maxima L24 is different and way up near the front, where the Z car pickups are more in the middle near where the oil filter is on the outside. You would have to extend the L28 tube forward to the front sump oil pan.

• Like 1
Just now, datzenmike said:

TJ I think where the pick up tube mounts to the block on the 810/Maxima L24 is different and way up near the front, where the Z car pickups are more in the middle near where the oil filter is on the outside. You would have to extend the L28 tube forward to the front sump oil pan.

Hmmmmmm.  It is a LONG block!?  The L20B was available in rear sump (way more common) & front sump.  All they did was reengineer the oil pick up tube to suit the sump.............it bolted to the block in the same spot (same spot as the L16 L18 too).  I'm gonna leave this info here, but.............

Mike you are correct on the 6cyl!  I just looked at an LD28 diesel block that we have kept around, after pirating the diesel crank out of it!  The LD28 came in..............the Maxima chassis & had a different oil pan, thus sump, thus oil pick up tube.  The standard Z car L28 had the oil pick up tube mounting point about halfway in between front to back of block (as you thought)................the diesel block had the mounting point only 4-1/2 inches back, from the front of the block!  And, BOTH blocks have the "boss" in the casting.  The diesel LD28 block is only a "boss" where the standard pick up is, with a blank hole machined, but no actual oil passage.  The standard L28 block has the diesel pick up "boss", but it is completely blank, no machining!  That said, Rebello is apparently using the LD28 diesel block to build a 3.5L, but I have never talked to him about it.  It must have really thick cylinder bore walls??  So that lends to the question if there is enough horizontal space between the block & the shallow end of the sump, to "extend" an oil pick up tube (as you suggested) OR can the standard L28 block be machined to open up & utilize the forward oil pick up mounting point for the 810/Maxima chassis & oil pan combo??  THIS is what makes this stuff fun!! 😎

2002jm if you are NOT looking to modify the 810, you might struggle with the old technology EFI system..................especially because parts will likely NOT be available.  We have to send fuel injectors out for rebuilding for any 280Z's we are working on!  So if you were looking for a cool mod & more performance, I bet installing a set of the 240Z dual Hitachi carbs (round top only, NOT the flat top) would wake it up.  Again, a set of triple sidedraft Weber's or Mikuni's would be way cool, but likely more effort & tuning requirements!

Hi: Is it possible to find the manifold and the carbs; the dual carbs easily, or is that going to be a major hunt....I do like hunting for parts!

How much hp could you expect with the fuel injection vrs the dual carbs? I also suppose you would have to change the fuel pump, or put a fuel regulator on the car for the 

carbs. 

thanks for all the good information...btw the interior in like new and the wheels look great too:).

jm

55 minutes ago, 2002jm said:

Hi: Is it possible to find the manifold and the carbs; the dual carbs easily, or is that going to be a major hunt....I do like hunting for parts!

How much hp could you expect with the fuel injection vrs the dual carbs? I also suppose you would have to change the fuel pump, or put a fuel regulator on the car for the 

carbs. 

thanks for all the good information...btw the interior in like new and the wheels look great too:).

jm

The factory 240Z dual Hitachi ROUND TOP carb set ups complete, show up for sale relatively often for $250-450, but typically need rebuilding.  If you are experienced with that, they are pretty straight forward.  If not, ZTherapy in CA will rebuild them.  They offer a "basic rebuild" which looks good & they offer a "full restoration rebuild", where thry yellow zinc all of the pieces parts.............they look NEW!  We sometimes have complete sets, as we use triple sidedraft carbs on all of our vintage race builds, thus often have spare parts that we will not use.  We also do street Z rebuilds/resto's & always send to ZTherapy for their full rebuilding service!  If you buy the 810 & think that's the direction you want to go, message me here (PM) to see if we have any for sale!

What was the factory HP rating for the 810?  Compare it to the 240Z, which was around 150hp.  You would not see a big gain, but it sure would be cool!  Keep in mind that you can also have a slightly larger exhaust system custom made (you will NOT find a bolt on aftermarket exhaust for the 810!), along with a good higher flowing muffler.  Now, if you go to triple sidedraft carbs or an aftermarket EFI system like the Jenvey (look at 240Z applications), you WILL see a noticeable improvement in power, with proper tuning.  Talk about LOOKING cool too, under the hood! 😎

PS you will very likely just use your existing factory cast iron exhaust manifold & downpipe.  Any L series 6cyl exhaust manifold or aftermarket Z car header should bolt up to your cylinder head, but I will have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER if a Z car manifold (dual downpipe) or a Z car header would clear your steering, subframe, frame rails etc.

Yes, a fuel pressure regulator is a good idea, as the SU Hitachi carbs (and the Weber/Mikuni's) do not require the higher pressure of EFI.  We put electric pumps on all of our race builds, along with a regulator.  I can help guide you on the components we use, but we do NOT buy the cheapest parts, as you get what you pay for!  I see you might be a 2002 guy?  If so, you understand! 😁

On 1/5/2023 at 3:41 PM, datzenmike said:

Who's coming to (Christmas) dinner?  Well at least it wasn't a Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn moment. Am I right?

more like…

at least it wasn’t a To Wong Foo ,, Noxeema Jackson moment . 

• Like 1

I just rewatched Lillies of the field on Amazon prime couple weeks ago . 
one of the corny-er of those of that era , but still a good watch . 

Haven’t seen commercial free version of ,Uptown Saturday night in forever 

• Like 2